UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2007 9-3 1.9 TiD
Hi all,

Picked my first SAAB up a few days ago and I'm impressed with it so far! Coming from mainly French cars in the past I'm used to solving electrical niggles and reliability problems myself so can't wait to get stuck in.

Only one poor image for now, will get to polishing when it's not quite so hot out and get on with the real work!

Cars done 170,000 miles, does show slightly by the condition of it. There's marks everywhere in the paint and it has dulled a lot on the rear quarter panels. Hopefully a good machine polish will sort it.

So bits I need to currently sort:
Drivers seat has very worn leather
All seats stained
Drivers seatbelt buckle needs tightening
Aircon is always hot
Driver window moves slowly
Front wheel bearings need replacement
Missing the front tow eye cover
Sand,prime and match up rust on arches
Refurb alloys

Mods planned:
Heko deflectors
Possibly eibach springs (usually do on every car I have)
Panel filter replacement
Aero rear spoiler
Stage 1 map
Possibly get dpf removed and mapped out

For £350 with a half tank of diesel, brand new tyres,brakes, belt & pump change 10,000 miles ago & 6 months MOT I was very impressed!

I'm sure there is plenty more I have missed out. Does anyone have any advise on good mods for this engine? Obviously I'm not going to get loads from it but would like a bit more of a roar. Will follow with more pictures and progress, I'm quite a perfectionist for cars and love getting them back in a loving condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
A lot of car for that money, even with those miles on the clock.
You will get the bug I’m sure.....I’m on my eleventh Saab, and that’s nothing compared to some on here.

Read carefully about the DPF and remapping before you do it. Lots of discussions regarding the new stricter MOT rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 pm 
Active user

wynne71 wrote:
A lot of car for that money, even with those miles on the clock.
You will get the bug I’m sure.....I’m on my eleventh Saab, and that’s nothing compared to some on here.

Read carefully about the DPF and remapping before you do it. Lots of discussions regarding the new stricter MOT rules.

Sure I will, it's nice having a comfortable car for once. There are also so many buttons I'm yet to figure half of them out!

Yeah mot rules are a grey area due to the recent changes but most places seem to be saying dpf is a visual inspection and removal won't affect the emissions test. Find it hard to fathom myself, will be waiting until next year for the map anyway so hopefully by then there will be more of an understanding.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:27 pm 
Active user

Haven't been up to much interesting with the car so far, replaced the pollen filter yesterday and went to take the wheels off but the locking nut is stopping me so far! Did have a replacement gear surround arrive yesterday though, so out with the old and in with the new :)

Sadly the gear gaitor doesn't clip in to this one properly so I either need a new gaitor frame or another surround.

Other than that I have given the car a quick polish to remove suntan hand prints and that's it for now. Will hopefully make some more progress this week :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: NG 9-5 Aero TTid 2011
Kerry wrote:
Haven't been up to much interesting with the car so far, replaced the pollen filter yesterday and went to take the wheels off but the locking nut is stopping me so far! Did have a replacement gear surround arrive yesterday though, so out with the old and in with the new :)

Sadly the gear gaitor doesn't clip in to this one properly so I either need a new gaitor frame or another surround.

Other than that I have given the car a quick polish to remove suntan hand prints and that's it for now. Will hopefully make some more progress this week :)

Just a thought about your gear lever gaitor. would it not be possible to use some impact adhesive Bostic or whatever? maybe a wee trim of the material first then use the glue?

Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm 
Active user

Ah that's a good plan, might work if I remove the plastic housing and just adhere it straight to the gaitor. Will check to see how much it moved from 1st to 6th to judge how to glue it. Might save me £30 odd too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: NG 9-5 Aero TTid 2011
Good for you.....nothing ventured and all that eh? good luck. :idea:

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm 
Active user

Ended up using some carpet tape, secured the gaitor back in place nicely.

Changed the air filter today for an oiled pipercross panel filter. Car struggled to start immediately and a bit pf smoke came from by the filter somewhere but I assume this was down to the maf having to adjust itself to the new setup. Turned over in the end and is now running perfectly fine.

Old one must have been in there a good few years, was black all over with a date stamp of 2014!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm 
Active user

Wind deflectors arrived today, got them fitted :D

Waiting on a new drivers door window switch, passenger doesn't work off it currently and drivers is very slow. Hopefully when it arrives some silicone spray will help loosen it all up and have it going again to save buying new regulators or a motor.

Car still needs a damn good clean too. Have some fresh number plates on the way to remove the trade centre Wales branding they currently have.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am 
Active user

New switch fitted and passenger window works off the drivers side finally and the drivers window has a bit more free movement since spraying the runners. Hopefully with a few more runs up and down it will free nicely. Also one touch is now working which is a plus :)

Can't believe how easy a fix it was and simple to remove the doorcard. I usually end up wrestling them to clip back on but it's so smooth to go back!

Awaiting a new passengers wing to replace the current one riddled with rust where it meets the skirt, will then get to cleaning and post some proper pictures.

In all the £350 car has now cost £460 total with all issues solved and a fresh service. Glad I kept my old car to sort this myself in spare time :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm 
Active user

New wing arrived this morning, got around to fitting earlier, so off with the old below:

New one now in place, trying to line it all up is a complete nightmare. I can't for the life of me get it back in properly. There's a large gap between the light cluster and the bumper, think I need to take it all off again and re align it. Top and area where it meets the door all seem good it just goes odd at the light and bumper!