UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
I got a donor car and its a cracking car am amazed how clean it is.

Image2018-08-10_04-42-15

It's so good I would be daft not using as much of it as I can including the B234 and LHD.
It has an air flow meter, Cat, red DI (different connectors to the 2,0), manual throttle cable (does this mean no TCS?) and Garrett T25 turbo.

Here is a pic of the ECU clearly a Jetronic. Will that be 5.2?

Image2018-08-10_08-18-34

It also has the normal black APC box under the seat.

My 2.0 Carlsson ECU

Image2018-08-10_08-19-10

That has a red APC box under the seat not taken it out yet to get the part number.

Now can I get the ECU/Red APC from a 2.3 Carlsson and the rest is the same? It will be 2.3 spec Carlsson?

I take it the APC is also different between cars? and I can’t just use mine?

It has a misfire at the moment under boost possibly fuel pump you can hear it groaning, would like to get it running and the ECUs sorted before I pull the motor to check it, replace anything that needs doing and re gasket it.

Thanks again for the help getting real now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 am 
UKSaabs Trader

richfr wrote:

"5.2" refers to the first revision of Trionic (Ignition + Fuel + Boost control), introduced in 1993. Jetronic only controls fuelling. On your car the DI/APC ECU (the one under the seat) controls ignition and boost.

If you want to transfer the 2.3 engine to your car you will need the matching Jetronic and DI/APC ECUs from the donor car. However, if the donor car is in such good condition I would be loath to break it.

The most usual cause of a misfire under boost is a failing DI cassette, although a knackered spark plug can cause the DI to misbehave.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 am 
Active user

BillJ wrote:
richfr wrote:

"5.2" refers to the first revision of Trionic (Ignition + Fuel + Boost control), introduced in 1993. Jetronic only controls fuelling. On your car the DI/APC ECU (the one under the seat) controls ignition and boost.

If you want to transfer the 2.3 engine to your car you will need the matching Jetronic and DI/APC ECUs from the donor car. However, if the donor car is in such good condition I would be loath to break it.

The most usual cause of a misfire under boost is a failing DI cassette, although a knackered spark plug can cause the DI to misbehave.

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn’t make it clear what I am doing.
I am restoring my old flat front 2.0 Carlsson and have got this car as my shell is too far gone. However, this car is so good I think I will use as much of it as I can to turn it into a flat front Carlsson including the 2.3 engine.
So I only need a red 2.3 APC not the fuel ECU? Will injectors fuel reg etc be the same?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A220d AMG 7sp DCT
You will need the fuel ECU as well, as its setup for the 2.3 long stroke engine.
Injector pulses will be all wrong on the 2.0 ECU.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 am 
UKSaabs Trader

richfr wrote:
Sorry I didn’t make it clear what I am doing.

I think you did make it clear - I just hadn't read it correctly, sorry.
As Paul says, you need all the 2.3-litre engine management since the fuelling and ignition requirements will be very different between the two engines. If you keep the 2.3 engine in the 2.3 shell and only transfer over the flat-front Carlsson body parts then it's much simpler - all the 2.3 parts stay where they are.
On the other hand, since they both run Jetronic fuelling and DI/APC the wiring should be similar and you could swap in the Carlsson engine and gearbox with its ECUs, after painting the donor an authentic Carlsson colour, swap in the Carlsson interior and bodykit and end up with something that to all intents and purposes is a 2.0 flat-nosed Carlsson but with a different chassis number.

It depends what your aim is. The 2.0 Carlsson and 2.3 Carlsson are very different in character. The 2.0 is a hoot to drive. The 2.3 is much more refined but, while quicker, can be less exciting to drive. And for the 2.3 you would need to look for a 2.3 Carlsson DI/APC ECU to make it nearer to a "proper" 2.3 Carlsson.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am 
Active user

Thanks Bill and Paul for the info.
Didn't realize the 2.3 slope was different in character.
Hmmmm maybe need to think a bit more will have a look at the looms would like it to feel the same car or at least be as aggressive if i can do that with the 2.3 somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:51 pm 
Active user

Have been offered a pair of 2.3 slope front Carlsson ECUs from a forum member :D

Jetronic ECU is the same part number so hopefully the red APC is all I need to make it Carlsson spec.
I can also loose the cat that should give a few more BHP.
Might get them and see how it drives before pulling the motor to paint it.