UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 aero - knocking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:00 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Wagon
sounds wrote:
Dodgy loom?

But where? I tried adding an extra earth direct to the head following your previous suggestion, so it probably isn't as simple as a dodgy earth...

Guess checking any other earth points wouldn't hurt though. Don't think I know where the main earth connections are tbh - presumably there's an earth strap or two somewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:29 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Don't know to be honest ... I presume the ECU itself is earthed via its' case, probably worth checking that too. I'm clutching at straws here as well :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 am 
Saab Nut

Still suffering here...
Fitted some shiny new BCR-8s - no change. Guess a different map is prob the next thing to try.

Anyone have a pin-out for the DI connector? I'm assuming it's part of the main engine loom as opposed to an easily-replaceable sub-loom...?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm 
UKS Addict

There will be a wiring diagram (possibly with a separate pin-out) in WIS ... 99% sure it's part of the main loom. I'd resigned myself to replacing the loom on my old 9-5 until I discovered the suspect earth connection ... didn't look too difficult to be honest, just time consuming.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 pm 
Saab Nut

Yeah I expect there will, I'll dig out the laptop with WIS on it later and see what I can find.

A bit of reading on TT suggests that I'm not alone, and wiring issues to the DI are indeed the usual suspect... I'll probably start with confirming it has a good earth assuming I can find that pin-out, as it presumably isn't just earthed through the head.

I really need to fix it soon - been spending far too much time contemplating new cars as an alternative!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am 
Saab Nut

For reference, pin 6 (the one below the empty one on the DI connector) goes to G7 - the earth point on the inlet mani.

Both of those connections look ok on my car, but I'll get the multimeter out later and see whether they're actually working...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:28 pm 
Saab Nut

The earths checked out ok after the drive home today, but of course the ****ing thing wasn't showing any symptoms at that point, unlike after every other drive I've done recently!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 pm 
UKS Addict

.. sod's law!

If it makes you feel any better, it took me about 2-3 months - and much expense/part swapping - before I found the source of my trouble. I was literally just about to swap the entire wiring loom, it was in the process of doing that when I discovered the dodgy earth ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:09 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 aero 2005 & 9-5 SE
Hi Ziggy, No help at all, but just wanted to say having read through your post, you are indeed not alone! I have been chasing the exact same problem since buying my 2005 aero, 6 years ago!! Running temperature does affect performance, and to date i have replaced cps, plugs, cleaned MAF, changed pcv & coolant hoses to silicone. Since finding a local member with Tech II earlier this year, I have changed the DIC twice, but both showed signs of the arcing problem, and a mates Tech II has confirmed they are both faulty, he had a spare good one that we tried, & it did feel alot better and the knocks & misfires were dramatically reduced (2 or 3 instead of 100's!) so as soon as i can afford to shell out on a brand new one I'll give that a try! Good luck, and i hope one of us manages to solve the problem, in case they are related! :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:34 am 
Saab Nut

neo3670 wrote:
Hi Ziggy, No help at all, but just wanted to say having read through your post, you are indeed not alone! I have been chasing the exact same problem since buying my 2005 aero, 6 years ago!! Running temperature does affect performance, and to date i have replaced cps, plugs, cleaned MAF, changed pcv & coolant hoses to silicone. Since finding a local member with Tech II earlier this year, I have changed the DIC twice, but both showed signs of the arcing problem, and a mates Tech II has confirmed they are both faulty, he had a spare good one that we tried, & it did feel alot better and the knocks & misfires were dramatically reduced (2 or 3 instead of 100's!) so as soon as i can afford to shell out on a brand new one I'll give that a try! Good luck, and i hope one of us manages to solve the problem, in case they are related! :wall:

Good luck! If you've read through the thread, make sure you check for earthing problems - that's helped a lot of people.

I think I need to find someone who definitely doesn't have any problems with their DI. Mine is new (and the old one doesn't show any problems other than the exact same behaviour!), but technically could be at fault...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 am 
Saab Nut

sounds wrote:
.. sod's law!

If it makes you feel any better, it took me about 2-3 months - and much expense/part swapping - before I found the source of my trouble. I was literally just about to swap the entire wiring loom, it was in the process of doing that when I discovered the dodgy earth ...

Got a chance to check the resistance from pin 6 to earth when hot and bothered... and it's fine. :wall:
Still going to run a direct connection to be sure, but pretty sure that'll be a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 am 
Saab Nut

Got round to adding ECMS to my bin last night, so I can confirm that it's definitely knock that's limiting things. Hardly shocking, but still.

I'll still add that extra earth wire as soon as I get a chance, but I keep coming back to the DI as a suspect - my old one is cracked so would be entirely unsurprising to see problems there, and the new one could be faulty... I think I need to find a volunteer to try the new one out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 am 
Saab Nut

ziggy wrote:
I'll still add that extra earth wire as soon as I get a chance

...done, made no difference.

Next stop, DI swap. :wall:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 am 
Saab Nut

DI swapped (cheers brooksy), and with a slight hiatus to replace the clutch hydraulic pipe (cheers BillJ)... there's no difference whatsoever.

(Apparently I'm now a 'Saab Nut' as of this post. Oh, the irony)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Model year?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am 
Saab Nut

sounds wrote:
Model year?

2005/6 (55 plate)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm 
UKS Addict

I'll have to take a look in WIS ... think I still have a wiring loom from a 2003 model year, not sure if it will be compatible with yours.

EDIT: checked ... sadly not :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero HOT - :-)
Did you swap the DI's back - if not i will take your new di for a spin. Still worth proving its worthiness in my wagon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm 
Saab Nut

brooksy wrote:
Did you swap the DI's back - if not i will take your new di for a spin. Still worth proving its worthiness in my wagon.

No, got the clutch hose sorted on Tues so I could try yours out and... no difference. So I'm back on my spare now. Guess it still won't hurt for you to confirm that mine is all good in a healthy car if you get a chance though! Doesnt take much - once it's up to temperature, if you stop and turn it off for ~10mins, then try and drive it again, it will be obviously slooooow. Will just come and swap back though if you're not going to be using your car - it's pretty unlikely to be the DI at this point I think!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm 
Saab Nut

sounds wrote:
I'll have to take a look in WIS ... think I still have a wiring loom from a 2003 model year, not sure if it will be compatible with yours.

EDIT: checked ... sadly not :(

Ah, thanks for checking!

Need to check the earth to the ECU next I think. Might put a different ECU in it after that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next