UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
Went down to Bexhill to see friends today and part way I got a bong-bong and 'Brake Light Failure' flashed up on the SID. No time to check then but it came up with the first application of the brakes after every restart.
Checked the lights when I got home and all looked fine. Knowing a dodgy bulb can cause problems I changed both for new ones but I am still getting the 'Brake Light Failure' message. There is one LED out in the high level brake light but it has been like that for ages. Any ideas what else could cause it?

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 1.9tiD Vector S Anniversry
I had to replace a rear bulb recently and kept getting the message on sid after. A forum member (cjapeterborough) recommended replacing both bulbs with two of the same make and no problems since.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:11 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Have you pushed one b ulb in too far? It's easy to do. If they go in too far the bulb will turn a bit further than it should and the brake and tail light circuits can short together - and cause other issues!! Try hooking the bottom contact spring up a bit to make sure that the bulb is more likely to be in the right place. The holder is very cheap and thin and it soon loses its springiness.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Replaced both bulbs with new and checked the pins were in the right location. Both brake lights work fine just keep getting the message. Will check again when I can that the contacts are OK but, as noted, both brake lights worked with the old bulbs and with the new bulbs.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
It's possible that the high level light is failing. If one bulb has gone the others may be on the way. I can't remember if your light is bulbs or an LED strip...

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2000 9-3 viggen convertible.
I know on my viggen when I fitted led’s to the high level brake light it caused the warning on the sid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm 
UKS Addict

As far as I know the H/L brake light is LED. One LED (out of about 16) has been out for a long time but maybe the others are deteriorating. I will get an ebay one and change it to see if that cures the problem.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
I think when the high-level (LED) brake light went dodgy on my old 'vert (2008MY), that made the brake light warning message come up too. Might be worth disconnecting the high-level light as a quick test - which is what I did on mine until I replaced the high level fitting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:25 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
TWSaab wrote:
As far as I know the H/L brake light is LED. One LED (out of about 16) has been out for a long time but maybe the others are deteriorating. I will get an ebay one and change it to see if that cures the problem.

Standard wedge type filament lamps on the 9-5 high level and the lamp monitor WILL notice if they are failing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Really? Damn, I have just bought a second hand one off ebay, another spare to fit in the garage. I was convinced I had seen somewhere it was an LED strip.
Funny thing was, tonight I started and drove out of the car park in Tonbridge and out through the town (using the brakes numerous times) without any warning coming up. Then driving onto the A21 it went bing-bong and came up again with feet nowhere near the brake pedal.

EDIT: Just checked in the EPC (which I should have done in the first place) and it is described as a 'Diode Unit' Part No 54 07 572, no replacement bulbs are shown unlike the other lamp clusters for the Estate. However, the saloon does have 5 wedge bulbs.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Just went to have a look at trying Sounds disconnection method (ran out of time to dismantle it out though). Checked the brake light operation again and no warning message but the LED next to the failed one was flashing and flickering so it could well be the lamp unit. Will fit the 'new' one when it arrives and hope that cures it altogether.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
9000Parts wrote:
TWSaab wrote:

Standard wedge type filament lamps on the 9-5 high level and the lamp monitor WILL notice if they are failing.

a check of EPC shows that the saloon uses bulbs, the estate uses LED - or at least between 2002 and 2005, which the OP's estate falls within:

Article : Diode unit
PartNo : 5407572
Order Quantity : 1

I have a feeling that when the LED unit went sideways on my 9-3 'vert, that was flickering (rather than completely failed) too ...