UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC



Forum rules


A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
So got the exhaust done. It sounds sweet.
Image
Image
Image

The welds are excellent. Even with 2 silencers it makes an awesome rumble!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
How did you do the aux input mate?

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
StatusRed wrote:
How did you do the aux input mate?


I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:
How did you do the aux input mate?


I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000


Awesome looks easy enough thanks! :)

Do all cars have that addon switch board even if they didn't come with telephone capability?

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:
How did you do the aux input mate?


I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000


Awesome looks easy enough thanks! :)

Do all cars have that addon switch board even if they didn't come with telephone capability?


' nordwulf:
"This should work on all AS2 and AS3 head units MY98-05. Some older ones may have different boards and tape player inside but the main board should have the same connections.

I have been using it for a while now and still sounds fantastic." Quote from Saabworld'

I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm
Posts: 6247
Location: Wigan, Lancashire
Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
guffers158 wrote:
<snip>
I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.
But knowing Saab's reputation for being "different" not as unlikely as we'd wish. :roll:

_________________
Underskatt aldrig en gammal man med en gammal SAAB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
guffers158 wrote:
I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.


Yes very true, so judging by your photo did you opt to fit a female 3.5mm socket to the PCB rather than the male 3.5mm jack as seen in the guide?

That's what I'd think of doing too, because it seems less likely to get damaged and more versatile. If that's not what you did, do you envisage any problems doing what I suggested?

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 pm
Posts: 764
Location: Edinburgh
Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:
How did you do the aux input mate?


I soldered in an Aux to the telephone inputs. Its really clear. Really easy to use as well.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000


Absolute doddle and fires up "TELEPHONE" on the SID

_________________
Saab 9-5 2.3t Arc auto estate (Big Red)
Saab 9000 2.3 CDi S auto
Saab 9-5 2.0t Airflow
Lexus LS430


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 39385
Location: SW Herts
Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Is it in stereo?

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 am 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
I am led to believe that these connections are on the main board of the head unit and thus will have the correct connections on any Unit. Also as they are there on the main board I would assume they would be there on the other boards as well. It would be more costly of Saab to make 2 different types of PCB for telephone and non-telephone.


Yes very true, so judging by your photo did you opt to fit a female 3.5mm socket to the PCB rather than the male 3.5mm jack as seen in the guide?

That's what I'd think of doing too, because it seems less likely to get damaged and more versatile. If that's not what you did, do you envisage any problems doing what I suggested?


Yes I fitted a female socket as I wanted it to look as OEM as possible. So I drilled through the front of the stereo and placed it there so it looks original relatively. Plus it wouldn't be bouncing around and very unlikely to get damaged unlike the male counterparts.

sgould wrote:
Is it in stereo?


Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
guffers158 wrote:
Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.


How would you suggest doing the switch? Just any old SPST will do? Any recommendations for specific ones that might even fit into blanked switches on the dash?

Thanks again much appreciated! :)

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.


How would you suggest doing the switch? Just any old SPST will do? Any recommendations for specific ones that might even fit into blanked switches on the dash?

Thanks again much appreciated! :)


I just got a Single pole single throw switch from work. Looked like the one I've attached. I cut out one of the blanks on the left hand side of the steering wheel. Then popped it in. I did a bit of a butchery of it tbf. But if you take care it'll look really good. I didn't put it next to the seat heaters as I may get cooled seats at some point.


Attachments:
File comment: SPST switch
517ed955ce395f471d000000.png
517ed955ce395f471d000000.png [ 244.47 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
guffers158 wrote:
StatusRed wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Yes it's stereo. You solder in the Stereo cable to the left and the right and earth. I reckon its the best way to fit an AUX with good sound quality on the standard stereo. Had it like this for over a year now and its great. I also definitely recommend putting in a switch as it makes it a lot clearer than without.


How would you suggest doing the switch? Just any old SPST will do? Any recommendations for specific ones that might even fit into blanked switches on the dash?

Thanks again much appreciated! :)


I just got a Single pole single throw switch from work. Looked like the one I've attached. I cut out one of the blanks on the left hand side of the steering wheel. Then popped it in. I did a bit of a butchery of it tbf. But if you take care it'll look really good. I didn't put it next to the seat heaters as I may get cooled seats at some point.


Awesome thanks again! :)

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
Right, so I was driving to Kaliningrad to watch a couple of the world cup matches. We were going in my Saab.
1200 miles or so there and then the same back. Everything was going swimmingly until I got onto the Autobahn. Of course on the Autobahn I wanted to see what she could do. So wound her up got to about 150mph on the SatNav. I think the dials said about 158mph or something. I thought ye pretty good. I'm sure she has some more in her. Wound it up again and got to 250kmh/155mph. Woohoo well fast. Anyway was probably driving over 6000rpm for too long. Come off the power and I notice every time I put my foot down I can here a knocking. Pull into the nearest Services and as we pull in she completely dies. I wrestled it to a car parking space. Pulled up popped the bonnet and started her up again. All we can hear is a delightful knocking sound. I assumed it was the bottom end bearing or piston bearing. Luckily my dad has got great European breakdown cover with his bank. If the car is toast. They'll give us a hire car to our holiday and back from our holiday. The tow truck pulls up and we start it and the tow truck man gives us his 2 cents and says its a right off. He puts it on the lorry and begins to take us to a storage unit. I'm thinking "naa my saab isn't dead no way". I find a supposed Saab garage close by and we ring the RAC and ask them to make him take us there. After about 30 mins of driving we pull up to this garage and its like Saab Heaven in Germany. Every kind of saab lying all around the forecourt and the workshop. 9-5's, 9-3's, 9000's and special editions. We are lucky to of found this place! They even had the best condition Saab Viggen I've ever seen. 12000 euros for sale! We take my car off the Lorry and start it up. The mechanics agree that it is probably bottom end but they will take a look. The guys at the garage couldn't be anymore accommodating and they really know there stuff and really care about Saabs. They will try to do it as fast as possible and keep me updated when they have checked out the car. The hire car arrives and we are on our way.

The garage is troll cars Paderborn https://www.saab-zentrum-paderborn.de/

I am updated with WhatsApp messages of what they have done and what they are going to do.

engine removed
Image

Removed Crank shaft and pistons
Image

Pistons
Image

Damage to Piston bearing No.3
Image

Crankshaft. hmm shouldn't be a crack there
Image

Close up of crack
Image

Bearing bits in Oil pan
Image
Image

Cylinder head removed
Image

and then to top it all off my drivers side CV boot burst
Image
Image

What they are going to do is
-Crankshaft replaced with another used one
-Repair of shortblock with new main and conrod bearings.
-Pistons replaced with Forged Wossner as they are cheaper and better than standard.
-New valve gaskets
-Cylinder head gasket
-thermostat and waterpump replaced with new
-CV boot for right hand drive shaft.

Pics of New Pistons ooh shiny.
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 39385
Location: SW Herts
Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
That looks more serious than my German autobahn blow-up last month!! :shock:

I don't think I've seen a cracked crankshaft before.

but Wossners cheaper than Saab? Not really surprised, I supposed, but they could get you to 600hp now, ready for the way home!!

Mine was "just" a turbo...

Attachment:
P1020032.JPG
P1020032.JPG [ 112.2 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Last edited by sgould on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
They say constant speed over 6000 rpm isn't good. Woops. Turbo is all good! So is clutch and gearbox. So pretty much a full engine rebuild cool!
Damn turbo looks a bit pantsed!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
Right so all the work has been completed and I've driven it back to the UK and changed the Oil and Filter.
Just got another 500 miles to go till she's fully run in. Will change the Oil in about 1000miles again just to be sure.

Also fitted a magnetic titanium sump plug. Don't know if it will be any better or not but we will see.

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
So got home and it seams to be drinking coolant. The coolant smells of Petrol and the exhaust is puffing out white smoke. So I assume its a head Gasket. Bit Austin Allegro considering the whole engine has been rebuilt. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estate
guffers158 wrote:
So got home and it seams to be drinking coolant. The coolant smells of Petrol and the exhaust is puffing out white smoke. So I assume its a head Gasket. Bit Austin Allegro considering the whole engine has been rebuilt. :(


Oh poo what a shame! Is there a warranty on it from the rebuild people?

_________________
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate | Volvo S40 2.0i SE Lux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 9-5 Aero HOT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm
Posts: 63
Location: Cheltenham
Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
So ye leaking Coolant into the 3rd Cylinder. Wouldn't crank as its hydraulically locked .

Hmm shouldn't be blue in there
Image


Hm tasty spark plugs the order is wrong it goes 4, 3, 2, 1 >
Image

I've been speaking to the garage in Germany. There is 2 year warranty on all Saab parts. That's what they said originally. But as its been rebuilt should hopefully pay for the whole job. Bit pants if they don't as it was a full engine rebuild.


Last edited by guffers158 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB