UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 am 
Active user

I have just purchased a 2006 9-3 Vector (1.8LTR Turbo) and its running on the original 15"wheels

I picked up a set of 17" Saab rims and there seems to be mixed opinions on tyre size choices - I do a mixture of rural and motorway driving - mostly rural so low profile - run flat type tyres work be best for me

It seems 215/45/17s or maybe 215/50/17s are best option - so I am split between both

Will I have any issues on either size

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
You should have no issues...which wheels did you buy ...9-3 wheels are mostly offset 41 and 9-5 wheels offset 49 more or less interchangeable on standard running gear.
I am currently running 225/50/17's but have used 225/40/18 and 215/55/16 etc...10mm narrower tyre at 215mm wont change anything much.
Not a fan of run flats due to inflated(no pun intended) cost and the fact if you do have a puncture they arent repairable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
The standard tyre for the 17 inch wheel is 225/45 17 94W XL. Saab specify the extra load version in that size.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm 
Saab Nut

From the WIS

A lot of folk choose XL tyres but to get the benefits and equivalent loads to standard tyres they should be run at approx 10% higher pressures...Saab didnt specify a higher pressure so they effectively run at a lower load capacity versus the standard tyre.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:46 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:
You should have no issues...which wheels did you buy ...9-3 wheels are mostly offset 41 and 9-5 wheels offset 49 more or less interchangeable on standard running gear.
I am currently running 225/50/17's but have used 225/40/18 and 215/55/16 etc...10mm narrower tyre at 215mm wont change anything much.
Not a fan of run flats due to inflated(no pun intended) cost and the fact if you do have a puncture they arent repairable.

Thanks for your reply - I think the rims I got were from a 9-5 ... and it seems the 225/45/17 is the most popular and should be ok for more backroad rural driving

I will try and put up an image on the thread -

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:52 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:

I need to get the rims cleaned up - they will do me and no buckles

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:06 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
The 9-5 wheels sit about 8mm further in towards the centre of the car, so the track is narrowed and there is a risk of the tyres hitting the wheel arch liners on full lock.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:19 pm 
Saab Nut

I swap them around 9-3/9-5 all the time and never had an issue..I can only see it being significant if the suspension has been altered ie lowered etc.
It also makes it less likely to curb the wheels which is a good thing when the missus uses the car!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:
I swap them around 9-3/9-5 all the time and never had an issue..I can only see it being significant if the suspension has been altered ie lowered etc.
It also makes it less likely to curb the wheels which is a good thing when the missus uses the car!

Thanks for your reply and assistance - the car is stock and no mods at all, so hopefully the 17s will fit using 225/45/17 tyres without hitting bodywork or suspension parts.

I also need to get a a spare key for it - any idea what the best way to top about this, I've read some information on here and it seems there are a few ways to get a spare key sorted without costing an arm and a leg

Regards

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Maybe start another thread but the only safe option is to purchase a new oem key 12783781 and have it paired to the car with Tech2.
eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-200 ... 0507.m3226
Beware the cheap 433mhz chinese keys they cant be programmed with Tech2 but allegedly can be used to clone with the appropriate computer kit.
Old keys can be reprogrammed with Tech2 if the main rfid chip is replaced ..termed virginising...but the saving would be small compared to buying a new one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocking-Se ... 1990632356
For a hard key you can either get a key cut to your VIN or buy a blank (ebay) and have someone with a laser cutting machine copy it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:
Maybe start another thread but the only safe option is to purchase a new oem key 12783781 and have it paired to the car with Tech2.
eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-200 ... 0507.m3226
Beware the cheap 433mhz chinese keys they cant be programmed with Tech2 but allegedly can be used to clone with the appropriate computer kit.
Old keys can be reprogrammed with Tech2 if the main rfid chip is replaced ..termed virginising...but the saving would be small compared to buying a new one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocking-Se ... 1990632356
For a hard key you can either get a key cut to your VIN or buy a blank (ebay) and have someone with a laser cutting machine copy it.

Thank you for that information about the key - I will buy that genuine Saab key -not Chinese copy and I can get a colleague how uses Tech2 to program - my colleagues first question was -make sure its not a Chinese copy ..

P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2003 Saab 9-3 1.8t Vector
225/45r17 uniroyal rainsport 3
Cheap for quality tyres and stick to the road wet or dry. I know this because I drove 46k miles in 18 months rural and motorway.
If you know a friendly tyre fitter, Camskill had them at best price recently.