UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
Footman James have politely told me to sling my hook and will not renew my policy this year.

Looking for a policy that will cover me for a month in Europe.

05 Smart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Try Britannia Rescue.

No age limit on vehicle, but the usual if recover will cost more than replaceing vehicle then they will not rover back to uk. Never had to test that part.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm 
UKS Addict

Ta
Britannia comes in at £134
I only paid £68 last year for the Footman James one!

05 Smart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm 
UKS Addict

Adrian Flux £79.

That will do.

05 Smart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 96 drop top
I use the AA for my 22 year old 900 but I have only taken it to Ireland this year but I am hoping to go to France or Spain this summer .
Or maybe all the way down to Crete and not come back :shock: :shock: :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Someone posted recently that the German ADAC will do this and have a better attitude to recovery. I've not followed this up yet.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm 
UKS Addict

ADAC would probably not do a home start in Blighty though.

05 Smart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I seem to recollect that ADAC had stopped taking membership for breakdown for people outside of Germany. About a year ago.

Just looked at the website and for a Single member (that'll be me) for all of Europe (I assume that's a geographical area and not just the EU) would be 87 Euros. Curiously the Rates Page is in English but nothing else is and as my German is Food, Beer and Bed orientated the downloadable PDF's have defeated me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Not sure how to shuffle the format to make it readable but Google Translate has given me this which suggests it could be an option.

11) Should cover most of our jollydays. 12) seems to cover most of the places we're likely to visit.
13,2) Suggests you don't need to have a German address to join.

=========================

11) A journey shall be deemed to have occurred if the protected person is more than 50 km (distance) from the place of residence. In the scope of Europe, protection exists if the journey did not last more than 92 days since leaving home at the time of the loss event. Outside the scope of Europe, protection shall exist if the journey did not endure more than 45 days from the date of departure at the time of the loss event.

12) Europe covers the geographical Europe including the territory of Germany, the non-European Mediterranean countries, the Canary Islands, the Azores and Madeira (

13) A claim in the sense of foreign travel liability services is the loss event that could result in liability claims against the protected person.

§ 2 Persons with a foreign domicile For persons with a foreign domicile, the benefits under §§ 22, 23, 32 -36, 39 f., Either in Germany or in the foreign country of residence. For all other services, the foreign country of residence continues to be considered as foreign within the meaning of the conditions. (3) Protected are the main member of the ADAC Plus membership as well as all other named persons of the protected group, insofar as they are ADAC members and have not expressly objected. The protected group may include the partner of the main member as well as his and his children. Children under 18 years of age will no longer be eligible for ADAC Plus Membership membership of

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I've been a member of ADAC for ten years or so. The RAC stopped offering me cover on my Aero when it got to fifteen years old IIRC.

Haven't needed them abroad so far, but have used them a few times in the UK, with the AA turning up on each occasion.
Cost me £101 for whole family cover to the ADAC Plus level (which includes a sort of travel cover worldwide on top of the Europe wide Car breakdown side of it)

I believe home start is all part of the cover.

EDIT: I should be clear that the RAC stopped European cover at 15 years and as pointed out below that was ten years back, so their policy may have changed.

Last edited by Techno on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
I've been looking at this today for my 2002 9-3, which is significantly modified.

The Rac terms and conditions mention neither age or modification limitations as far as I can see ("plus" level of cover). Has anyone got any recent experience of them that says otherwise?

I'm taking the vert to France for the day on 2nd August and I'd like some cover just in case.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

Last edited by TwyRob on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I had RAC with my bank account (with a sort of travel plus pack with travel insurance). Noticed a couple of years ago that the car cover was limited to 12 years old and my 2003 9-5 was then 13 years old. I chopped the travel pack down to basic travel cover and dropped the RAC, took up Autoaid, but I have not taken the car abroad for years. No idea if 'normal' RAC cover has the limitation though.

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-3 9000 Aero 96 V4 Yamaha FJR
AutoAid £48 for UK definitely the way to go,

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

then maybe Eurorescue for European cover, prices below.

https://eurorescue.co.uk/BreakdownServices.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9k Aero (Black) 900 T16S (Red)
Brexit could put the kybosh on buying any form of insurance from an EU insurer without a local broker/fronting type arrangement in place.

+ Volvo S60 (2.0T) & the wife's Vx Corsa (1.4 Auto)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Tim Duggan wrote:
Brexit could put the kybosh on buying any form of insurance from an EU insurer without a local broker/fronting type arrangement in place.

Not sure about that. The ADAC as I investigated it covers countries not in the EU for recovery and as. Best as I could work out, non-EU countries as your place is residence.

That's not to say Sony Shylock's out there won't try and profit from Brexit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:23 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

DeeDub8 wrote:
Tim Duggan wrote:

Not sure about that. The ADAC as I investigated it covers countries not in the EU for recovery and as. Best as I could work out, non-EU countries as your place is residence.

That's not to say Sony Shylock's out there won't try and profit from Brexit

It wont make any difference :Albania, Macedonia, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey and the others non EU country's can get EU cover even people from Norwich :D

At the end of the day it is easier to recover from Albania to Greece than some of the other star ship journeys that maybe require for a recovery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
It's going to become more and more of an issue for Saabs. The youngest is already 6 years old and most are a lot older than that.

There are two different issues. One where a car breaks down and needs a repair. The other where the car has been in an accident and is undriveable.

It would be unreasonable to expect an insurer to recover a car to the UK, just to have it scrapped here. But in the event of a breakdown, it's a different matter. If you have the car at home, you can repair it with secondhand parts (or not) at your leisure. The insurers may decide to value the car at their usual "less than market price" and the cost of repairs as using parts at Saab/Orio prices.

Perhaps something that the SOC could start a serious discussion about with the Club's preferred insurers.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

sgould wrote:
It's going to become more and more of an issue for Saabs. The youngest is already 6 years old and most are a lot older than that.

There are two different issues. One where a car breaks down and needs a repair. The other where the car has been in an accident and is undriveable.

It would be unreasonable to expect an insurer to recover a car to the UK, just to have it scrapped here. But in the event of a breakdown, it's a different matter. If you have the car at home, you can repair it with secondhand parts (or not) at your leisure. The insurers may decide to value the car at their usual "less than market price" and the cost of repairs as using parts at Saab/Orio prices.

Perhaps something that the SOC could start a serious discussion about with the Club's preferred insurers.

I agree with you and where the is a major problem let alone accident they wont recover back and your only viable option would be to dump it there .

Who would let a garage over there do a 2.5 K gearbox rebuild on a 500 pound 18 year old 9-5 or 9-3 !

Do any of the classic car insurance providers offer cover to bring home ?
Also shipping damaged or recovered cars back home wont make any difference custom wise when we leave the EU as there would be no duty payable when crossing boarders as there would be no transaction involved

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:59 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

mossypossy wrote:
Adrian Flux £79.

That will do.

Sorry I missed your post earlier
As I ask in my last post>Do you know if this is full recovery back

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Full recovery home is always based on the value of the vehicle. They never spend over that. Always a global limit on total outlay as well. Had this on my motorhome. Repatriation cost the Breakdown company £2600.....I had to pay the £100 excess over top limit.
But they will pay me £500 if I have to leave it in a garage and return to collect after the holiday.

05 Smart