UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero saloon (MY00)
1999 9-5 Aero, manual.

I'm in a bit of a pickle! Last week I dropped the sump on my 9-5 without too much hassle. It's one of these early manual Aeros with the stupid stiffened sump that you have to cut holes in by the gearbox to get at two hidden bolts. But with that done, sure enough as per everything I'd read, it wasn't coming out without some jiggery pokery. Didn't take long though, all I did was undo the top gearbox mount and jack the 'box up about an inch, tried again and the sump slid out without much hassle.

So today's plan was to clean the block face (I'd already cleaned the sump face) for the sealant, and do a trial fit before putting the sealant on. Now as I said, the sump came out fairly easily, but I knew I was going to need a bit more clearance to get it back in without ruining the sealant bead in the process. So on to the test fit........

3 very knackering and frustrating hours later, I'm no further on :wall:

I just cannot get the sump to clear the subframe no matter what I try. It's so odd because this isn't just a little bit of catching, this is a massive clearance issue! And yet it came out OK :loco: I've tried it with the gearbox in it's normal position, the gearbox raised, the gearbox half way. I've tried it with the engine raised. I've tried it with both ends raised. I've tried it with the engine moved across (even with mounts undone, I can only get the engine to move across about 1-2cm, and I reckon I'd need another 2cm across to possibly get the sump in ). Oh, and I tried it with the passenger side sitting back on it's wheel and only the driver's side up on an axle stand, to help shift the weight of the engine over.

I've reached the point where I think the only option I Have left is to lower the subframe. Has anyone else had this same problem and had to lower their subframe? I'm a bit cautious about this but I think this is my last shot. Can the subframe be lowered a couple of inches without having to be removed completely (is there enough length in the bolts)? DO I still need to do every step - i.e. removing pipes and radiators and steering components that are connected to the frame - if I only want to lower the frame by a couple of inches?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
Sven Av Vapen,

This is a common problem. What I have done is to insert a wooden wedge between the subframe and the crank pulley. Hammer it in and the sump should fiddle into position. I've done about a dozen sumps over the years and there seems no rhyme nor reason to how easy or difficult they are to remove and replace. Work on the principle that it WILL come out and if it came out it WILL go back in. It can be difficult and frustrating but ultimately it will fit !

Paul @ Kippen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
I can remember one of mine being an absolute pig to go back on, even though it came out quite easily. Drove me bananas!

It took time and lots of wiggling and possibly loosening the front subframe bolts (but not removing) to get it all back together. Might even have put the engine crane on and lifted a bit too!

9-5 saloon - battered

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Well I expected some issues, I knew it wouldn't be fun and games. But it's just so dang weird that it came out without too much fuss but will not go back in the same way!

Anyway, I'd asked the same question in a FB group and one of the (seemingly very knowledgeable) chaps there says he always loosens the OS subrame bolts for extra clearance on every sump drop he does. So that's my next line of attack.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

And......it's done :mrgreen:

Even after lowering the subframe it wasn't a walk in the park. I started off by lowering the driver's side as far as it would go with the front bolt removed completely and the middle and rear just wound in a few threads, and the 3 bolts on the passenger side just slackened off slightly. Checked sump clearance, not happening.

So then with the subframe left like that I then tried lifting the engine again at the crank pulley end. TRied again, not happening. It was close......sooooo close. I could see now that I wasn't going to get the clearance height wise, so I had to try and get the side to side clearance. So I lowered the engine back to normal, loosened the g'box mount again, and levered the block over as hard as I could (crow bar between the inner wing and crank pulley). Somehow whilst under the car I managed to lift the sump with one hand while pulling the lever at the same time....................oh we are sooooooo close now! I was now down to 1mm, maybe a fraction of a mm needed to get the sump to clear the bottom edge of the gearbox. THe block wasn't going to move across any further (the g'box mount was butted up against the bodywork on that side now). So then I tried lifting the gearbox, not all the way, just maybe a cm. Tried again, and finally it went in :mrgreen: Had a few more practise runs to see how best to slip it in without disturbing the sealant. Then stripped the sump down to clean it all over again (all this mucking about had left it covered in dirt and debris again), got the sealant on and very slowly slipped it in to place without any more dramas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
Sven,

Well done. You did replace the O rings on the pick up and turbo transfer pipes, didn't you !

Paul @ Kippen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Yes I did Paul :wink:

Did the whole PCV kit today and the oil pressure switch (that was fun :cen: ).