THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Car Feels Underpowered
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2006 9-3 Aero Convertible
Hello,

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero Cabriolet. I have had the car a couple of months now and while I have had my problems I am enjoying the car, but the car doesn't seem to have as much power I was thinking it would. Just wondering if there is anything I can clean/check? My old car was a 150bhp Golf GT which seemed more spritely than my current model. While I can hear and feel the turbo engaging and its definitely boosting, for 210bhp I thought I would be getting a bit more.

I have a code reader and no codes are stored, since I have had the car, have changed the air filter, spark plugs, oil filter and oil.

The car has a ticking sound on start up for like 20 seconds or so.

So are there any obvious things to look at?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
There may be nothing wrong. Saab turbos are quite smooth and gain speed steadily. They don’t give a kick in the back, so you may be going faster than you think.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:47 am 
Active user

It just seems not to pull as well as when I first got it, or maybe Im getting used to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
the problem is quite common on the 2.0T Aero.
It affects most cars, and even some of the B204 and B205 engined vehicles. The B234 and B235 engines are definitely affected.

It usually happens after you've had the car a short while. You've given it a blast a few times and then it feels like the power trails off higher up the rev range

Thankfully it can be fixed, and it's not too expensive.

You need a remap. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 am 
Active user

Haha is that right :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
When I got mine it was very slow.
I was advised that it could be a boost sensor.
It turned out to be the boost sensor near the actuator.
Got a new one from Vauxhall, it's the same sensor as the Z20NET engine, it cost about £17 and it cured the problem.
What does the gauge go up to on your factory boost gauge?
Mine wasn't even making it near the red and afterwards it went a lot higher.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
Jonj1711 wrote:
Haha is that right :)

Oh absolutely :D

The B284 also suffers from it, I had an awful time with mine :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
as above ... check what the "turbo" gauge does on the dashboard under full load ... they are very progressive in their power delivery with a stock map, however when I bought my 9-3 convertible (2008 model year) a few years ago I also thought it was really slow ... turned out the throttle body had seen better days. See an old thread on this here.

Replaced that and it was much better afterwards ... although they still feel like they're choking a bit towards the upper end of the rev range. According to a mate who bought it off me a couple of years ago, apparently a 3" downpipe and stage 3 map sorts that issue out :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:31 pm 
Active user

Is it worth taking the throttle body out and giving it a good clean? I dont have anything to test it like you did unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm 
Active user

The turbo gauge when floored will get straight up to just before the red and the a whoosh of power and we are away, normal driving and its up and down and all over the place

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 2.0t
I'd advise a noobtune i love mine since it's been done an auto that tries to spin is cool ha I don't let it tho can't be good for it

Sent from my MIX 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: MY 07 9-3 SC Vector
Why not disconnect the battery for 30 mins or pull the ECU fuse to reset (can't remember which one maybe F2). The car has learnt your driving style.

I don't think you can rule out either of the valves - boost control valve and turbo bypass valve - they look the same but have different part numbers. Also get an ELM 327 and download either Torque app (Android) or Dashcommand (Apple) to check boost. it should be about 1 bar from 3rd gear upwards (don't forget 1st and 2nd the boost is limited.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm 
Saab Nut

My b204 is pretty rubbish low down even on the t25 with stage 1. It also seems to hold back and trim back in the mid power in the higher gears which I am pretty sure is due to the intercooler struggling. Boosts up to 1.2 bar so all I can think of its avoiding knock. About time I fitted my upgraded intercooler and fit a helper spring on the actuator, everything is a bit old now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Certainly my experience with the B2x4 (and B2x5) engines is that the 2.3’s are much more torquey low down, making for easier day-to-day driving than the 2.0’s which need to have their necks wrung out (by comparison) to get anywhere ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Its something to do with the later cars. My classic 900T is brilliant low down and has better throttle response. All the og 9-3's I have driven aren't as good low down or as responsive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:16 pm 
Active user

I am yet to get an adapter to show me the boost, still waiting for it to arrive from ebay. It seems ok turbo wise, but at times just feels like there should be a lot more. I agree that they are pretty poor 1st and 2nd gear but then pick up.

Wondering if its worth getting a silicone host kit for the intercooler/turbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm 
Saab Nut

I don't know if its the maps or the turbo almost feels like it is choking the engine at low revs. Might ask Jules if it can be spiced up a bit at the cost of mpg. I don't think any hose kit will help as its on low boost. A better IC might help and I wonder if the exhaust manifold has some issues due to packaging the lot in a production car. Probably better just having the runners go into a big cylinder with the turbo at one end. And a cylinder head with bigger valves as they are a bit on the small size.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
If you have the standard IC then a swap for the later T7 type (on all T7 managed 9-3s, even the LPT) would help things Rich. Yours would have a return flow IC so the air does two passes, the later ones are cross-flow so in one end out the other. Much more efficient.

The OP has a 9-3ss with the B207R however so not the same issue at all.

As others have said, I'd spend £15 on a new boost control valve which takes about 2 minutes to swap. I did mine on my 2.8T Aero while on Le Shuttle...the boost gauge should get right to the edge of the red, even a bit into the red. That yours doesn't suggests it's being held back by the ECU.

What fuel are you using? They respond way better to good fuel - V-Power or Momentum. Anything else is a poor substitute...

Agree with Rich though - changing hoses won't make any difference, it will just look prettier (if you like that sort of thing).

96V4s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 pm 
Saab Nut

I have the bits other than the IC pipes and even a front aero bumper, but I have lost a bit of interest in it.
They all seem rubbish low down compared to some other more modern turbos. I was driving my friends Mito Cloverleaf and its engine pulled so well low down and also well passed 6000 rpm. It was hardly noticeable that it had a turbo fitted, as it pretty much did what your foot told it to do. Pitty about the electric power steering and the stupid three engine settings, which reset to normal, which is terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:24 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Yep, the B207 engines are light years ahead of the B204 and B205 in that regard but even they are an almost 20 year old design now. The very latest turbo engines are incredibly broad in their torque band, with fast spooling turbos that continue to breathe at the top end.

96V4s