UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 114  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: .
TwyRob wrote:
Paul Taylor wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
installed a boost gauge in my diesel, also wired up a voltmeter to keep an eye on things

You know, i could have sworn there that you said you had a Diesel. Must be a typo... :P
He does indeed! A 2.2 no less. Not his only Saab though... He can fill you in.

yes indeed i do Sir Paul :) a 2.2 chain driven lump, like all good engines are ;) shes done me proud for the last god knows how long, takes untold over-revving, untold harsh cornering, untold total abuse, but you know what ? she is part of the family :) when i arrived in Hampshire this afternoon the poor thing groaned when i got out, shes had a very traumatic last 45,000k , endured some pretty harsh driving, in the snow, sun, rain, you name it shes been in it, it may not be a saab engine, may not be a saab chassis, but it was put together by the good people of trollhatten, the same people that for years put our bread and butter on a plate, allowing us to sample the delights of what can be done with ingenuity, brilliance, perfection and a lust for over engineering, long live SAAB, in this family anyway. BTW i washed her today :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: Estella. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Whipped some more bits from Parts Car.

I will have to find me 17mm socket if I am going to sell the parking sensor kit.

Dancing on a Highway Somewhere..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activ
Finally got a chance to look at the Activa to figure out why this is happening to the aux belt.

First suspect was either the idler or tensioner pulley having died...however they seem fine. Everything is rotating freely and smoothly and there's no play in anything. It also doesn't make sense taking into account the direction of belt travel...a stuffed tensioner would make the belt try to walk off the crankshaft pulley...not the hydraulic pump.

After a bit of head scratching however I've come up with a theory.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember being able to see a shiny edge on the crankshaft pulley originally.

It does look rather crusty too...

I *think* what's happened is that the bonded rubber bit has failed and the outer section has started to walk off towards the inboard side, pulling the belt with it. Hopefully finding a new pulley won't be too huge a headache.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:49 pm 
Zelandeth wrote:
Finally got a chance to look at the Activa to figure out why this is happening to the aux belt.

First suspect was either the idler or tensioner pulley having died...however they seem fine. Everything is rotating freely and smoothly and there's no play in anything. It also doesn't make sense taking into account the direction of belt travel...a stuffed tensioner would make the belt try to walk off the crankshaft pulley...not the hydraulic pump.

After a bit of head scratching however I've come up with a theory.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember being able to see a shiny edge on the crankshaft pulley originally.

It does look rather crusty too...

I *think* what's happened is that the bonded rubber bit has failed and the outer section has started to walk off towards the inboard side, pulling the belt with it. Hopefully finding a new pulley won't be too huge a headache.

Is the following the right part? -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xant ... :rk:6:pf:0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm 
Saab Nut

I reckon it probably is...going to look the part number up tomorrow and hopefully confirm that.

I know it's been off pretty recently too, so shouldn't be too much of a pain to get off...will check when the timing belt is due as well as if I've got to take the pulley off I may as well do it too unless it's a ways off yet...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm 
Active user

Car Model: OG 9-3 Aero
So, I finally fabsil'd the roof today. Should have done it last week but didn't get the mould out first time. Of course, the biblical rains came before I could get it done but it actually coped pretty well with only a couple of damp patches in the headlining and no wet seats. Pro tip, don't fabsil your roof under a tree, a vindictive pigeon will shap fell on it part way through. Guess how I learned that.

All this damp weather highlighted another fault, the heater wouldn't blow at the screen regardless of what setting it was on. A quick search of this place (via Google, I actually wanted to find the answer!) followed by calibrating the system and I can now see out of the windows again.

Things left to do include fixing the noisy interior temp sensor (I have two, both do my nut in), feed the leather, decide what to do with the stereo and change the oil & filter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm 
Saab Nut

There definitely shouldn't be a step in my crankshaft pulley for the Xantia. Thankfully being shared with a plethora of other PSA vehicles it's not difficult to find. £65 has a Febi Bilstein on the way.

In case anyone is looking in future, the Citroen part no for this part is 0515H6.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Replaced NSF window regulator on the Aero. Not a job for a rainy day but needs must.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:07 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
Replaced NSF window regulator on the Aero. Not a job for a rainy day but needs must.

job well done then :) coming along fine i reckon :) if we had more people like you then the SAAB world and the "normal" world, would be a darn site better :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Ongoing work on the 9-5 which I've been putting off ... started yesterday with replacing the rose bushes on the rear, suffice to say the upper ones were well and truly knackered. Here's the worst of the two:

followed by removal of the rear subframe and ARB, both of which are quite crusty so will need cleaning up and repainting ...

Today saw both the rear longitudinal links (swing arms) removed along with their bushes - using a puller kit which worked very well, once the outer diameter of the bush was reduced by hammering the edge of it inwards so the bigger adaptor on the puller then acted on the swing arm itself:

Followed by removal of the exhaust, rear arch liners and sill trims. Tomorrow will bring removal of the rear bumper and I'll then attack the rust with a power file, followed by kurust and once that's gone off some hammerite - possibly some lacquer too. The longitudinal arms and their body brackets will also need tarting up before refitting ... both rear arches don't currently have much in them:

... hopefully when it's all done it will stave off the worst of the rust until next year when I plan to attack it again, but properly this time - using proper rust treatment (bilt hamber de-ox), followed by Jotun Jotamastic 87, Gravitex plus then lacquer. I'd like to have it looking like Eselar's:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172541&start=0#p1637807

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

job well done then :) coming along fine i reckon :) if we had more people like you then the SAAB world and the "normal" world, would be a darn site better :)
Thanks mate, I'm touched! ;)

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

Thanks mate, I'm touched! ;)

you're a good lad, not many about to be fair, you are one of the best. get yourself up here and we can do whats needed on the vert, looking forward to it :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm 
Saab Nut

The new crankshaft pulley for the Xantia arrived this morning. Comparing old and new it's pretty clear that the old one is well and truly knackered.

It's very clear that the outer edge has moved relative to the "hub" - the result of course being the belt being pulled out of line.

Swapping things out was literally a case of "de-tension belt, unbolt, remove pulley, put new pulley on, clean bolt, apply thread lock, tighten bolt, re-tension belt, tidy up."

Which was about the long and the short of it. It does appear to have resolved things for the most part. I've marked the pulley and bolt and will be keeping an eye on it to make sure it's staying bolted up before I put the wheel arch liner back in.

The oil leak - which looks massively worse here than it is - the car has never left so much as a single drip of oil where it's parked - is from the cam cover. I'll get it replaced at some point, though it's pretty well buried, so it may well be a while before it gets to the top of the to do list.

Tomorrow's task is probably going after this with a set of good quality hose clips.

I know that there's some air getting into the system, and the perpetual film of oil there tells me that one of the return hoses is weeping slightly...so hoping that going over things properly will resolve both of these issues.

Lastly I fixed this...

Which took me all of 30 seconds to get the screw out, remove dead battery, find replacement (2x CR2032) and put it back together again. So why on earth had I put it off since mid May when the remote stopped working?!?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Hard to believe I've had the Activa a year in a couple of weeks...

Means it's due a service though. So have picked up the prerequisite filters and oil. Will get the oil and filter done tomorrow, but did the air filter this afternoon.

Not by any means the worst I've seen, but was definitely due.

Also got a full fresh set of wipers as it was made abundantly clear the first time I used the windscreen washers yesterday that they were utterly shot. So fresh pair on the front, and the rear one pulled apart and rebuilt with a fresh blade (finding new wiper blades with the correct fitting is tricky).

Oil and filter tomorrow.

Also to be investigated tomorrow is the fact that the van has decided to start peeing fluid out of the clutch slave cylinder, so will need to get a new one of them ordered, on the plus side it's fine and easy to get to. There's also something squeaking up front at idle which is new...just going to cross my fingers it's not the alternator and investigate further tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: Estella. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Done well today. Swapped tailgates over.

BEWARE. On the Dames, this is a massive job. You have to remove everything and feed the looms out of the hinge slots.

You could probably get away with leaving the lights, wiper motor and lock on. I wanted it to be as light as possible. Also, this way, I could have the pick of the bits! 8)

This is a three bod job when you come to the swap.

I have swapped Face Lift Tailgates over. I'm pretty sure that two bods managed it and we didn't have to remove the looms.

Dancing on a Highway Somewhere..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: A mix of this and that
Got this one running for the first time since 2011. Still plenty to do but it's worth saving.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
Today's job was attempting to fit a radio into the Sonett. The Sonett has the pre-din fitting where the knobs fit through the dash and support the front of the radio. Add to this the wiring for two Aux inputs, two USB sockets, microphone lead, DAB aerial as well as the standard aerial and an auto aerial control lead that was unheard of back in 1974 and you have a big job...

Assembled it looked like this...

But I then took it apart as it wouldn't fit. Then I realised that it was smaller than the original unit that I took out so it MUST fit. After some time and some expletives, I realised that the reason it wouldn't sit flush was the the siting brackets that stick out either side of the unit were fouling on the rear of the instrument pod on the left and on the clock on the right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Saturdays job was to replace the intake snorkel to the airbox. I found the large one from a turbo diseasel that I had previously had fitted to the auto saloon. I hadn't realised my Aero had a smaller one.

It took a few goes with oil pump pliers to break the grip of the old snorkel, and a little faff to work the new one into place. No real noticeable difference apart from a slightly deeper intake note (but not by a lot!).
Hopefully this will improve more once I finally get the king cobra fitted!

Sunday involved being a courier for bumpers part way from my folks to Adam and his dad Ken. A nicer pair of blokes you couldn't hope to meet. I look forward to seeing the results when they get painted and fitted to the car :corn:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
calam1ty wrote:
yes indeed i do Sir Paul :) a 2.2 chain driven lump, like all good engines are ;) shes done me proud for the last god knows how long, takes untold over-revving, untold harsh cornering, untold total abuse, but you know what ? she is part of the family :) when i arrived in Hampshire this afternoon the poor thing groaned when i got out, shes had a very traumatic last 45,000k , endured some pretty harsh driving, in the snow, sun, rain, you name it shes been in it, it may not be a saab engine, may not be a saab chassis, but it was put together by the good people of trollhatten, the same people that for years put our bread and butter on a plate, allowing us to sample the delights of what can be done with ingenuity, brilliance, perfection and a lust for over engineering, long live SAAB, in this family anyway. BTW i washed her today :)

Your 2.2 sounds as hard worked and generally abused as my OG93, still never misses a beat so long as regular servicing is attended to. What is your thinking on the boost gauge? Had one back in the day on my 9000 CSE & Aero, but I've always been led to believe they are slightly pointless on a diesel. Always interested to learn though! Where did you connect it to?

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm 
Saab Nut

Filled it up with fuel - £85 - ouch. That's why I usually don't let it get that low!

Other than that she's been busily helping me shuffle garden waste to the tip along with our rather ancient trailer.

You'd think that we would have made a dent in it having made five trips, nope...not a bit of it! This is going to take forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 114  Next