UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 pm 
Active user

Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
So got the exhaust done. It sounds sweet.

The welds are excellent. Even with 2 silencers it makes an awesome rumble!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
How did you do the aux input mate?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm 
Active user

StatusRed wrote:

I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
Active user

guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:

I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

Awesome looks easy enough thanks! :)

Do all cars have that addon switch board even if they didn't come with telephone capability?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am 
Active user

StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:

Awesome looks easy enough thanks! :)

Do all cars have that addon switch board even if they didn't come with telephone capability?

' nordwulf:
"This should work on all AS2 and AS3 head units MY98-05. Some older ones may have different boards and tape player inside but the main board should have the same connections.

I have been using it for a while now and still sounds fantastic." Quote from Saabworld'

I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
guffers158 wrote:
<snip>
I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.
But knowing Saab's reputation for being "different" not as unlikely as we'd wish. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm 
Active user

guffers158 wrote:

Yes very true, so judging by your photo did you opt to fit a female 3.5mm socket to the PCB rather than the male 3.5mm jack as seen in the guide?

That's what I'd think of doing too, because it seems less likely to get damaged and more versatile. If that's not what you did, do you envisage any problems doing what I suggested?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:

Absolute doddle and fires up "TELEPHONE" on the SID

Lexus LS430

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Is it in stereo?

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 am 
Active user

StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:

Yes very true, so judging by your photo did you opt to fit a female 3.5mm socket to the PCB rather than the male 3.5mm jack as seen in the guide?

That's what I'd think of doing too, because it seems less likely to get damaged and more versatile. If that's not what you did, do you envisage any problems doing what I suggested?

Yes I fitted a female socket as I wanted it to look as OEM as possible. So I drilled through the front of the stereo and placed it there so it looks original relatively. Plus it wouldn't be bouncing around and very unlikely to get damaged unlike the male counterparts.

sgould wrote:
Is it in stereo?

Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Active user

guffers158 wrote:
Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.

How would you suggest doing the switch? Just any old SPST will do? Any recommendations for specific ones that might even fit into blanked switches on the dash?

Thanks again much appreciated! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm 
Active user

StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:

How would you suggest doing the switch? Just any old SPST will do? Any recommendations for specific ones that might even fit into blanked switches on the dash?

I just got a Single pole single throw switch from work. Looked like the one I've attached. I cut out one of the blanks on the left hand side of the steering wheel. Then popped it in. I did a bit of a butchery of it tbf. But if you take care it'll look really good. I didn't put it next to the seat heaters as I may get cooled seats at some point.

Attachments:
File comment: SPST switch
517ed955ce395f471d000000.png
517ed955ce395f471d000000.png [ 244.47 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm 
Active user

guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:

I just got a Single pole single throw switch from work. Looked like the one I've attached. I cut out one of the blanks on the left hand side of the steering wheel. Then popped it in. I did a bit of a butchery of it tbf. But if you take care it'll look really good. I didn't put it next to the seat heaters as I may get cooled seats at some point.

Awesome thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:03 pm 
Active user

Right, so I was driving to Kaliningrad to watch a couple of the world cup matches. We were going in my Saab.
1200 miles or so there and then the same back. Everything was going swimmingly until I got onto the Autobahn. Of course on the Autobahn I wanted to see what she could do. So wound her up got to about 150mph on the SatNav. I think the dials said about 158mph or something. I thought ye pretty good. I'm sure she has some more in her. Wound it up again and got to 250kmh/155mph. Woohoo well fast. Anyway was probably driving over 6000rpm for too long. Come off the power and I notice every time I put my foot down I can here a knocking. Pull into the nearest Services and as we pull in she completely dies. I wrestled it to a car parking space. Pulled up popped the bonnet and started her up again. All we can hear is a delightful knocking sound. I assumed it was the bottom end bearing or piston bearing. Luckily my dad has got great European breakdown cover with his bank. If the car is toast. They'll give us a hire car to our holiday and back from our holiday. The tow truck pulls up and we start it and the tow truck man gives us his 2 cents and says its a right off. He puts it on the lorry and begins to take us to a storage unit. I'm thinking "naa my saab isn't dead no way". I find a supposed Saab garage close by and we ring the RAC and ask them to make him take us there. After about 30 mins of driving we pull up to this garage and its like Saab Heaven in Germany. Every kind of saab lying all around the forecourt and the workshop. 9-5's, 9-3's, 9000's and special editions. We are lucky to of found this place! They even had the best condition Saab Viggen I've ever seen. 12000 euros for sale! We take my car off the Lorry and start it up. The mechanics agree that it is probably bottom end but they will take a look. The guys at the garage couldn't be anymore accommodating and they really know there stuff and really care about Saabs. They will try to do it as fast as possible and keep me updated when they have checked out the car. The hire car arrives and we are on our way.

The garage is troll cars Paderborn https://www.saab-zentrum-paderborn.de/

I am updated with WhatsApp messages of what they have done and what they are going to do.

engine removed

Removed Crank shaft and pistons

Pistons

Damage to Piston bearing No.3

Crankshaft. hmm shouldn't be a crack there

Close up of crack

Bearing bits in Oil pan

Cylinder head removed

and then to top it all off my drivers side CV boot burst

What they are going to do is
-Crankshaft replaced with another used one
-Repair of shortblock with new main and conrod bearings.
-Pistons replaced with Forged Wossner as they are cheaper and better than standard.
-New valve gaskets
-Cylinder head gasket
-thermostat and waterpump replaced with new
-CV boot for right hand drive shaft.

Pics of New Pistons ooh shiny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
That looks more serious than my German autobahn blow-up last month!! :shock:

I don't think I've seen a cracked crankshaft before.

but Wossners cheaper than Saab? Not really surprised, I supposed, but they could get you to 600hp now, ready for the way home!!

Mine was "just" a turbo...

Attachment:
P1020032.JPG
P1020032.JPG [ 112.2 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

Last edited by sgould on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm 
Active user

They say constant speed over 6000 rpm isn't good. Woops. Turbo is all good! So is clutch and gearbox. So pretty much a full engine rebuild cool!
Damn turbo looks a bit pantsed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 pm 
Active user

Right so all the work has been completed and I've driven it back to the UK and changed the Oil and Filter.
Just got another 500 miles to go till she's fully run in. Will change the Oil in about 1000miles again just to be sure.

Also fitted a magnetic titanium sump plug. Don't know if it will be any better or not but we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Active user

So got home and it seams to be drinking coolant. The coolant smells of Petrol and the exhaust is puffing out white smoke. So I assume its a head Gasket. Bit Austin Allegro considering the whole engine has been rebuilt. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm 
Active user

guffers158 wrote:
So got home and it seams to be drinking coolant. The coolant smells of Petrol and the exhaust is puffing out white smoke. So I assume its a head Gasket. Bit Austin Allegro considering the whole engine has been rebuilt. :(

Oh poo what a shame! Is there a warranty on it from the rebuild people?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm 
Active user

So ye leaking Coolant into the 3rd Cylinder. Wouldn't crank as its hydraulically locked .

Hmm shouldn't be blue in there

Hm tasty spark plugs the order is wrong it goes 4, 3, 2, 1 >

I've been speaking to the garage in Germany. There is 2 year warranty on all Saab parts. That's what they said originally. But as its been rebuilt should hopefully pay for the whole job. Bit pants if they don't as it was a full engine rebuild.

Last edited by guffers158 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.