UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 am 
Active user

Car Model: 900se
Called it the pollution charge but it's a tax on driving around London to be extended to the north/south circular roads.I have read that residents will not be extempt the reason I guess is more money.Plus the possibility of forcing more cars off the road.
Motor bikes will also be included though they make up less than 1% of the total daily traffic(fact iv'e read so not sure if it's true)
I know vehicles pollute and peoples health is import.Is this the start of cars being a luxury only for the very well off not the masses?Only time will tell.
Now where's the big electric motor i put away and those batteries im going to electricise my SAAB98 93 :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
Just living outside the circular roads I wonder if it's anything to do with the volume of traffic on the roads... I travel out in the mornings and back in at evening rush hour and noticed my travelling time has increased 50% or more.

Given that busses will be stuck in the same traffic and trains into Victoria/Waterloo are like sardine tins (when they are running), and the reality is driving a turbocharged luxobarge is cheaper than going by rail just means the situation won't change unless people are forced off the roads. The Reading train is already overcrowded in the mornings...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Saloon MY98 2.0LPT
Coming to a road near you soon?
It will cost me £5k per year at the start and given their addiction to fleecing us, probably £10k soon after. So something has to give, either
car
home and job etc
or Mayor Can't.
Next London mayoral election is 2020 so we will see.
Our local authority has doubled the price of parking permits for older vehicles. They were introduced by some fine gerrymandering of a "consultation" at £50 and are now near £200.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:27 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
Still waiting for a hefty fine in the post from driving a big old diesel motorhome through the LEZ when the M25 was affected by the huge storm a couple of weeks ago.
I thought the LEZ was the same as the inner London congestion zone.
Not alone in being ignorant of London specific rules. Contrary to TFL the rest of the country have no clue as to these measures.

05 Smart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
bernardc wrote:
Next London mayoral election is 2020 so we will see.
Our local authority has doubled the price of parking permits for older vehicles. They were introduced by some fine gerrymandering of a "consultation" at £50 and are now near £200.

We've got the barmy party back in charge in Richmond - as my old 9-5 was a second car and highest CO2 tax band, when the Lib Dems were in charge until 2011-2012 my parking permit was £330!!! Tories came in and scapped the bandings, set fee of £60 for first car and £90 for second car....come last election Lib Dems back in again :wall: :wall: dread to think what next year's permit cost will be

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 9-3 1.8t Vector Sport
I agree with the principle that thousands of single occupant cars commuting into city centres to be parked up all day doesn't make a lot of sense but rather than pricing us off the roads you have to give us workable alternatives. Not only is it unfair but it really penalises people who have no option because rubbish public transport doesn't tie in with taking kids to school etc.

I would much rather commute by train than car into Manchester. In theory it's a lot quicker, it's more convenient as the stations are handy, and it's cheaper because I have to pay £5 to park a mile away from the office. Plus I can read my book instead of shouting at dithering MPV drivers.

The reality is that my station is serviced by Northern Rail only and you may have seen them mentioned of late in the news. This means infrequent services, last minute cancellations, short formed trains, overcrowding, delays, confusion and a general state of chaos. Though they have been in the news recently, they have always been poo. Last night they announced a platform change 1m 45s before the train was due to depart. It set off bang on time and no doubt left some stragglers behind.

In theory, my train journey is 8 minutes to the station, 15 minutes on the train, 5 minutes to the office. The reality is that they will announce a delay as I walk to the station, the train will then miss its platform stops so what starts off as being just under 30 minutes ends up being nearer to 40 minutes. If I leave home before 7am the car takes the same amount of time and I don't have to worry about how I'll get home so that's what I often do. Judging by the trains getting quieter and the roads getting busier I don't think I'm alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9 3 Aero Combi 2.0T 2009
Our 1992 Alfa goes into town after 18.30 and at weekends when we want to.
No charge for this.
NOW we will pay a charge for having the cheek to live inside the North/South Circular roads of £12.50 A DAY, even if the car does not move.
I understand that there will be a 90% discount for residents though, so 5 days x £12.50 x 52 weeks x 90% = £325 annual cost.

Our 9 3 Aero estate goes into town maybe once a week, costing £11 a time.
It is exempt from the pollution element of the charge.
BUT we will now get a 90% discount from the C Charge, so we will pay 5 days x £11 X 90% a week i.e. £5.50 a week whether it goes into town or not.
Annual cost = £286.00
One trip a week currently = £598.00
My wife may well drive into town more frequently as it will cost nothing more at all.
And as she has free parking at work ........................................ that's not too bad!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Arent zero emissions cars exempt from the charge though? You can lease an EV for £200 a month which is a lot cheaper than paying to enter and leave London every day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Saloon MY98 2.0LPT
saabHOT wrote:
I understand that there will be a 90% discount for residents though, so 5 days x £12.50 x 52 weeks x 90% = £325 annual cost.
BUT we will now get a 90% discount from the C Charge,

I don't read it that way at all. I think a lot of the confusion is from them using the acronym ULEZ for both the scheme starting 2019 that covers the same central area as the Congestion Charge and the expanded scheme from 2021 that covers the whole of inner London, lets coin another acronym and call it the EULEZ. There are no discounts for residents, that only applied to the congestion charge zone and they are not getting any discount for ULEZ just a period of grace to allow them to change their cars. No mention of even that for EULEZ. Dick Turpin must be smiling down on Mayor Can't :evil:

EDIT
Having read that back its a bit simplified and missing an acronym or two :(
ULEZ and EULEZ are for the future, 2019 and 2021 respectively, but we already have the T-Charge (Oct 2017) on top of the Congestion Charge (2003). Probably best to name T-Charge LEZ as it will be superceded by ULEZ and covers the same area. So tomorrow morning if I was to venture the 2 miles (in my pre Euro4 petrol engined car) from my home in inner London to central London it would cost me £11.50 Congestion Charge and an additional £10 LEZ. From next year it will be £24 total. And from 2021 its £12.50 every single day even if I stay at home banging my head against the wall.
Also ULEZ and EULEZ operate 24 hours every day including bank holidays, there is no escape.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 900se
Dose the mayor of London use his official car much or does he go by tube,bus or train or push bike now that would be good.How about horses would the charge apply hehe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
Election for London mayor in 2020, be interesting to see if suburban voters inside the M25 wake up or not over this latest tax burden.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:53 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1998 9-5 SE 2.0T (?)
keithyboy wrote:
In theory, my train journey is 8 minutes to the station, 15 minutes on the train, 5 minutes to the office. The reality is that they will announce a delay as I walk to the station, the train will then miss its platform stops so what starts off as being just under 30 minutes ends up being nearer to 40 minutes. If I leave home before 7am the car takes the same amount of time and I don't have to worry about how I'll get home so that's what I often do. Judging by the trains getting quieter and the roads getting busier I don't think I'm alone.

My commute times into Manchester are much longer. But it's only quicker by car if I leave before 6am and return after 8pm. I prefer leaving quite a bit later. Just over £100 for a monthly pass vs. £6.50 a day just to park? Let the roads get even busier, I'm sticking with the train.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
saman wrote:
keithyboy wrote:

My commute times into Manchester are much longer. But it's only quicker by car if I leave before 6am and return after 8pm. I prefer leaving quite a bit later. Just over £100 for a monthly pass vs. £6.50 a day just to park? Let the roads get even busier, I'm sticking with the train.

Yet if I wanted to use public transport to get to work for 07:00 it takes 2 buses, 1 train, 1 tram, another bus and a long walk. I also need to leave home about 20:00 the night before and spend a few hours sleeping at Nottingham train station. Nottingham is planning its own congestion/pollution charge soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: MY02 9-5 Aero auto
mossypossy wrote:
Still waiting for a hefty fine in the post from driving a big old diesel motorhome through the LEZ when the M25 was affected by the huge storm a couple of weeks ago.
Not alone in being ignorant of London specific rules. Contrary to TFL the rest of the country have no clue as to these measures.

The LEZ is roughly within the M25 area it's the new ULEZ (Ultra Low) that is within the congestion charge area, this comes into affect in April 2019.

You can check your motorhome's LEZ compliance here...

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-em ... s-affected

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
Hippy wrote:
mossypossy wrote:

The LEZ is roughly within the M25 area it's the new ULEZ (Ultra Low) that is within the congestion charge area, this comes into affect in April 2019.

You can check your motorhome's LEZ compliance here...

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-em ... s-affected

£100 a day if I want to drive within the M25!
Year 2000 diesel, 5 tonnes

Still waiting...............

05 Smart