UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Advert titles must follow the format: Year - Model - Location - Price. eg. "1999 9-3 SE, Glasgow, £800"

**All posts in this section require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for this to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

In an effort to reduce the size of the big orange box, full listing of rules for this section have been stickied HERE. If we notice a marked drop off in compliance with the rules the orange box will be restored.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1990 900i 2 door
1990 Saab 900i 16 valve 2 Door

This car is a survivor. In the past it has been scheduled for scrapping on two occasions, and is still here. It is now of and age and in a condition where it is likely to last forever if looked after.
An elderly couple had this car for 11 years, had it serviced properly, and only used it for local journeys. Eventually they traded it in for a Mercedes from a main dealer. The dealer told them it was going to be scrapped, so they threw away all the service history they had. At this point, in 2010 it had only done 39000 miles! The Mercedes dealership, however, did not scrap it but put it on their used car lot. It was seen there by a chap who liked it and bought it. He kept it for about two years and used it as his everyday transport. He sold it on Car and Classic with 49200 miles. The next owner hardly used it at all over the next two or three years , parking it up in his garage. He was a schoolteacher and could walk to work. Then he decided to sell it, and a dealer in Warrington took it off his hands, once again with the intention of scrapping it. At this point it had covered about 49500 miles. Once the car dealer looked around it, he decided to give the faded red paintwork a polish, and then was so impressed with the overall condition, he did the necessary work to get an MOT and put it up for sale.
That is when it came into my ownership, about 2 years ago. I had been looking for a SAAB 2 door for a while. I think the 2 door shape is the best balanced of all the 900 saloon options. The three door looks a bit tail-heavy in my opinion, and the 5 door is just...well...odd. As it has less openings in the bodyshell, it is also recognised as being stiffer than the others too. The convertible is very flexible by comparison. Of course, most people would not be conscious of this, but it does seem to drive and handle very well. This has been my “hobby” car, and I have been slowly tackling any jobs that needed attention.
The bonnet edges and door bottoms were a bit corroded, so I fixed these. I fitted the period alloy wheels instead of the steel wheels. Then I replaced the headlining, which had dropped. I noticed that one of the driveshaft tunnels had been welded for the MOT, but it had not been done very tidily, and so I cut out the rusty metal and welded new metal in on both sides. The nearside was not too bad, but I thought it best to tackle it before it became a problem. I replaced the radio for a period Blaupunkt, and replaced the broken antenna with a SAAB electric aerial. Lots of other little jobs have also been done, like replacing the instrument panel lamps with LED bulbs., changing the crankshaft sensor. Oh, and I have just replaced the exhaust system.
All the time, it has been kept running, as I really enjoy driving this car. So now the mileage is at 55,500.

I am selling it to make way for a new "hobby" car - I am only allowed one at a time! I would like it to go to a UKSaabs member. So I've put it on here first.

Geoff

Attachments:
100_1672s.jpg
100_1672s.jpg [ 133.99 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]
100_1678s.jpg
100_1678s.jpg [ 387.44 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]
100_1676s.jpg
100_1676s.jpg [ 350.79 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

Last edited by mrmosky on Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Extra pictures
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:51 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1990 900i 2 door
Here are some more shots of the car. As can be seen, the Corner of the boot, under the floor is in good shape; they mostly rot out here.

The 16 valve engine is perfectly adequate for performance, and is gentler on the gearbox than the turbo.

Attachments:
100_1675s.jpg
100_1675s.jpg [ 313.58 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]
100_1671s.jpg
100_1671s.jpg [ 241.9 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]
100_1670s.jpg
100_1670s.jpg [ 235.13 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]