UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
The 9000 upto 1994 had a real temp gauge, later had a placebo.

Yours is fine for a turbo model. Don't need to worry until you get up to the red bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
I agree with Dave, nothing wrong with that reading :wink:

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
Thanks for all the advice people. It's now booked in at Malcolm Miles to get the stat changed and coolant flushed / replaced. Don't know if the stat needs doing but as it's not an expensive part of a big job then I may as well get it done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I've finally got round to improving the rear end appearance of the car. It was missing the chrome strip inlay, which luckily I had on the spares car.

The bumper comes off nice and easily - 4 x 17mm nuts inside the boot and then two side bolts holding the lower trim. There were loads of cobwebs etc but luckily little / no rust. Gave it a quick wipe with the T-Cut:

Image9000_1 by James Vey, on Flickr

Time to evict the snails - I'm hoping now my car will feel less sluggish...

You're welcome...I'm here all day peeps!

Image9000_2 by James Vey, on Flickr

Image9000_3 by James Vey, on Flickr

Didn't go mad on cleaning the tip up, but thought I may as well have a go at improving it whilst the bumper was off:

Image9000_4 by James Vey, on Flickr

Gave the bumper a quick T-Cut whilst it was off the car as that meant I could reach all the red parts, unlike when it's on the car. Chrome strip back in and bumper back on - whole job took an hour of so whilst most other people were watching the World Cup!

Image9000_5 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Nice work, coming along quite nicely now 8)

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
I suppose that’s one way to cook snails.....

Great update. Wish I was giving some TLC to a classic car instead of sitting through the stress of the football last night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
Excellent work enjoyed reading your progress.
Hopefully I can get mine moving along but unfortunately have a fair bit of rust to deal with first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 am 
UKSaabs Trader

On Friday afternoon I took a trip over to Leicester to see the guys at Malcolm Miles. The 9000 was well overdue a coolant flush and as the stat was suspected knackered, a new one of those too.

The stuff which came out was clearly many years old. Jason flushed the system with the hose and removed the old stat which had obviously seen better days:

Image9000G by James Vey, on Flickr

Image9000I by James Vey, on Flickr

And replaced it with a nice shiny new one:

Image9000H by James Vey, on Flickr

Whilst I was under the car I took the opportunity to have a look round - I always like to be nosey like this when the opportunity arises. I think I have been incredibly lucky with how little the car has rusted in the 7 years it was sitting idle. Whilst under the car I also noticed Neil's handywork - when I swapped the front valance I couldn't find the bracket to hold the temp sensor so had cable-tied it in place. Neil kindly made a bracket to hold it out of the way. Not pretty but does the job. Same with the bracket.

Jason noticed that the top hose was started to split on the inner walls and suggested I replaced it. I replaced it with the much better one from the silver breaker (did that the following day on a cold engine!)

Image9000J by James Vey, on Flickr

The temperature gauge is now sitting at 9 o'clock when cruising along and goes up to about 10 o'clock in traffic. The fan kicks in as required and brings the temperature down. Happy days.

Forgot to add in my previous post, I changed the rear plastic boot trim piece as this had cracked where the bolts hold it in place:

Image9000K by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:00 am 
UKSaabs Trader

No proper work updates as such for the time being. I've been enjoying driving the car a couple of times a week and have had a lot of positive comments about it.

I've actually stuck it up for sale - thinking that it will be a constant drain on my wallet (as I will be always working to try and get it perfect) - it's in the For Sale section here if anyone is interested.

If it doesn't sell, then I'll take it off the road over winter and use the 9-5.

Image9000_1 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:34 pm 
Active user

Good luck cracking looking car in the best colour :wink: hope it goes to a enthusiast who looks after it.

Picked up a friends trailer today so hopefully going on a 1100 mile road trip next Tuesday to get a rot free car to reshell mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Well, a deal was done last night and the car was driven away - down to Truro in Cornwall.

It has absolutely 100% gone to an enthusiast, and the guy has lots of plans on what he wants to do with it to bring it up to a much higher standard.

Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread, answered questions and generally chipped in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
That's good to hear. You did a damn good job at creating a good foundation for the car to live on.

So what's the next project?

:D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:30 pm 
Active user

JamesVey wrote:
Well, a deal was done last night and the car was driven away - down to Truro in Cornwall.

It has absolutely 100% gone to an enthusiast, and the guy has lots of plans on what he wants to do with it to bring it up to a much higher standard.

Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread, answered questions and generally chipped in.

Are you done with Saabs now or do you have something else?

Where did you get the alloys cut and painted? What sort of money was it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 am 
UKSaabs Trader

richfr wrote:
JamesVey wrote:

Are you done with Saabs now or do you have something else?

Where did you get the alloys cut and painted? What sort of money was it?

I've still got my diesel DE 9-5, which has had a lot of mechanical attention from me and is proving to be a fantastic daily commuter. Within touching distance of 180k on that now. Project thread is on here somewhere.

I'm still breaking 9-5 Aeros (2002-2010) so no, certainly not done in SAABworld!

Got the wheels done at TrimTechnique in Burbage (Leics) - they cost £400 to get done. When I got the Hirsch wheels done last year (which had the same process minus the diamond cut, those cost £300).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am 
Active user

JamesVey wrote:
richfr wrote:
JamesVey wrote:

Got the wheels done at TrimTechnique in Burbage (Leics) - they cost £400 to get done. When I got the Hirsch wheels done last year (which had the same process minus the diamond cut, those cost £300).

Thats a good price will have to get mine done when the car is about finished.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I'm possibly one of the few people that continues a thread after having sold a project car, but thought it was worth it with this.

I have come back to work today with an email from a couple of colleagues telling me my old car is now famous. Makes in interesting read and it seems to be attracting all manner of comments. Seems to be a lot of "know-it-alls" and keyboard warriors out there:

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/saab-9000-turbo-carlsson-spotted/38583

Anyway, enough about them...

So yesterday I took a long drive down to Cornwall yesterday to deliver a host of parts that were included as part of the sale, but which were not available at the time he took the car away (cylinder head and steering column to name a couple).

The 9000 was there for me to admire - the new owner has his own detailing company and has really brought the car up to a new level. Still a work in progress and more improvements to come (as is always the case!) but my god it looked good. Bonnet now has a decent shine on it at last:

ImageIMG_1179 by James Vey, on Flickr

He'd refurbed the steering wheel (I think he said painted):

ImageIMG_1178 by James Vey, on Flickr

Polish, polish, polish:

ImageIMG_1177 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1176 by James Vey, on Flickr

Engine bay getting there - his plan is to paint the rocker cover and DI pack:

ImageIMG_1175 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I thought the paint looked good after you had cleaned and polished it. You are right it's another level of gleam. Sadly he's not that near Wigan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
You can certainly chalk this one up to a huge success. It could have been sat in that field for too long, looks like you caught it at right the time.
Decent PH write up.

What’s next then?!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Silly you for thinking it was a Carlsson, everyone knows every PH member knows everything about every car. Ever. Just a standard CS, £1500 at most.

Very glad this has gone to someone to give it that extra 5% TLC. I just hope, as your ad mentioned, it's still used and enjoyed and not just shoved in a collection or relisted for a hopeful £20k. At least its another saved, well done!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6