UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.
(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm 

Car Model: 900
My wife has bought this:

I may have married the right woman!

I'm lucky enough to have a partner who is enthusiastic about cars and a keen driver, and has always been supportive of my hobby, even when it leaves us stranded or under a bit of a financial tourniquet.

She has always been interested in the Saab design, mainly the 99 and she has been looking for a non-turbo early car for a while.

After seeing a few early 900s from dealers, and basic 99s, the search was put on hold after we were engaged (at Goodwood Revival, naturally) and life took over a bit.

However, an old advert being reposted of a white flat-front turbo piqued our interest, especially as it stated he had a 90 (!) and a few other 900s. Best to test as many variants as possible, even if the price was strong! It had been picked up in this forum's 'Saabs spotted for sale' section and didn't get any dire warnings. After much research, including a few calls with the garage that had maintained it for 12 years (SS Motors Soton), we headed down the M3 to the coast and met the owner, a long term Saab enthusiast with many cars and a background in engineering. We followed his immaculate 90, which he has had for over 20 years, out to his storage area. When was the last time you saw a 90 on the road? Fantastic!

Image2018-06-09_11-25-37

Initial impressions were not good. I was not enthusiastic - it had been 'stored' outside on grass with some other projects, cosmetically it was poor - wheel arches showing signs of corrosion, surface rust on and under the bonnet, ingrained dirt and ancient, cracked tyres.

Image20180603_130131

Image20180603_130134

Image20180603_130023

Image20180603_130021

However, it was structurally very sound, and the history of work carried out over the past 12 years of ownership was extensive - clearly it was mechanically kept in fine fettle. The owner was passionate and meticulous, and had completed a lot of repairs and sensible upgrades, including relocation of the battery to the boot. After an extensive checklist I had prepared was grudgingly ticked off, sort of, my wife took it for a test drive. Of course, the fuel light was on, so we managed to check the needle, fuel cap and pump all in one go. The car pulled very well in all gears; clutch and various Saab weaknesses again ticked off. It's posture, braking and steering were all excellent, and everything worked.

It was clear the owner wasn't to be moved on price (he was reluctant to sell at all, really, and some family pressure was being exerted), so we took a few hours to speak to some helpful members of the Saab forums and check sold prices. True, it was highly priced for a car with some issues, but the work carried out meant it could be used as intended - a daily driver - while we worked on everything else.

My wife bought it - she liked the owner, the story and loved the car. She was also fully converted to the Turbo and 5 gears, thank the blessed Swedish gods, which I was keen on as it means we can go further afield without tinnitus. We received a car full of spares and the £10 back for the fuel we put in, and the owner waved us off:

Image20180603_180031

I then struggled to keep up for the 60 mile drive home in our faithful Rover 75.

Image20180603_180415

Image20180603_180403

Now, after a week of not being able to see or drive it, I spent last weekend thoroughly cleaning it, documenting everything that's off, missing or needs attention.

As it's being used daily the goal is to keep nibbling away on the cosmetics, the mechanical gubbins all seem in good order.

The history for servicing looks fantastic, with all major items ticked off including the engine being out for clutch and various upgrades, plus the head being rebuilt in the past three years.

Aside from ongoing list making, the immediate issues are the old tyres and an occasionally-off idle. Next weekend will be a thorough check of ignition, vacuum and sensors.

Pics of the deep clean and preventative rust-stoppage to follow.

This is going to be quite a project, so if anyone know of flat front parts, or one being broken in white please let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert 1993
Very nice 8)

Have fun :wink:

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Very nice and a good first write up, looking forward to progress reports :D

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Any updates :D

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.