UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2006 9-3 Aero Convertible
Hi,

I can hear something vibrating when the revs are above 2000rpm and its been driving me around the twist, today I located the sound but just wondered if anyone else had come across something similar and how they remidied it?

Its the black engine cover, in the picture below that section on the right is vibrating against something. Have I not got it secured properly do you think? All bolts are present, just wondering how to stop the vibration.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Have you taken the cover off to check underneath?

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm 
Active user

Hello, yes had it off, couldn't see anything obvious as to why it should be vibrating, just seems to be knocking against something. Didn't know if it was a common issue or I just havent got the cover on properly.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Jonj1711 wrote:
Hello, yes had it off, couldn't see anything obvious as to why it should be vibrating, just seems to be knocking against something. Didn't know if it was a common issue or I just havent got the cover on properly.
Not a common issue. The noise goes away with the cover off if I understand correctly?

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm 
Active user

Yes or just holding that bit of plastic. I will get a picture tomorrow to show whats there.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 pm 
Active user

Its vibrating against the thing circled in red. Interestingly I can't see that part on other B207R engines I have looked at??

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 pm 
Active user

Looking at a couple of other pics of a B207R engine, I can see it now, but not in all. Either way its that its vibrating against. Does anyone know what it is or does?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3ss
Jonj1711 wrote:
Looking at a couple of other pics of a B207R engine, I can see it now, but not in all. Either way its that its vibrating against. Does anyone know what it is or does?

It's the mounting bracket for the atmospheric pressure sensor which appears to be absent on your car.

According to WIS, this sensor was only fitted to certain cars during MY04, mine being one of them and it is always inconveniently in the way when changing the oil filter!

Attachments:
AtmosPS.JPG
AtmosPS.JPG [ 72.87 KiB | Viewed 105 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 am 
Active user

Hello,

Many thanks! How strange, should I have one? Mine is a 2006 2.0 Converitble Aero.

There is no signs that anything has ever been there.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 9-3 1.8t Vector Sport
Has one of the rubber grommets where it fixes at the front gone AWOL?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:47 am 
Active user

Both grommets in place. I thought that my engine cover might be slightly off but its in the two grommets and screwed down correctly. Its more a frustration than anything else. I am already putting up with a whirring gearbox, last thing I want is to put up with another sound :)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am 
Active user

Aerobubble - Strange that they would leave the bracket there. Unless its used for something else its obsolete and I hope able to be removed? Would sort my vibrating problem out!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3ss
Jonj1711,

That bracket does appear to be obsolete on your engine.

It's difficult to see on the terrible picture I posted yesterday, but on my car the sensor wiring is bound together with that for the inlet manfold absolute pressure sensor, which is on the left by the throttle body. Even if you did have the atmospheric pressure sensor at some point, your wiring in that area appears to be different/missing.

I would just go ahead and remove the bracket - what is the worst that can happen! :|

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 pm 
Active user

Indeed, as far as I can see its not doing any other job or supporting anything else. I will take it off over the weekend :)