UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Gaz38 wrote:
Or if you have an old iPhone that Apple deliberately reduce the battery capacity on remotely to make you buy a new one :o

Actually, that isn't what they do, as I am sure you well know.

They throttle the power to ensure that essential functions work then you can buy a new battery for £25 (iPhone 6 or later). iOS 11.3 has a battery life function that tells you if the battery is failing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
First World Problems

Don't you just love 'em?

05 Smart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
I had to buy a pair of laces for my work shoes when only one was broken...…..I'm fuming!

No they can't "Force" you unless it constitutes part of a legally binding contract, in fact it's probably covered under another umbrella but you need to consider the consequences of letting them go flat deliberately, it's not an unreasonable request and like everyone has said, it's no big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
GeoffR wrote:
Gaz38 wrote:
Or if you have an old iPhone that Apple deliberately reduce the battery capacity on remotely to make you buy a new one :o

Actually, that isn't what they do, as I am sure you well know.

They throttle the power to ensure that essential functions work then you can buy a new battery for £25 (iPhone 6 or later). iOS 11.3 has a battery life function that tells you if the battery is failing.

Thank you for telling me what I know, that's quite a gift you have, do I know Saturday's lottery numbers too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
To me its the principle that you have ben TOLD you WILL charge
our phone/laptop at your house, with out any discussion.
if you have a good employer with a bit of give and take, all's good.
But some employers just assume you will do what ever they say.
Hope all goes well in the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

databar wrote:

My thoughts exactly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
I keep work and play very separate. I'm paid from 7:45 til 16:30 and I've plenty clutter at home without more chargers hanging out of the wall and more rubbish to trip on.
I wouldn't do it.
It's not a requirement of the job to have electric in your house is it?
However if you'd like a promotion or an easy life relies on you being friends with the boss then it might be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 Vert, 252bhp
databar wrote:

This hit the nail on the head. I’ve been in the job for 8 years and it’s more the expect you to do everything they ask without question. Being forced to work overtime for example. I’m contracted to work every second Saturday which is fine, it’s only 8-12 I don’t mind but since last year I’ve had to work every Saturday and when I need a Saturday off there’s a big song and dance about it. I’ve just had to make an excuse to get this Saturday coming off. Another fine example being 2 weeks ago I was asked at 16:45 to work on past 5pm and said I couldn’t to which my manager replied “if you don’t work on don’t bother coming out tomorrow”.

It’s probably the wrong attitude to have but right now I feel like what’s the point in taking their work equipment home to use my electricity, it’s petty I know but the company is just take take take.

Also I am in the middle of training for a career change so hopefully be out of the place this time next year!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
boydy2013 wrote:
databar wrote:

This hit the nail on the head. I’ve been in the job for 8 years and it’s more the expect you to do everything they ask without question. Being forced to work overtime for example. I’m contracted to work every second Saturday which is fine, it’s only 8-12 I don’t mind but since last year I’ve had to work every Saturday and when I need a Saturday off there’s a big song and dance about it. I’ve just had to make an excuse to get this Saturday coming off. Another fine example being 2 weeks ago I was asked at 16:45 to work on past 5pm and said I couldn’t to which my manager replied “if you don’t work on don’t bother coming out tomorrow”.

It’s probably the wrong attitude to have but right now I feel like what’s the point in taking their work equipment home to use my electricity, it’s petty I know but the company is just take take take.

Also I am in the middle of training for a career change so hopefully be out of the place this time next year!

You've been in the job for 8 years? Your manager says “if you don’t work on don’t bother coming out tomorrow”. I think you will find that he can't actually sack you for refusing an unreasonable request in fact I think the only grounds for summary dismissal would be "Gross misconduct" and I don't think refusing overtime counts. Are you a member of a Trade Union? If so I would consult your rep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:56 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
boydy2013 wrote:

I would suggest your manager has the wrong attitude. How does he keep people working for him if he is like that?

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

TWSaab wrote:
boydy2013 wrote:

I would suggest your manager has the wrong attitude. How does he keep people working for him if he is like that?

It's an increasingly common attitude I'm afraid, nurtured by the "if you don't like it find another job" and "there are plenty of people out there who'd be glad of your job" train of thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Gaz38 wrote:
TWSaab wrote:
boydy2013 wrote:

It's an increasingly common attitude I'm afraid, nurtured by the "if you don't like it find another job" and "there are plenty of people out there who'd be glad of your job" train of thought.

Plenty of companies are suddenly finding though thats exactly what their employees are doing and bad companies are finding it increasingly difficult to retain existing staff and attract new starters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
If that was my employer I would be , job hunting big time,
they have no right to ORDER you to work.
I hope you can find a better job, locally with the same pay rates.
A good employer looks after there employees and helps them out,
For 22 years my old employer was excellent and what ever we wanted to do was
fine by him (as long as the money came in, which it did.)
He retired last year and the new owners are push, push,push,
still goodist but I have started to look for new jobs.
but i can earn more money but have to travel more.
sorry for the rant.
pete