UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 pm 

Car Model: SAAB 9-3 SE ECO TURBO
Hello everyone,

I just introduced myself on the 'Introductions' section but I have a major problem and need some advice. First of, I am not mechanically minded at all but have bought this car to learn, so go easy on me. Haynes manual and socket set are on the way!

Causation:
I recently purchased the car and noticed that the car had many misfires when driving my normal route to work (60 miles).

I searched online and came across folk changing out their spark plugs to fix this. So I purchased 4 NGK spark plugs and fitted them yesterday in a hope to rectify this issue. Whilst on my 20 minute test drive, I revved the car throughout the rpm range and monitored the misfire count, which was still increasing at at alarming rate . I Saw some white smoke coming from the engine bay and immediately went home, there was red/brown fluid spewed everywhere and a massive puddle forming under the car. I didn't adjust the gap the spark plug, so that is why it was still misfiring, i think. Now onto the main problem...

Problem:

I noticed that the coolant reservoir was very low and assumed that is what had been leaking. I couldn't determine where it was coming from so I went off to euro car parts and picked up 5 litres of coolant/antifreeze and started pouring until something leaked and saw this:

https://youtu.be/-ImbAWwDZ6Q

I cant seem to find this part online and wanted to know if you lovely people can point me in the right direction:

• Should I try to repair this leak or should I purchase a new hose and clamps
  • Is this job suitable for a beginner like me, the back connection of the hose looks deep into the engine bay and difficult to reach
  • Any ideas on why this happened, I was driving spiritedly in short bursts throughout the test drive
  • How am I supposed to clean this up, its sprayed all over the engine bay and components

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Red Ragnar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
That's one of the hoses that passes to the heater matrix. Partsforsaabs sell a D088 silicone replacement kit for both heater matrix hoses.

It's an easy enough job as the hoses are held in place by jubilee clips. A 7mm socket is preferable to flat head screwdriver to avoid slipping and wounding oneself. (can guess why I know this) You will need a bucket underneath to try to catch what leaks out when you remove the hoses. It's a little fiddly getting the hoses to pull off, I had to get a knife and cut my old ones at the firewall as they really didn't want to come off. I would advise that you check the condition of the other hoses carefully as the top radiator hose can rupture when it gets old.

They are the two skinny hoses that run from the engine to the firewall. The bigger hose going to the front of the car is the top radiator hose.

As to the misfire problem, the plug gaps are unlikely to be the culprit as by default NGK BCPR7ES plugs are set to 0.9mm and the BCPR7ES-II are pre set to 1.1mm both of which are fine. That is assuming that you have the correct NGK plugs. I'd be suspicious of the direct ignition unit. (Coil pack) Take it off and check the condition of each coil, you can take the black shroud off and check the inside for damage and the springs that link to the plugs are all present and accounted for. There should be no cracks in any of the core components. The black shroud sometimes has cracks but usually doesn't affect the operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:43 pm 

Kel,

Cheers for the quick reply.

Coolant Leak

I know what hose is leaking as was thinking of just replacing that one (As seen in the video). Does the 'Heater Core Hose Kit' come with the Jubilee clamps or do they have to be purchased separately:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/t-mex-stainless-steel-worm-drive-hose-clips-70-120mm-10-pack/28347
or
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-blue-zinc-plated-assorted-hose-clips-pack-60-pcs/95452

Misfire
I purchased 4 x NGK BCPR7ES-II, so you don't think the gap needs adjusted at all? I will have a look at the coil pack when I get home, don't think it will be too cheap to replace this and that's pretty annoying since i've only had it 5 days now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
The hoses do not come with jubliee clips. Unless your existing ones are damaged, it's fine to reuse them. The ones in my picture above are the originals.

BCPR7ES-II plugs should be gapped to 1.1mm already. It'd do no harm to check that they are around the 1mm mark. Yes, a new direct ignition unit is rather pricey (definitely don't cheap out and buy a pattern part by anyone other than SEM or SAAB), but having a good spare is a must as it can just die and leave you stranded. I've had a good used spare in my boot for 9 years. Thankfully not needed it yet, but at least I know it's there if I do end up needing it. They usually last around 100K miles or so. Type of journey and driving style will probably have some effect here. There is a sticker at the opposite end to the loom connector that will have the part number and also the date of manufacture. (week number and year i.e. 3406, i.e week 34 of 2006)

Out of interest, what is telling you the misfire count?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

I was shown the 'secret menu' by the previous owner, whereby having an unlocked SIS can show you live info on the Misfire count.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: SAABS
i know this sounds like a complete and utter bodge, but, to get you out of trouble it is possible to squeeze a socket into the hose and cable tie either side of the split, this will get you home in an emergency, providing you have some coolant in the boot ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

calam1ty wrote:
i know this sounds like a complete and utter bodge, but, to get you out of trouble it is possible to squeeze a socket into the hose and cable tie either side of the split, this will get you home in an emergency, providing you have some coolant in the boot ;)

also providing you have a socket and some cable ties

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I carry a short length of different sizes of copper pipe. Offcuts from the central heating install. 28mm, 22mm, 15mm, and some jubilee clips. Medium size clips. You can always undo one and join it to another to make a bigger clip.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

sgould wrote:
I carry a short length of different sizes of copper pipe. Offcuts from the central heating install. 28mm, 22mm, 15mm, and some jubilee clips. Medium size clips. You can always undo one and join it to another to make a bigger clip.

good call Will, beats sitting on the green flag van....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
IIRC that hose expands to fit the connection on the head. I had that go in a similar position on the 9k when I was on the M40. Seems to be the place to pinhole where it expands. RAC repaired it with self amalgamating hose tape and it lasted for over a month until I got around to replacing it. You could get it on line or in Halfords. You will need the pink/red OAT type coolant to top up. ECP is a good place to get it, the concentrated is better value than the premixed.
While the plugs come pre-gapped at 1.1mm most reduce that to 0.9-1mm to reduce the load on the DI pack.

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Contact JamSaab about a used DI. He (Martin) sent me one in great condition for a reasonable price. It will be a cheaper way to check if that's the misfire problem than forking out for a new one. Imagine spending circa £300 and it wasn't the problem...

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am 

calam1ty wrote:

I am looking for a more permanent solution, its my 2nd car so its fine for it be sitting on my driveway. New hose has been ordered.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 am 

TWSaab wrote:
IIRC that hose expands to fit the connection on the head. I had that go in a similar position on the 9k when I was on the M40. Seems to be the place to pinhole where it expands. RAC repaired it with self amalgamating hose tape and it lasted for over a month until I got around to replacing it. You could get it on line or in Halfords. You will need the pink/red OAT type coolant to top up. ECP is a good place to get it, the concentrated is better value than the premixed.
While the plugs come pre-gapped at 1.1mm most reduce that to 0.9-1mm to reduce the load on the DI pack.

I have ordered a new hose which should come next week. To find the leek, I purchased 'Triple QX Antifreeze/Coolant' and just just now realised that I was pouring concentrate into the reservoir without diluting it, like an idiot. Hopefully I can just drain it out somehow an start over.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 am 

TWSaab wrote:

I have ordered a new hose which should come next week. To find the leak, I purchased 'Triple QX Antifreeze/Coolant' and just just now realised that I was pouring concentrate into the reservoir without diluting it, like an idiot. Hopefully I can just drain it out somehow an start over.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 am 

TwyRob wrote:
Contact JamSaab about a used DI. He (Martin) sent me one in great condition for a reasonable price. It will be a cheaper way to check if that's the misfire problem than forking out for a new one. Imagine spending circa £300 and it wasn't the problem...

TwyRob,

That is my issue, I have changed the spark plugs already and don't know what else it could be. How cheap is cheap?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 am 

TwyRob wrote:

TwyRob,

That is my issue, I have changed the spark plugs already and don't know what else it could be. How cheap is cheap?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Red Ragnar wrote:
calam1ty wrote:

I am looking for a more permanent solution, its my 2nd car so its fine for it be sitting on my driveway. New hose has been ordered.

dont blame you, but its a way of getting home if needed :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Red Ragnar wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

TwyRob,

I wouldn't like to say as pricing may not be the same for every unit.

I think I paid about £80 for a black one.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Red Ragnar wrote:
TWSaab wrote:

I have ordered a new hose which should come next week. To find the leak, I purchased 'Triple QX Antifreeze/Coolant' and just just now realised that I was pouring concentrate into the reservoir without diluting it, like an idiot. Hopefully I can just drain it out somehow an start over.
Search for a coolant tester. The Gunson bulb type ones are cheap on Amazon and you will be able to sort it out with that.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 pm 

TwyRob wrote:
Red Ragnar wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

TwyRob,

I wouldn't like to say as pricing may not be the same for every unit.

I think I paid about £80 for a black one.

Cheers for the tip, I will keep this in mind when I am investigating this issue further.