UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activ
Attempted to fix the broken hinge on the glove box in the van (original one on the Merc T1 is a bendy plastic thing, they always break).

Initial attempt was unsuccessful. Will have another shot tomorrow...and see if I can get the bit from the dealer. I don't think so, as it's officially all part of the lid I believe...and judging from eBay is expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 pm 
Saab Nut

Have acquired a length of piano lid hinge...

This *can* allow me to repair the glovebox box. It however is going to involve a not insignificant amount of faff...so definitely will be swinging by the dealer before going any further down that road. For something so simple in construction (it's a bendy bit of plastic, nothing more) it's proving maddeningly annoying to try to fix.

Reckon one last approach I've not yet pondered is using something like a bit of canvas to bridge the gap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm 
Saab Nut

It's exactly the sort of hinge you see on things like socket set cases. Piano hinge is my planned repair (confirmed today that it's NLA from the dealer), and I've been pondering how to attach it to the lid, originally thinking very shallow nuts/bolts, before remembering I have a rivet gun in the garage...so I'll probably try riveting it together as that should fit in the available space.

Will probably add a check strap too so it doesn't put so much stress on that hinge in future (not that it's likely to be a problem once a metal hinge is there anyway).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:37 pm 
Saab Nut

Lada has apparently decided that I had too much free time and needed more to add to the to do list. The cooling fan lost interest in providing cooling while in traffic today. Mercifully the system is over engineered, so I had time to escape the queues before it made it past 2/3 on the gauge...however it's not going anywhere until I've had a chance to investigate.

...so the van will be on front line duty for the next few days it looks like!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Zelandeth wrote:
Lada has apparently decided that I had too much free time and needed more to add to the to do list. The cooling fan lost interest in providing cooling while in traffic today. Mercifully the system is over engineered, so I had time to escape the queues before it made it past 2/3 on the gauge...however it's not going anywhere until I've had a chance to investigate.

What's wrong with the Xantia??

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:26 pm 
Saab Nut

Shalien wrote:
Zelandeth wrote:

What's wrong with the Xantia??

One of the belt tensioners has gone wonky and it's shredded the belt as a result. Annoyingly everything feels just fine by hand, so I need to spend time working out what's actually playing up. The engine being as close as possible to the offside chassis rail and the hydraulic pump and A/C pipework being in that corner ensures access is as awkward as possible.

It's a simple enough problem - just requires time and energy to sort, which have been in short supply lately. I do keep toying with the idea of selling it too (not least because it's eye wateringly expensive to insure) though I know it's a near impossible car to replace. Oh...and is worth nothing because nobody is interested in old Citroens.

Seriously though...what do you replace a Xantia Activa with? It's just such an utterly uncompromisingly capable all rounder...I know that the moment I were to sell the thing I'd wind up kicking myself.

Not begrudging the belt issue - I've had it nearly a year and it's the first time it's missed a beat really save for a 25 year old air con pipe starting to degrade, despite being driven pretty enthusiastically a lot of the time - The handling and boost conspire to make a hooligan out of even the most sedate driver.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Nothing done to any of mine.

One of our neighbours looks to have a new motor. They've had a very well specced Kia Optima for a couple of years now, and me and my husband have had a pretty good chat about what would you get to upgrade from that. We've had a couple home as demonstrators and have always been hugely impressed with them (likewise the Stinger... especially in violently bright yellow).

Tesla Model S appeared in their driveway today.

Yep...we agreed that seems a reasonably logical progression.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Had a closer look at my options for the fuel tank on the Invacar. I had always thought that the tank looked like a glorified Jerry can. Quite how blatantly it *is* just a glorified Jerry can I never realised until I put the two next to each other.

Now...anyone know anyone at this end of the country who would likely be interested in actually making one for me, let me know. I'm getting fed up of companies not bothering to dignify my enquiries with a response.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:30 pm 
Saab Nut

Cleaned the windscreen in the Lada.

The joys of a car with a flat bonnet you can see. Driving into the sun when it's low in the sky you don't just get blasted by it directly, but also by the reflection off the bonnet.

I've found the badge on the steering wheel in the van likes catching the sun and trying to blind you too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm 
Saab Nut

Removed at user's request wrote:
Zelandeth wrote:
Had a closer look at my options for the fuel tank on the Invacar. I had always thought that the tank looked like a glorified Jerry can. Quite how blatantly it *is* just a glorified Jerry can I never realised until I put the two next to each other.

Now...anyone know anyone at this end of the country who would likely be interested in actually making one for me, let me know. I'm getting fed up of companies not bothering to dignify my enquiries with a response.

Possibly due to legalities if you mentioned its for an Invacar, said vehicle being known for bursting into flames of their own volition and technically all of them having been sent for destruction?

Haven't mentioned any specifics of what it's for, only the general dimensions of the tank and that it's for a vintage car being restored.

Not surprised they had a reputation for catching fire given the original fuel system lacked *any* hose clips. Everything is just a friction fit - and the fuel pump is directly above the offside exhaust downpipe, so any leak there is going to drop straight onto it. To be fair though, I don't think any glass fibre car from that era was exactly well reputed for fire safety.

Legally speaking they're simply considered the same as any other three wheeler (or "motor tricycle" on the V5), so there are no legal ramifications beyond that you'd expect of any vehicle from the era.

So long as it's sorted out properly the thing should be fine! After all, the vast majority of the bits it's built out of are shared with other cars. Rear suspension is Fiat 126, brakes are Reliant Robin, electrical system is all Lucas parts bin, engine is Steyer-Puch...you get the idea.

I have actually finally had one response as of yesterday, so fingers crossed might be getting somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Wasted an hour trying to unclog the windscreen washers in the van. Eventually traced to the hose being kinked right where it comes off the pump.

Sorted that out and suddenly the washers started working properly. Rookie mistake missing that.

Then discovered the offside front wheel of the Lada is wet. Looks like I'll be looking for a new brake caliper then...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm 
Saab Nut

Finally got a chance to look at the Activa to figure out why this is happening to the aux belt.

First suspect was either the idler or tensioner pulley having died...however they seem fine. Everything is rotating freely and smoothly and there's no play in anything. It also doesn't make sense taking into account the direction of belt travel...a stuffed tensioner would make the belt try to walk off the crankshaft pulley...not the hydraulic pump.

After a bit of head scratching however I've come up with a theory.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember being able to see a shiny edge on the crankshaft pulley originally.

It does look rather crusty too...

I *think* what's happened is that the bonded rubber bit has failed and the outer section has started to walk off towards the inboard side, pulling the belt with it. Hopefully finding a new pulley won't be too huge a headache.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm 
Saab Nut

I reckon it probably is...going to look the part number up tomorrow and hopefully confirm that.

I know it's been off pretty recently too, so shouldn't be too much of a pain to get off...will check when the timing belt is due as well as if I've got to take the pulley off I may as well do it too unless it's a ways off yet...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm 
Saab Nut

There definitely shouldn't be a step in my crankshaft pulley for the Xantia. Thankfully being shared with a plethora of other PSA vehicles it's not difficult to find. £65 has a Febi Bilstein on the way.

In case anyone is looking in future, the Citroen part no for this part is 0515H6.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm 
Saab Nut

The new crankshaft pulley for the Xantia arrived this morning. Comparing old and new it's pretty clear that the old one is well and truly knackered.

It's very clear that the outer edge has moved relative to the "hub" - the result of course being the belt being pulled out of line.

Swapping things out was literally a case of "de-tension belt, unbolt, remove pulley, put new pulley on, clean bolt, apply thread lock, tighten bolt, re-tension belt, tidy up."

Which was about the long and the short of it. It does appear to have resolved things for the most part. I've marked the pulley and bolt and will be keeping an eye on it to make sure it's staying bolted up before I put the wheel arch liner back in.

The oil leak - which looks massively worse here than it is - the car has never left so much as a single drip of oil where it's parked - is from the cam cover. I'll get it replaced at some point, though it's pretty well buried, so it may well be a while before it gets to the top of the to do list.

Tomorrow's task is probably going after this with a set of good quality hose clips.

I know that there's some air getting into the system, and the perpetual film of oil there tells me that one of the return hoses is weeping slightly...so hoping that going over things properly will resolve both of these issues.

Lastly I fixed this...

Which took me all of 30 seconds to get the screw out, remove dead battery, find replacement (2x CR2032) and put it back together again. So why on earth had I put it off since mid May when the remote stopped working?!?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Hard to believe I've had the Activa a year in a couple of weeks...

Means it's due a service though. So have picked up the prerequisite filters and oil. Will get the oil and filter done tomorrow, but did the air filter this afternoon.

Not by any means the worst I've seen, but was definitely due.

Also got a full fresh set of wipers as it was made abundantly clear the first time I used the windscreen washers yesterday that they were utterly shot. So fresh pair on the front, and the rear one pulled apart and rebuilt with a fresh blade (finding new wiper blades with the correct fitting is tricky).

Oil and filter tomorrow.

Also to be investigated tomorrow is the fact that the van has decided to start peeing fluid out of the clutch slave cylinder, so will need to get a new one of them ordered, on the plus side it's fine and easy to get to. There's also something squeaking up front at idle which is new...just going to cross my fingers it's not the alternator and investigate further tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm 
Saab Nut

Filled it up with fuel - £85 - ouch. That's why I usually don't let it get that low!

Other than that she's been busily helping me shuffle garden waste to the tip along with our rather ancient trailer.

You'd think that we would have made a dent in it having made five trips, nope...not a bit of it! This is going to take forever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Saab Nut

Hah! Was only a matter of time until it got noticed given the plate!

Yes, it does make you significantly more self conscious when driving when you have an easily remembered plate on the car! Especially when you mess something up. Parking tidily is my nemesis - in a car. I can park the van no problems at all, but the car always takes me a couple of tries.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 pm 
Saab Nut

The Lada has always in my ownership had an issue with the fact that you could only ever use the windscreen washers twice or three times before the whole system would clog up and need to be dismantled and declogged.

Main issue was slime growing in the tank.

It also had issues in that the lid had split (they all do that) which had left the pump dangling by its hoses.

So today took it out and gave it a thorough clean, while I was there I bolted the pump back onto it. The lid was reinforced by wrapping a cable tie around it, clamping it to the rim of the tank. It's not pretty but works.

Much cleaner...

...aaaand back in place.

Much better. Hopefully will be able to use the washers more than twice now, and have one less thing to worry about come MOT time...most importantly though it won't bug me every time I open the bonnet.

The obvious question looking at that photo though is "where has a large chunk of my coolant gone?"

...Guess that will be first on the list once this weekend's festivities are out of the way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:20 pm 
Saab Nut

With the knowledge that the Activa has a 300-ish mile trip tomorrow I wanted to give it a once over. Also wanted to finish the service I started the other day.

Okay...first off drain the oil, five minute job with no mess because I'm lazy and use a pump. Oil filter required 15 minutes of faffing around to get off simply because it's a royal pain to get at, even when you've already done it twice.

It would be easy if there wasn't a boost pipe in the way to the left and a million high pressure hydraulic lines to the right.

Once I convinced it to move it was a simple matter of spin it off, spill oil all over the front of the engine because it's mounted the wrong way up, and stick the new one on. Then fresh oil in, start up and check the level. Having measured what came out, this was where we were first try.

While I was in there I checked that the crankshaft pulley bolt hadn't unscrewed itself, it looked fine. So put the wheel arch liner back in.

While giving things a wipe down I spotted something that obviously wasn't as it should be...

So *that* would be why a little while ago I suddenly started to be able to hear the turbo wastegate going *pssschooo* on every gearchange.

Nothing for it with a trip halfway up the country the following day, pulled it off, got some good quality duct tape in there and wrapped some cable ties around it so the tape can't unravel.

Better solution would have been self amalgamating tape, but I couldn't find it. So duct tape it is. The hose has gone very hard, so replacement is probably the only long term solution. It's basically just a glorified elbow though, so I'm sure a silicone replacement could be sorted easily enough (as knowing PSA the original hose will be long since NLA).

Last task for the day was to clear the detritus out of the boot and to give the leather a quick skim over with the leather conditioner.

Looks better!

Really need some new floor mats in the front.

If I've got to spend several hours stuck in a queue on the M6, I may as well do it in a clean car interior that smells nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next