UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 pm 

Car Model: 9-5 estate. 2.0T (yr2000 W)
Hi All,

Just bought my first Saab! YS3E estate. Doing the ECU swap to turn my 205E into 205L sounds like a no brainer. I realise this has been covered in other posts but I still have few questions I can't get a firm answer to. I haven't pulled my ECU to get any numbers off it yet but any would be help greatly appreciated.

1) I have 9-5, can I use a 9-3 ECU?
2) My car is a manual does it mater if the new ECU came out of an auto?
3) My car is year 2000 (W). how can I identify a unit that will work with my car from the numbers on it. Is it as easy as just getting one with a similar date on it?
4) Does anyone know of anybody in Cornwall/South west with tech2 who can pair it with the car for sensible money?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A220d AMG 7sp DCT
Im not a T7 guy, so not 100% on this.
But Trionic contains vehicle specific data, such as the Gear ratios. So it knows what gear your in at any given speed / rpm.
So ideally it needs to be from the same spec of car.

Or, just send the spare ECU to Saabnoob and he can prep it all for you and post it back to you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
The best option may be to pay a bit more to Saabnoob, he can then provide you with a spare ECU with the new map on it. Pretty sure any Trionic 7 9-3 or 9-5 ECU can be used as the hardware inside is the same ... but he'll need you car's VIN and the immobiliser code - which is on a label attached to the main connector - from yours. Be very careful to get this correct (don't mix 'O' and '0', for instance) - as if it's wrong, your car won't start.

But - provided the codes are correct, the "new" ECU should be plug and play - unless any other hardware changes are required (e.g., installation of an APC solenoid) - again, Saabnoob will be able to advise you accordingly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
1) Some 9-3s had the T7 ECU but it was only around 99-01 before they went to T8 which isnt compatible.
2) An Auto ECU will work as it will just know if there is an Auto gearbox or not. Mapping wont be ideal though.
3) Any ECU that says AFM7.7 somewhere on the label is suitable.
4) No.

Without Tech-II or as suggested a remap all you have at the moment is a big paperweight. It IS worth spending the money on sending the ECU to Karl for a Stage 1 remap. He will tell you exactly what you need to do and a few days later you get the ECU returned to you with about 80BHP more than you have at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:59 pm 

Thanks fellas,

I had a very enlightening email exchange with Karl last and stage-1 Noob is definitely the way to go. I might wait and see if a better car comes along first though as this one is a bit of a stinker (I bought it for £200!).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:53 am 
Talking Turkey

Donesy wrote:
Thanks fellas,

I had a very enlightening email exchange with Karl last and stage-1 Noob is definitely the way to go. I might wait and see if a better car comes along first though as this one is a bit of a stinker (I bought it for £200!).

Cheap enough to tidy them up though. So long as the engine is healthy everything else is straightforward.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 am 

Yeah, as I was saying to karl, there's a bit of question mark over the engine. I dropped the sump as I noticed the PCV update had never been done and it was proper horror story. There was an inch and half high pile of sludge totally clogging the strainer!

But I've had the rocker cover off and the cams looked great, it wasn't throwing up an oil light, it starts and runs faultlessly, No smoke whatsoever, no rattles/noise and the MOT emissions were spot on. But at 168K it's hard to believe it hasn't suffered from all that oil starvation.

It's coming back from the MOT retest on Monday so I'll be able to put some proper mileage on after that.

+ The body work and interior are sub-optimal to say least. I think was used as a farm car before getting parked under a tree for two years. They are so cheap for a tidy one I may as well put the money towards buying one with half the miles on it.

And the chassis is on verge of starting to go downhill quickly if I dont get on with some major rust treatment.

It's a shame because it would have been a lovely motor in it's prime. Cayenne red metallic, cream leather and walnut dash. But basically worthless now with all those miles on it no matter how tidy it is. I just can't afford to pump money into negative equity labour of love.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:01 am 
Active user

Car Model: Working on it
Sorry to hijack a bit but rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just ask here (I have searched). Can Karl (noobtune) do anything with a T5? If not, who can?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
Bigfootisblurry wrote:
Sorry to hijack a bit but rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just ask here (I have searched). Can Karl (noobtune) do anything with a T5? If not, who can?

No he can't. Jules is the person for this. Jules_ht I think is the forum name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm 

OK, so I Put 70+ miles on it today and I couldn't get the computer to register better than 28mpg from 0 trip mileage at the start. pulled the plugs and they look OK, a little bit of blackening but lots of nice sandy beige colour too. Any common issues on the 2.0T that give poor MPG? It seems to be running really well, it doesn't feel too down on power, just low on fuel economy. I can hear a little turbo whizz, is that normal or should I be looking for boost leak?

happy to move this onto a different board if needs be.

any help appreciated

D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
You do have the SID set to mpg IMP not US haven't you?

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:23 pm 

Shalien wrote:
You do have the SID set to mpg IMP not US haven't you?

Good thinking! But I Checked this morning, definitely in UK gal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 pm 
Talking Turkey

To be honest, 28MPG is about as good as you will get in the real world from a Petrol SAAB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
9000Parts wrote:
To be honest, 28MPG is about as good as you will get in the real world from a Petrol SAAB.

Only time I better that is on a long motorway run and then the zillons of 50mph areas helps