UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Lots of codes.....
Swirl pressure, lower than expected air mass pressure.....
Cleared and still seemingly running without a turbo.
Flap actuator working ok, so ordered the new bar, old one was lying there.....
Ordered a new MAF as well.

Worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:54 pm 
Saab Nut

Update:
After being told the car was “probably” beyond economical repair, I scratched my head a wee while, looked at lease cars, scratched my head a wee bit more, then ordered a swirl flap bar repair kit, the brass ones.
Cleaned the MAP as it was reasonably gunked up. Ran the car with my laptop reading via the ODBII port, MAF readings were seemingly normal, manifold pressure within norms, all other reading seemed ok.
Fitted the repair kit, cleaned the plastic area around each flap and sprayed some silicone to keep them moving well.
I’ve just taken it for a 30 min drive, dual carriage way etc. And.......full boost! Pulls really well.
Not 100% convinced yet, so will take it on an extended motorway run tomorrow.

Fingers crossed....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
Let us know how you get on. When I realised my swirl flap bar was just sitting there, I toiled with the idea of getting the repair kit you mentioned, but decided to go down the route of getting them blanked off.

How easy was it to fit? Will be interesting to see whether the repair remains in situ as it should. No doubt you'll be checking it every so often.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:33 am 
Saab Nut

I will be leaving the engine cover off for a while now. The brass connectors have a small rubber gasket built in, so connect tightly to the “bulbs” on the flaps. It sits tightly on the four, no wobble or movement like the plastic versions.
I did this on my last 9-3 and it lasted for over 40k without anymore trouble.
Considered the flap delete as well, it’s just the fuel pump work around that puts me off removing the manifold.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:38 am 
Saab Nut

In answer to how easy, takes 20 mins to hacksaw the plastic connectors off, they are so brittle after the heat of the engine. New ones fit into the original holes, small Allen key to tighten them in.
The hardest part is offering the bar back up to the manifold. Line the flaps on cylinders 1, 2 and 4 with the position of cylinder 3. I use a coat hanger wire and create a small hook on one end, this fits through the centre hole of the bar. Using this is offer it up to the connectors and then press down with a large flat blade screwdriver.
Check each one is secure and then start up. Monitor the first cycle of movement to check the security of the fittings.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:52 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Still all good?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:58 am 
Saab Nut

Thanks for asking James.
Local driving so far, and it feels great, picks up really well and drives as it should.
Doing a run to Shropshire in an hour or so, M6/M54/A5, so time to see how the works under load and heat.

If it were a terminal fault, as was prescribed by the garage, I’m convinced it would still be running badly. So I’m hopeful.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:35 pm 
Saab Nut

Well, so far so good.
120 miles today, booted it, took it slow, high revs, laboured in high gear....tried all the possible engine load scenarios and it feels good.
No hesitation or lacking in power. Fuel economy is as it should be.

I’m doing the Uni run for my eldest on Sunday, Midlands to Bath to Devon and then back. I will be happy when I get home after that run.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 pm 
Saab Nut

Swirl flap bar still firmly in place after 300 miles and a week. Hooked the ODB2 and laptop up and the MAP readings are consistent and as expected.

Big run on Sunday to finally test it, 450 miles, if it is still running well after this I am a very happy bunny indeed.

ImageIMG_2888 by wynne1971, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2887 by wynne1971, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 pm 
Saab Nut

I’ve certainly given the car a good test today, and all seems well.
Fully loaded with two grown up sons and all of the contents of the eldest son’s uni room.
A proper test then.
Hopefully that’s the issue sorted for now. Still slightly paranoid and listening out for imaginary stutters or flat spots, but I’m just being overly worried.
Fingers crossed the old girl lives for a while longer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:42 pm 
Saab Nut

See what I mean about fully loaded?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:58 pm 
Saab Nut

I've just put £90.38 worth of diesel in the car. Ouch. 68.09 litres of the stuff, no wonder the car was demanding "Refuel Now" on the way over to the Shell garage. 72 litre tank, so I was ok for a while, probably.....

Oddly, the car sits on the drive and has a slight rear down slope. so probably making the gauge read slightly under. But when I went to start the car (before going to the garage) I let the glow plug light go out, then listened to the fuel pump. It sounded really sluggish, like it was struggling to find and pressure. The car then turned over for a good few seconds before firing into life. I'm hoping this was a lack of fuel issue rather than a failing pump.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I've also heard my pump like that when close to empty. As a general rule I try not to run the tank too empty because I don't want to ever damage the pump by inadvertently running out of fuel - I know not relevant to this, but I've heard it said that on the petrol 9-5s, the fuel helps to keep the pump "flower pot" cool, so constantly running it on fumes can catalyse the failure process.

Keep on trucking!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Saab Nut

It has been fine today, so must have been a pressure and low fuel issue.
Nearly four litres left in there, loads left....maybe. I don’t usually leave it until the car demands to be refuelled, and certainly won’t again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
Saab Nut

Amazing what paying so much for fuel can do to my right foot...

ImageIMG_2943 by wynne1971, on Flickr

The upgraded swirl flap bar has also added to the better fuel economy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm 
Saab Nut

After 1500 miles of driving sedately the car has felt rather sluggish in 1st/2nd. So have the car an Italian tune all the way to Kettering and back today. All cleared out and back to full responsiveness again. I do like a fun and free fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 pm 
Saab Nut

So six weeks and nearly 2k miles later and the CEL and limo mode are back.
Oddly on the same stretch of the A14.....! Overtaking a line of HGVs up an incline, 70mph and the light pops up, power drops. Struggled to get past the first wagon, Audi behind was practically in my boot... Speed dropped to 55mph even when dropping to 4th.
Was just about drive able on the flat and down hills, struggled up any sort of incline.
Carried on as it was 8:30pm and light traffic. Back up the M6 through the road works, kept it in 4th at 50mph to keep the revs up, thinking possible DPF.
Got back home, approx 55 miles. Wouldn’t rev over 3k even when stationary.
Stopped at the chippy, jumped back in after 5 mins and it is back to full power. CEL still on.
Will read the codes in the morning and see what to do next.
Last time it did this it didn’t return to full power/boost after turning off, so maybe something else. Or maybe a major component on the way out and I’d just lengthened the time frame with the swirl flap bar mod.
Oh, and the drivers seat belt has stopped retracting. The car is beginning to test me again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Shame to hear that the niggles are coming back - thought you'd stuck it lucky with your relatively thrifty repair!

Not sure at the moment if this is relevant to the fault you're seeing, but with TechII it is possible to force the car to do a DPF generation. Basically it sits there revving it's t!ts off for about 15 minutes whilst showing you some progress bar and exhaust temperatures. From memory it was something ridiculous like 800 or 900°C on mine. Not saying this will sort it - on mine this basically bought me another 2 / 3 months before I lost patience and gave the DPF some more serious attention!

I wonder if yours is actually in limp mode or not...

Fingers crossed it's something relatively easily like a split IC or hose perhaps. Let us know what happens!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:23 am 
Saab Nut

Well that was interesting.
The only code showing was P1901, general code for DPF pressure issues. As I can’t see the sub codes on my reader, could be anything from a blocked DPF to a sensor or pressure issue.
Took the engine cover off, the swirl bar was still connected to pistons 1, 2 and 3, but number four was off. Oddly the connector had actually popped out of the swirl flap recess:

After much fiddling and an attack from a rogue wasp, I made a tool to refit this. Couldn’t get to it with my hands, and trying to connect it up still attached to the bar was not happening. So made this:

Hooked that into the nipple of the black plastic and refitted. I was worried that I could fit it 180 degrees the wrong way, leaving three flaps open and one closed, but there is a recess on one side to make it fit correctly.
All attached back, cleared the codes and went for a drive.
20 miles, perfect. Power in revs, low end grunt good.
Pulled on the drive and the CEL came back on. Same P1901 code. Bar is still in place, so looks to be DPF related.

Need it plugged in I suppose. Forced regen as the way forward as if it’s blocked it won’t do it automatically.

Annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Give the guys at Malcolm Miles a call!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next