UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 105  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:33 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Technically little on a car is difficult, the biggest problem is usually access. If I could see the oil drain plug on my NG 9-5 I could remove it but I can't see it let alone touch it. The oil filter on the other hand is about as easy as they come. Open the bonnet, 32mm socket on a ratchet and turn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Collected the service kit from SAABits, from my local post office (following 3 failed deliveries as I forgot to tell Bill to send it to my work address :wall: ).

As for the car, just run it through the local IMO and a quick hoover before The Limes Meet tomorrow.

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
I did the reluctor ring on my black 9-5. I thought I may as well do the ball joint at the same time and discs and pads. I wish I hadn't. It has taken me all day to do the passenger side. I don't know why every nut and bolt is so corroded on this car but the angle grinder and blow torch has had a busy day, not to mention both number 1 and 2 persuaders.

And to make matters worse when I got the ball joint off it was actually in perfect working order.

One more step closer to the MOT for that car though. It is a spare so I haven't been rushing at it.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: Estella. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Got the chrome,foglights,xenon washers off the parts car today.

Them grilles are pesky things to get off. Especially in the cold rain that Swindon had this morning....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
Everything done on the car now, last jobs were handbrake adjustment and wiper blades.

Now with a couple of tyres added I am content to try this through an MOT. Hasn't had one in 4 years, the chap that donated it to me had just left it sitting on his driveway, if it passes it will be treated to a sump drop and CPV update.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 pm 
Luger Lout

Progressed along. You can see the results elsewhere on here.

After yesterdays big hit, I chilled a bit. Thought about a lot of stuff. Estella has now broken the bank as to how much I paid for her and how much I have paid to get her right.

Think purchase price and double it.

It's a good job that it didn't cost much to buy her! :D

Now, I have to turn my attention to Parts Car. She will offset expenses. I hope.

It's good to have two cars! Innit? Parts Car has donated many bits to Estella, I will have to add them up!

This will make me jolly happy!

:D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Anniversary
I took the 6 disc CD changer out the boot of the Aero.

Trying to retrieve the cassette which has got stuck and which will not withdraw the CDs back in to it... :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm 
Active user

Car Model: OG9-3 S Auto Convertible
Cleaned and treated the leather in my 9-3.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: .
TwyRob wrote:
Paul Taylor wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
installed a boost gauge in my diesel, also wired up a voltmeter to keep an eye on things

You know, i could have sworn there that you said you had a Diesel. Must be a typo... :P
He does indeed! A 2.2 no less. Not his only Saab though... He can fill you in.

yes indeed i do Sir Paul :) a 2.2 chain driven lump, like all good engines are ;) shes done me proud for the last god knows how long, takes untold over-revving, untold harsh cornering, untold total abuse, but you know what ? she is part of the family :) when i arrived in Hampshire this afternoon the poor thing groaned when i got out, shes had a very traumatic last 45,000k , endured some pretty harsh driving, in the snow, sun, rain, you name it shes been in it, it may not be a saab engine, may not be a saab chassis, but it was put together by the good people of trollhatten, the same people that for years put our bread and butter on a plate, allowing us to sample the delights of what can be done with ingenuity, brilliance, perfection and a lust for over engineering, long live SAAB, in this family anyway. BTW i washed her today :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm 
Luger Lout

Whipped some more bits from Parts Car.

I will have to find me 17mm socket if I am going to sell the parking sensor kit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:49 pm 
Zelandeth wrote:
Finally got a chance to look at the Activa to figure out why this is happening to the aux belt.

First suspect was either the idler or tensioner pulley having died...however they seem fine. Everything is rotating freely and smoothly and there's no play in anything. It also doesn't make sense taking into account the direction of belt travel...a stuffed tensioner would make the belt try to walk off the crankshaft pulley...not the hydraulic pump.

After a bit of head scratching however I've come up with a theory.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember being able to see a shiny edge on the crankshaft pulley originally.

It does look rather crusty too...

I *think* what's happened is that the bonded rubber bit has failed and the outer section has started to walk off towards the inboard side, pulling the belt with it. Hopefully finding a new pulley won't be too huge a headache.

Is the following the right part? -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xant ... :rk:6:pf:0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm 
Active user

Car Model: OG 9-3 Aero
So, I finally fabsil'd the roof today. Should have done it last week but didn't get the mould out first time. Of course, the biblical rains came before I could get it done but it actually coped pretty well with only a couple of damp patches in the headlining and no wet seats. Pro tip, don't fabsil your roof under a tree, a vindictive pigeon will shap fell on it part way through. Guess how I learned that.

All this damp weather highlighted another fault, the heater wouldn't blow at the screen regardless of what setting it was on. A quick search of this place (via Google, I actually wanted to find the answer!) followed by calibrating the system and I can now see out of the windows again.

Things left to do include fixing the noisy interior temp sensor (I have two, both do my nut in), feed the leather, decide what to do with the stereo and change the oil & filter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Replaced NSF window regulator on the Aero. Not a job for a rainy day but needs must.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:07 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
Replaced NSF window regulator on the Aero. Not a job for a rainy day but needs must.

job well done then :) coming along fine i reckon :) if we had more people like you then the SAAB world and the "normal" world, would be a darn site better :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Ongoing work on the 9-5 which I've been putting off ... started yesterday with replacing the rose bushes on the rear, suffice to say the upper ones were well and truly knackered. Here's the worst of the two:

followed by removal of the rear subframe and ARB, both of which are quite crusty so will need cleaning up and repainting ...

Today saw both the rear longitudinal links (swing arms) removed along with their bushes - using a puller kit which worked very well, once the outer diameter of the bush was reduced by hammering the edge of it inwards so the bigger adaptor on the puller then acted on the swing arm itself:

Followed by removal of the exhaust, rear arch liners and sill trims. Tomorrow will bring removal of the rear bumper and I'll then attack the rust with a power file, followed by kurust and once that's gone off some hammerite - possibly some lacquer too. The longitudinal arms and their body brackets will also need tarting up before refitting ... both rear arches don't currently have much in them:

... hopefully when it's all done it will stave off the worst of the rust until next year when I plan to attack it again, but properly this time - using proper rust treatment (bilt hamber de-ox), followed by Jotun Jotamastic 87, Gravitex plus then lacquer. I'd like to have it looking like Eselar's:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172541&start=0#p1637807

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

job well done then :) coming along fine i reckon :) if we had more people like you then the SAAB world and the "normal" world, would be a darn site better :)
Thanks mate, I'm touched! ;)

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

Thanks mate, I'm touched! ;)

you're a good lad, not many about to be fair, you are one of the best. get yourself up here and we can do whats needed on the vert, looking forward to it :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm 
Luger Lout

Done well today. Swapped tailgates over.

BEWARE. On the Dames, this is a massive job. You have to remove everything and feed the looms out of the hinge slots.

You could probably get away with leaving the lights, wiper motor and lock on. I wanted it to be as light as possible. Also, this way, I could have the pick of the bits! 8)

This is a three Человека job when you come to the swap.

I have swapped Face Lift Tailgates over. I'm pretty sure that two ''persons here present'' managed it and we didn't have to remove the looms.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: A mix of this and that
Got this one running for the first time since 2011. Still plenty to do but it's worth saving.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
Today's job was attempting to fit a radio into the Sonett. The Sonett has the pre-din fitting where the knobs fit through the dash and support the front of the radio. Add to this the wiring for two Aux inputs, two USB sockets, microphone lead, DAB aerial as well as the standard aerial and an auto aerial control lead that was unheard of back in 1974 and you have a big job...

Assembled it looked like this...

But I then took it apart as it wouldn't fit. Then I realised that it was smaller than the original unit that I took out so it MUST fit. After some time and some expletives, I realised that the reason it wouldn't sit flush was the the siting brackets that stick out either side of the unit were fouling on the rear of the instrument pod on the left and on the clock on the right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 105  Next