UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm 

Car Model: 2006 9-3 Sportwagon
Oh dear, I just bought a 2006 9-3 Sportwagon and I've had to top-up the coolant level twice. It seems to be losing about 15mm per week.
I've checked the hose running from the reservoir to the engine and I can't see anything obvious.
There does seem to a small pool of liquid at the bottom of the engine bay directly below the reservoir and a pipe above the pool seems damp. (I've dipped some tissue paper into the pool and it could be pink liquid, but I'm not sure.)

I've attached a picture. The red arrow points to the pool and the blue arrow to the pipe above it...

Can anyone tell from the picture where the leak might be, or what I should do next?

(I've just had the cam-belt and water pump changed. That couldn't somehow be the cause could it?)

Attachments:
coolant leak.jpg
coolant leak.jpg [ 99.35 KiB | Viewed 74 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
Push the reservoir upwards and out...it pivots on the clips against the firewall and check the outlet pipe underneath.
Held on with a push clip.
If the reservoir has been moved to do some work the hose can come loose.
Also fairly common for the tank to fracture and leak under pressure...or crack the spigot pipes in and out...due to
shall we sell less competant mechanics.
My money is on the reservoir leaking underneath and dripping down.

Tanks are cheap..........and easy to change.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:06 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 '06 Sportwagon
I too seem to be loosing a slight amount (10-15mm) of coolant over a two-three week period. I've got a self service ramp booked for Tuesday to do a couple of other jobs so I'll have a proper look then. If I can't find anything obvious I might look into adding some coolant leak tabs/liquid to see if that helps. Just thought I'd mention the tabs/liquid as an idea for you. Will have to do some research before hand to see which is safe to use with the GM coolant.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 pm 

cjapeterborough wrote:
Push the reservoir upwards and out...it pivots on the clips against the firewall and check the outlet pipe underneath.
Held on with a push clip.
If the reservoir has been moved to do some work the hose can come loose.
Also fairly common for the tank to fracture and leak under pressure...or crack the spigot pipes in and out...due to
shall we sell less competant mechanics.
My money is on the reservoir leaking underneath and dripping down.

Tanks are cheap..........and easy to change.

Thanks cjapeterborough,
I removed the tank, and took a look at the pipe and the tank.
I couldn't see any obvious cracks in the tank itself and although the tube seems old and slightly perished, again I didn't see any obvious ruptures.
I did notice some moisture around the top of the pipe where it connects to the tank. Could that be the problem?

Attachments:
pipeMoisture.jpg
pipeMoisture.jpg [ 91.56 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg [ 74.58 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]
pipeMoisture.jpg
pipeMoisture.jpg [ 91.56 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm 

here's the other side of the pipe

Attachments:
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg [ 74.58 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:28 pm 
Saab Nut

Run you finger on the underside of the tank next time you run the car under pressure.
They develop hair line cracks ...had to change the tank on my sons 06 9-3 for that reason.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm 

Thanks again,
So does the tube and it's connection to the tank look ok to you?
I'm not sure how tight it should be, but it doesn't look exactly flush to me. Good enough?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 pm 
Saab Nut

tmcthree wrote:
Thanks again,
So does the tube and it's connection to the tank look ok to you?
I'm not sure how tight it should be, but it doesn't look exactly flush to me. Good enough?

Looks ok to me...but odds are its an issue with the expansion tank leaking slightly under pressure based on where you are seeing the coolant residue.
You could wrap some kitchen roll around the underside securing with some tape.........?