UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9000 900 99
I have an electrical issue with my car's ACC.

The cooling fan doesn't cut in when the A/C is switched on, as it should do.
As a result the A/C has had to be disconnected (by unplugging the compressor) to prevent excessive pressure build-up in the A/C system.

I've handed the car over to an auto-electrician who believes the fault lies with the resistor that sits within the wiring to the radiator fan. These are no longer available from Saab Parts (because Saabits have checked).

Now, does anybody know what the specifications of that resistor are, please?
I need to source another one pronto.

The resistor is specific to an automatic car with ACC as these are the ones that have the two-speed fan arrangement for the radiator fan.

TIA S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
Have they definitely checked the wiring that runs down the inner wing and along the front panel? My 9000 spat out all of its' refrigerant because the feed wire to the fan was broken.

I can't help with the resistor, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
munchcorp wrote:
Have they definitely checked the wiring that runs down the inner wing and along the front panel? My 9000 spat out all of its' refrigerant because the feed wire to the fan was broken.

I can't help with the resistor, sorry.

What he said, know of several cases where the wire for the fan has perished.

Pretty certain all USA 9k's had the two speed fan setup, so may be easier to find a part that side?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:32 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Shouldn't be too hard to find a two-speed fan on this side of the pond. As far as I can tell, all 9000 autos (at least from 1994 onwards) had the two-speed fan.
The resistor was never supplied separately, only as part of the fan assembly. If there are any markings on it they may help to identify a replacement. High-power resistors are commonly available from electronics component suppliers.

I'm assuming the auto-electrician is correct and that voltage can be traced all the way to the resistor but not beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thanks chaps.

I've sourced a working two-speed fan with resistor from TwoStroke which arrived yesterday afternoon.
I know its working because they assured me that they had tested it and had it running on both speeds before packing it up for me.

I fitted it last night and..... no better.

If I run the car at idle for long enough the fan cuts in to cool the radiator, but so did my original one; the fan won't run with the AC compressor running, as it should.

I've had a quick look at the wiring down from the relay box by the battery to the fan and it looks fine to the naked eye.
However, a wiring fault, as you siggest, sems most likely now.

I'll 'phone the auto-electricians and get them to look at it again.

Many thanks again for the supporting advice.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9000
The A/C relay is the one that should switch on the fan whenever the a/c clutch is engaged and it is prone to fail on a 9000. It's in the fusebox in front of the battery, second from the bottom next to the fuses, usually it has a unpainted metal housing. Open it up and check the condition of the contacts inside.

Note that this is a special relay, do not replace it with a standard spdt relay because the a/c will not function, even worse the a/c clutch will stay engaged with ignition off draining your battery. Saab partn is nr. 8536401

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:32 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

90000006 wrote:
The A/C relay is the one that should switch on the fan whenever the a/c clutch is engaged and it is prone to fail on a 9000. It's in the fusebox in front of the battery, second from the bottom next to the fuses, usually it has a unpainted metal housing. Open it up and check the condition of the contacts inside.

Note that this is a special relay, do not replace it with a standard spdt relay because the a/c will not function, even worse the a/c clutch will stay engaged with ignition off draining your battery. Saab partn is nr. 8536401

Thanks for that.
It could be the final piece of the jigsaw I'm looking for.

Are you sure about the part number?
Partsforsaabs list it as a fuel pump relay for an early 9000:

https://www.partsforsaabs.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=8536401&search_in_description=1&osCsid=ca5eb7a3d61cc57da3d34ddf880bb089&x=9&y=6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:45 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000
You are right, the part number is not correct. Got it from the EPC which seems to be wrong here.

What you need is a relay with this contact configuration:
Bosch nr is 0332015006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1991 900i Auto/2004 9-5 Aero
I am watching this thread with interest as my recently purchased 9000 has the same problem,it appears that Saab 8536401 was the same as Bosch 0332015013 but now replaced by Bosch 0332015006!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Brynel wrote:
I am watching this thread with interest as my recently purchased 9000 has the same problem,it appears that Saab 8536401 was the same as Bosch 0332015013 but now replaced by Bosch 0332015006!

Well, I spoke to BillJ at Saabits this morning and he's sending me their equivalent relay.
Let's hope it works because I'm off to the south of France in it this coming weekend and I really need that AC working.
I'll let you know.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:19 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Does the pressure switch (fitted to the dryer) play a part in when the fan cuts in, or does that just determine when the compressor runs?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

sounds wrote:
Does the pressure switch (fitted to the dryer) play a part in when the fan cuts in, or does that just determine when the compressor runs?

Don't know...

Feeling glum: I've just changed the relay for the replacement that BillJ sent me - no fan when the compressor cuts in.

Now, should the fan cut in immediately or only when the pressure in the system gets too high?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I thought the fan only cut in on the pressure switch.

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm 
UKS Addict

the (1997MY, American) 9000 wiring diagram I have shows that there is a "A/C high pressure monitor (2-speed fan)". Pin 1 of that connects to the coil of the high speed fan relay via a blue/white wire (joining the blue/white wire from the EDU), pin 2 (black wire) goes to G101, an earthing point on the right front structural member. But it says this pressure switch is located "under right side of radiator".

It also shows that the "Radiator Fan" is activated by the "A/C and ACC radiator fan relay" activates both the A/C compressor and the fan (via a green wire), which would imply that a single speed fan would run continuously whenever the A/C compressor is engaged ...

The diagram also lists (seperately) a "Radiator fan pressure switch", with its' location given as "on accumulator/dryer" which must be the one I was thinking of. So perhaps that's not the same as the "A/C cooling pressure switch" ... ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

sounds wrote:
the (1997MY, American) 9000 wiring diagram I have shows that there is a "A/C high pressure monitor (2-speed fan)". Pin 1 of that connects to the coil of the high speed fan relay via a blue/white wire (joining the blue/white wire from the EDU), pin 2 (black wire) goes to G101, an earthing point on the right front structural member. But it says this pressure switch is located "under right side of radiator".

It also shows that the "Radiator Fan" is activated by the "A/C and ACC radiator fan relay" activates both the A/C compressor and the fan (via a green wire), which would imply that a single speed fan would run continuously whenever the A/C compressor is engaged ...

The diagram also lists (seperately) a "Radiator fan pressure switch", with its' location given as "on accumulator/dryer" which must be the one I was thinking of. So perhaps that's not the same as the "A/C cooling pressure switch" ... ?

Thankyou for taking the time to look at this.

Does this mean that a single-speed fan set-up would run continuously but a two-speed fan set-up would be intermittent, only switching on when the refridgerant pressure rose too high?

Also, my EDU (the below speedo digital readout that includes external temp, voltage, distance to empty, etc.) displays intermittently; will this have an effect on the ACC, seeing as they seem to be connected?

TIA S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 pm 
UKS Addict

cross-referencing EPC, it does show:

Article : Pressure monitor
PartNo : 4383188
Usage : AU, IL, LA, ME, PA, US, TR
Order Quantity : 1

i.e., not applicable to cars sold here!

As you've suggested - it does look like a single fan setup would run continuously whilst the compressor is engaged - and a twin-speed one is controlled by the pressure switch fitted to the dryer.

It's quite possible that it's just failed backlight bulbs on your EDU, if it was faulty you'd quite possibly have other symptoms - like the temperature and/or fuel gauges not working - because they're driven by the EDU too (I've had that on a previous 9000 too ...)

The other thing I'd be trying is plug in a tech2, confirm that it can communicate with your EDU - and if so, manually activate the high and low speed fan options - which will confirm that at least the fan itself is working on both settings. If so, it would appear to leave the A/C pressure switch - and/or the wiring - to be suspect. Pressure switch is P/N 4383170 - seems you can get Denso (compatible) ones for under £40, genuine are over 3 times the price ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

The car has been back to the auto-electrician today and they've just phoned to say its fixed ! :D

They re-checked the refridgerant gas pressure and found it was too low, probably due to blowing it off from the pressure relief valve when the cooling fan didn't cut in to lower the temperature and therefore the pressure.
So, they regassed it to get the refridgerant up to the right pressure and the fan now kicks in to control the pressure. I don't know if its constant or controlled by a switch; I'll find out later on when I collect the car. They believe the resistor on the old fan was the problem.
Its apparently blowing cold, but not as cold as they would like but they feel this may improve with being driven and used.

Happy days !

Many thanks to those who offered help and advice, especially BillJ , 90000006 and sounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm 
UKS Addict

no problem - yes, from what I could gather via the wiring diagram, on two speed fans the pressure switch activates the low speed fan - so if the resistor was shot, that would have stopped the fan running. We like easy fixes ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1991 900i Auto/2004 9-5 Aero
Mine had the same problem and is now fixed. Refridgerant renewed as the system was completely empty and we hoped that was the cause of the problem but it wasn't,it turned out to be a duff relay,one of the tall green ones,luckily I had one 'in stock' and all is well again. Nice and cool!