UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: S
Ignition switch seems to be something that every 9000 has had to get done. Mine went, but it still allowed me to start the car luckily.

9-5 Aero Stage 3 Noobtune
9000 Aero Stage 3 Saabflight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
The bits arrived at the beginning of the week and what was claimed on The Web of Lies as a 30 minute job needing a couple of torx drivers and a hex key has proved to be incorrect. Unless you are small, agile and have multiple joints in your arms that normal humans can only dream of.

The old unit is out and I have installed the new unit. Being cautious I have tried to start the car before replacing everything. Being Me it won't bloomin' start. :cry: I have put the task of finding out why to one side lest my inner gorilla takes over. At least it'll be difficult to take the car away.
Attachment:
MidModuleSwap.jpg
MidModuleSwap.jpg [ 116.97 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
nothing worse than doing a carp job and still no further forwards
me mums ignition didnt work one day some lecy contact cleaner and carb cleaner then some lube sorted it never happened again in 2 years then she sold it

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: S
You had to remove your steering wheel to replace the ignition switch? I can't remember the details when I did it, but it was pretty easy and I definitely didn't have to take the steering wheel off.

9-5 Aero Stage 3 Noobtune
9000 Aero Stage 3 Saabflight

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am 
UKS Addict

You may not have to remove the steering wheel. I went that way as a result of miscommunication with my cousin. He'd just swapped the whole ignition and column from a donar car to his 9000. So I followed what he'd done.

As I have a Carsson steering wheel to fit as well it seemed an ok way to do everything, eventually.

Though being an arthritic gorilla with an oversized waist the "move seat back and maul on the floor" method was never going to be warmly embraced by me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 am 
UKS Addict

A minor update: It seems the "dicky ignition" was a smokescreen. The ignition was not turning correctly and comparing the action with the new one shows that it was a tired and grumpy unit that could have failed sooner rather than later. But when the car wouldn't start after swapping them over I assumed it was something I had done/not done and spent time chasing smoke and thin air.

It was the starter motor that had packed in. Looking back it could have been the starter motor that packed in on Lidl carpark and the switch was working at the time. It's taken this long to diagnose as my trusty UnderTheCar Monkey (my cousin) could only call round and investigate over a couple of weekends. The direct connection of the starter connections was the final proof that it was fubar.

I booked it into my local garage to have a new unit fitted, but as they are a busy garage I had to week a week and a half before they had a slot. While they had it I got them to do a service too.

I'm now using it as my Daily Driver to get some time behind the wheel getting familiar with it's quirks to work out what are quirks and what's not. The bloomin' immobiliser is a "quirk" that I keep forgetting and panic when the car doesn't start.

I will be cleaning it soon, so my cousin has told me. :roll: It does need a wash and polish though and to date I'm avoiding the local hand-washes, to date.

Next on the list will be seeing how front and side amber indicators look, replacing the badges and popping a standard grill back on the front.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm 
UKS Addict

The car's been a delight as a daily driver I'm pleased to report. The "immobiliser" problem i thought I was having turned out to be the central locking relay. I had (again) been mislead by my diagnoses of what was happening. The alarm was turning off and on perfectly with the blipper it was an occasionally lazy central locking relay. That has been sorted (for now) by swapping the unit for the unit in my cousin's donor car.

A week or so ago I dropped the original 16" wheels off at my local refurb place. "be three or four weeks" That was fine with me as I'd popped a spare set on and wasn't in any rush. They rang me on Monday to see if I wanted to replace the tyres as a couple were close to the end of their life. "I'll drop a set off" which were a set I got a few months ago when someone posted the Demon Tweeks Buy 3 get 1 free offer.

Unexpectedly I was off work today and so decided to do the wheels running around. Jeez it's warm.

Anyway here's the required Before shot with the 15" "spare set"
Attachment:
PreRefurb.jpg
PreRefurb.jpg [ 201.02 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

And the After shot with the original 16" wheels (which can bee seen earlier in the thread)
Attachment:
PostRefurb.jpg
PostRefurb.jpg [ 175.75 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

I need some new bolts though, those are manky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 pm 
UKS Addict

A couple of minor changes.
I've swapped the front clear indicators for orange versions. For some reason I prefer an orange with a dark paint.
Sprayed the grill that was on the car satin black as the "grill" was metal and beginning to rust a little. This is a fudge till I decide what to do.
Swapped the paint free Saab badge for a new one. Which looks slightly off kilter in this photo. I'll check it again later.
Not the best photo but I was up against another of the fleet, not much space on the drive.
Attachment:
GrilledOranges.jpg
GrilledOranges.jpg [ 99.06 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 am 
UKS Addict

Some more minor updates.
I took the wiper arms off and rubbed them down to clean them up before using a rattle can to paint them. I replaced the front wiper blade with Bosch Aero blades blagged from eBay. The rear blade had rotted and was replaced with a Bosch item too. I forgot about the headlamp wipers :oops: and will be changing them as well as they are crusty and probably came with the car.

I can report the front wipers did a stirling job in Sunday nights atrocious weather while driving down to Bristol. While in the area I popped in to see Martin at JamSaab for a chat and he put the rear wiper arm in the right place :oops: That also works now in the rain.

On the way home I got caught up in the traffic jam on the M5 after the crash at J4. Several hours of stop-start and the car was fine. Which is more than I was.

The car can spin up the new tyres in 2nd if it's damp and I'm too enthusiastic with the Loud pedal and it's a quick motor at other times too.

I've now done a couple of thousand miles in it since I bought it early in the year and I'm getting to know it better.

I will be fitting the correct anniversary front seats (I have several) soon. The novelty of electric seats has worn off and in reality when the seat is in the right place you rarely adjust it again. Unless I find electric anniversary seats...

The aerial will be looked at over the weekend. It doesn't extend and if it did I may not have been on the M5 for so long.

Still winning, as an annoying hotel ad currently tells us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 pm 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Great progress fellow 9k nut!

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 pm 
UKS Addict

While out and about yesterday I was thinking, always a worry, about how I am thinking about the 9000 in the same way I think of my bikes. None of the bikes are still stock but all the changes are to make them "fit" me and what *I* want from them. As an example my 1200 Bandit has a touring size Scottoiler, hard luggage hardware and a little fly screen type fairing. Get a little closer and you'll spot the rear-sets and the purple rear shock. If you know your shocks you'll think "hmm, Maxton, trick kit". What you won't see is the GSXR 1100 cams and other tweaks that make it move like stuff off a shiny shovel when I get a move on.

I'm thinking of the 9000 in the same way. It won't be concourse but it will be comfortable and not be lacking in the suspenders and stoppers departments. This one's a keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:24 pm 
UKS Addict

I've been chipping away at the ToDo list slowly, very slowly. I have cleaned up the wiper arms by sanding them down and zapping them with a rattle can.
Attachment:
BefoeAfterWipers.jpg
BefoeAfterWipers.jpg [ 38.15 KiB | Viewed 92 times ]

I did the back wiper arm as well and got new blades for all round.
Then remembered the headlamp wiper blades. :roll: They arrived today and will be fitted shortly.
Proof that I actually did it myself. The hook was the bugger but wrapping sandpaper round a pencil worked well enough. And a film to watch helped
Attachment:
WipersSanding.jpg
WipersSanding.jpg [ 55.9 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 pm 
UKS Addict

Next was the rear badge. The front was easy to prise out with some plastic "sticks". But the rear has no gaps to stick the, err, sticks into. After reading what others have done I went with a bradawl. Bloomin' tough plastic the old badge.
Attachment:
RearBadgeBogery.jpg
RearBadgeBogery.jpg [ 61.45 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

I must stop cleaning the lens on my phone by spitting on my hanky before I wipe it
The black tape is part of the reversing sensors which seem to be non-functioning (or I don't back up close enough)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 pm 
UKS Addict

The next thing that is half-ticked off is to replace the front seats with correct Anniversary seats. I have the seats, I've seen them in the lounge. When it actually came to doing the job it turns out I only have a driver's side in the lounge. The rest (and more beside) are in the storage unit.
These are the seats that were in the car when I collected it.
Plus: Electric
Minus: Wrong colour
Attachment:
FirstSeats.jpg
FirstSeats.jpg [ 103.33 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

I found the large torx socket the other night and set to. Might as well get one changed especially as it's where I sit.

Having a hernia trying to escape through my navel isn't helping and it took ages to get the one seat out. Here's the under seat swag. 20p, a spare seat runner bolt and some black nail varnish.
Attachment:
SwagFrontSeat.jpg
SwagFrontSeat.jpg [ 78.46 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

Pleased with my efforts but disappointing because it was now dark I found a substitute drivers seat. Not sure about the colour though.
Attachment:
StoolSeat.jpg
StoolSeat.jpg [ 135.46 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

If I can get my act together I'll put the real one in tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 pm 
UKS Addict

While in the back I noticed the driver's side window switch is slightly askew. I probably knew about it from when we talked about the car when I picked it so it's not a surprise. I doubt I would have noticed if I hadn't been attacking the rear bolts on the seat rail. The last time I spent any length of time on the back seat of a car I owned black nail varnish was all the rage :wink: :wink:

I've not looked closely but I suspect it's just the clip bits have broken. If my cousin hasn't done the same to his "spare" then it'll be easily sorted.
Attachment:
RearWindowSwitch.jpg
RearWindowSwitch.jpg [ 87.61 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Full of enthusiasm... I continued with the seat swap tonight.

To ease myself into an evening of cussing and stuff I replaced the headlamp wiper blades, which i forgot about replacing the other week. A cheapo set from eBay because I was on there and they were cheap.
And this is why they were cheap. Not really the same *but* the bit that did the connection was and with a smidgen of coercion they clipped into place.
It looks the the old ones may have been the originals and as effective at wiping as i am at housework.
Attachment:
HeadlampWipers.jpg
HeadlampWipers.jpg [ 67.86 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

They don't look to bad when fitted to be honest. I suppose i should give the wiper arms some attention at some point. Being this close to the headlamps I saw just how manky looking they are. There's condensation/grime on the inside of the glass and I can see what look like rust spots. These are defo coming out and being attended to/swapped or refurbed. I prefer to see and be seen The Night Breakers "Next Generation" that arrived today will be saved till the headlamps have been sorted.
Attachment:
HealampWiper.jpg
HealampWiper.jpg [ 121.96 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 pm 
UKS Addict

While at the front I decided to have a walk round to look at what else was obvious.
At the front the spoiler is pitted, which I knew before I bought it. It's slightly odd as it's only really on one half. Number plates are looking shabby too. Dilemma of a 1st world kind; metal or plastic, screws or stick on :lol:
Attachment:
PittedSpoiler.jpg
PittedSpoiler.jpg [ 143.53 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

Round the back and the same issues with the back number plate as it's looking grubby and starting to delaminate. Round the back the extra dilemma is do I get a surround with a pithy slogan in Swedish such as my .sig The tail piece looks like it's drooping as well. Good my ToDo list is written on loo-roll.
The bigger debate I am having with myself is do I debadge or not. The "9000" badge fell off or was missing, I don't remember and I do have a replacement but... Keep the buggers guessing.
Attachment:
DebadgeOrNot.jpg
DebadgeOrNot.jpg [ 90.93 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

Finally a gratuitous side view to prove I swapped the side indicators a week or so ago. I must stop licking the lens to "clean" it.
Some of the rest of the fleet are photo-bombing. On the left, in a fetching black is Heinz. At the top is Scratchy, the veteran of the fleet and my 1st Saab. The just sneaking in in green is Itchy who is currently on the naughty step for not playing nicely after we put the Dekas in. When I've finished this faffing with Bramwell I will start sorting it out. When it runs it flies, briefly.
Attachment:
SideView.jpg
SideView.jpg [ 89.22 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Finally onto the main event of the evening. I did everything the wrong way round, I now realise. I should have attached the end of the seat-belt to the seat while it was easy to manipulate the seat and not when it was bolted in place. I should have bolted the far runner in place first to get the seat secure and then faffed with the near runner instead of trying the access the inaccessible from the rear seat, the passenger seat. I now vaguely remember all this from decades ago but hay-ho. Every day is a school day and I've still to swap the passenger side which should now be less hassle.

I did some preparation. i got my new car vacuum out and did the area that would be under the seat. :shock: Why? because it's just not the done thing to sit on another man's pie crumbs, that's why.
Attachment:
NoPieCrumbs.jpg
NoPieCrumbs.jpg [ 113.88 KiB | Viewed 66 times ]
There's no pics yet of the swapped seat because I was getting very hacked off with my slow progress, it was getting dark and then just as I finished tightening the seat-belt it started raining like Noah had asked for something to get his boat afloat.

An unexpected bonus is the rear driver's door window switch mentioned up ^^^^ there fell off completely and I nearly stood on it on the drive. Having a good look it seemed it should just plug back in. I tried and it did. So for now that's "fixed"

This pic wasn't going to be posted [wot is missing, posting late night and tired] till I realised I'd included the scuffed steering wheel. Now included
Attachment:
VacAndWheel.jpg
VacAndWheel.jpg [ 81.07 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
This is another decision I cant quite decide. Do I source a proper wooden anniversary wheel? Do I fit the Carlsson wheel (and adaptor) I have or do I find another leather wheel or try and refresh this one. Thankfully picking a bottle of red wine for my reward for tonight's success was very easy.

I can only get to my storage on Saturday so the passenger seat swap will be done at the weekend. Probably. Then I think it's about time I got Itchy off the naughty step and tried to sort out the rough running on that. It's been discussed elsewhere so I have a checklist all ready.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm 
UKS Addict

Saturday morning, up at Sparrow Trump and eager to sort the lights out. I started the dismantle on my own. Not too difficult. The indicators are on a spring clip (Hah you poor 9-5 owners...) and four bolts for each headlamp. I sent this to my "assistant" to make him get his sorry self to where the action was happening.
Attachment:
LightsOutSmall.jpg
LightsOutSmall.jpg [ 194.63 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

He arrived with a pair of headlamps from his 97' breaker and I have a spare pair I picked up a while ago. His pair were the best as my spares had some stone pitting. Both were better than the ones on the car that had let damp in and were cloudy. Mentioned in the last MOT too.
Attachment:
LightInLeft.jpg
LightInLeft.jpg [ 152.8 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
Attachment:
LightInRight.jpg
LightInRight.jpg [ 117.08 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

Proof that they were indeed replaced and looking good.
I replaced all four bulbs with the nightbreaker / whatevers I'd bought and then we went into a routine Messrs Laurel and Hardy would have been proud of.
"Lights switched on?"
"Yep"
"All of them"
"Yep"
"This one isn't working..."
<faffing>
"Plugging the feed to it makes a difference" :roll:
"ok, that side light is out"
"did you check the feed"
"Yes!"
"OK, that's blown. We've loads of spares here"
<faffing>
"Nope still not working"
"Oh, your turn to forget the feed?" :roll:
And so on and so on. :D
My cousin's on the same wavelength so we just worked through it. Him being there saved me doing a zillion FitBit steps I'm pleased to say. And they were all working as they should. Even after the indicators were put back.

He then buggered off the play cricket and left me unsupervised.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

I also went the pub late yesterday afternoon and had to wait till tonight to check that the lights were indeed brighter. I'm quite happy with them. The passenger side needs to be adjusted down so it's not targeting light aircraft but a significant improvement. No doubt better pics will appear at some point.
This is the full dip & main retina fryingmode
Attachment:
LightsWorking.jpg
LightsWorking.jpg [ 87.81 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next