UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:07 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Well, that's a years MOT on it. Passed with no advisorys. Delighted! The MOT tester was full of praise for the car too.
Now to drive and enjoy it (and fix the niggling little issues that will inevitably start appearing - firstly the fact the heater valve is on full heat all the time)!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
Result !
:P :wink:

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm 
Active user

Well, to pretty much wind this thread up I thought I would post my 'best' 3 pics of the completed car, and a little walk around video. I spent some time fixing the last of the minor bugs with the car today and am happy to say that it is as close to perfect as it ever will be. It's not officially 'on the road' yet, I'm going to tax it on 1st July, but after that it will be my daily driver for the summer. I'm not sure what the future for the car will be as I currently have 6 cars and barely get the chance to drive any of them as it is, but I intend to rack up a good few thousand miles on this one in the coming months!

https://youtu.be/8wtciDLVscw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
Great stuff Angus, enjoy. 8) :P

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Great job Angus, don't forget a nice uks calendar pic...
Enjoy it while you can..

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 estate 900 8v 95 van
Cracking job Angus. Given the geography I’m unlikely to see it in the flesh but enjoy the fruits of your hard work. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:57 pm 
Active user

Thought I would add a little update. I've driven over 1000 miles in the last 18 days since the car went back on the road and enjoyed every one of them, and had great fun exploring some remote spots in the Highlands! I had a few niggles to sort out, the biggest being a leaking fuel injector which was causing bad starting, rough idle and smoke on deceleration, so it was replaced, and I also did a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the car. I replaced the standard exhaust system with a full 3" from downpipe back 'JT' system, set the boost pressure to 1 bar max and fitted an upgraded 'rising rate' fuel pressure regulator set at 3.3 bar. I had previously modified the ignition 'advance / retard' diaphragm so the car runs 23° with no boost and 10° when under full boost. The car is only run on Super Unleaded at these settings and i can adjust the timing with my strobe and a spanner quite quickly if required. So, the car is in my mind in a nice state of tune, not over the top, probably around the 200bhp mark so hopefully not going to over strain the gearbox etc. The 9000 clutch (240mm) is absolutely brilliant, not a hint of slippage and it has a nice light feel to it. I also fitted a short shifter which gives really solid and positive gear changes. The last thing to get done is a wheel alignment just to make sure everything is straight, I also intend to visit a tuning place in Inverness at some point for a dyno run to see what the power figures actually are, but not sure when I will get the time to do that.

I recorded some fuel economy figures roughly each time I filled the car up. I generally went 200 miles (1/2 a tank) between top-ups. The worst I saw was 28mpg which was over a period of very spirited driving with no attempt to be economical. On the others the average was 33mpg (mixed driving) and on the last one where I was deliberately being quite economical the car averaged 38mpg, but that also included a fair bit of short journeys / hilly terrain etc. Personally I'm quite impressed with these figures as I was kind of expecting to see an overall average of 25mpg, so to see 38 at best is quite something really.

Here's a few pics:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1992 SAAB 900S three door.
Incredible work done here Angus, now enjoy every minute of it :wink:
Stephen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 am 
Active user

Car Model: Viggen
Said it already, stunning and great job

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:07 pm 
Active user

SAABARAMA 900 wrote:
Incredible work done here Angus, now enjoy every minute of it :wink:
Stephen.

Very kind! Thank you! I can definitely say I am enjoying it, close to 2000 miles in 1 month since back on the road :) The only thing I am going to change (or modify) is the JT 3" exhaust, it's simply too loud and droney at 2000rpm which is typically the most consistent cruising rpm of the vehicle. I'm going to start by fitting a 'DB Killer' baffle shoved up the tailpipe and bolted in place in the hope it kills the drone, otherwise I'm going to think about making my own exhaust system up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:07 pm 
Active user

Donnie wrote:
Said it already, stunning and great job

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:14 pm 
Active user

Another little update. Made a couple of mods to the car. First one was to fit the front anti-roll bar. The reason I had omitted the ARB when doing this build is that I had read a lot of very positive reports from Saab forums of people who had removed the front ARB and reported much sharper and improved handling with better turn-in etc. Well, that was not my experience, all I found was excessive lean and some body roll when pushing the car hard round the twisties. This car has Kilen sport springs, Bilstien HD shocks, full Powerflex poly bushes all round and slightly negative front camber from standard so the handling should have been really impressive. I'm not sure where the forum people decided that removing the front ARB would be an improvement (on track maybe?), but now I have re-fitted mine I can definitely say that on the road there is substantial and noticeable improvements in grip, so lesson learned there!

Next thing that had been 'grinding my gears' (not literally ) was the excessive volume and drone (especially around 2000rpm) of the 3" full 'JT' exhaust system I fitted a few weeks back. I loved the noise of the system it had an excellent 'unequal headers / Scooby' sound and lots of popping and rumbles when decelerating etc, and on full chat sounded very NASCAR, but sadly it was killing my ears, so something had to be done. Looking at the exhaust there was no way I could add any extra silencers and replacing the standard single mid silencer in the system would have been a major headache so I thought I’d give a ‘DB Killer’ baffle insert a go. As you can see from the pic this is simply a baffle plate with a perforated silencer that is designed to insert in to a correspondingly sized tailpipe or backbox. I fitted it by removing my fancy tailpipe and welding it as far inside as possible. Nice easy job. I could have drilled holes and bolted it in place but glad I went for weld in the end as it will definitely be staying on the car. Anyway, the results were perfect. Idle noise is probably 50% of previous as is most of the way through the rev band, but at high revs or high boost all of the original sound is there, just at a lower volume. The drone around 1800rpm is still there, but it’s much more bearable than before. So, for the first time since fitting this exhaust I can now happily listen to the stereo (couldn’t before, it was drowned out!) and my ears no longer throb when exiting the vehicle. Finally, I would say that there is no noticeable difference in performance even though I was expecting there to be, so in my mind it’s a total success.

Here’s some pics. I also uploaded a video of the engine being revved after the baffle was in place, unfortunately I don’t have any video before the mod but it simply sounded the same but a lot louder!

https://youtu.be/5Xr-M5-Z7JQ

https://youtu.be/ThVULKJ48MI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Sound :lol:

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

It's turned out very nice, Angus. Every modified car is different, of course, but I'm really surprised that you found no benefit through removing the front ARB. It made a very positive difference on my T16S with Kilens and B6 shocks. This was on real roads, albeit that Kilens are only any good on fairly smooth roads in my experience. The only other difference between our cars that I can think of is that mine sits on 15" wheels.

I found my car had *more* front-end grip without the front ARB.

Clearly, fitting the front ARB improved the handling on yours so I'm a bit puzzled as to why our experiences have been so different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:41 pm 
Active user

BillJ wrote:
It's turned out very nice, Angus. Every modified car is different, of course, but I'm really surprised that you found no benefit through removing the front ARB. It made a very positive difference on my T16S with Kilens and B6 shocks. This was on real roads, albeit that Kilens are only any good on fairly smooth roads in my experience. The only other difference between our cars that I can think of is that mine sits on 15" wheels.

I found my car had *more* front-end grip without the front ARB.

Clearly, fitting the front ARB improved the handling on yours so I'm a bit puzzled as to why our experiences have been so different.

Yeah, it could be wheels and tyres, I am running 215/40 17 (4cm sidewall) on this car so substantially lower profile than the 15" standard tyres 195/60 15 (6cm sidewall). I have to defintely say that the car 'leaned' more at the front without the bar and this gave an uncomfortable sensation when pushing it hard. The roll without the bar was minimal but I think the 'lean' gave more of an impression of losing grip and caused a lack of confidence when pushing it. Kind of hard to explain, but with the bar fitted the 'lean' is virtually gone and cornering feels tremendously flat, level and controlled. I know I have a couple of degrees negative camber on the front - I added (or was it removed, can't remember now) a shim of the same thickness on each side when I re-fitted the front upper arms during the re-furb and had the camber checked just after putting the car back on the road and the camber was equally negative on each side. Perhaps this negative camber is improved or not with the fitting of an anti-roll bar. I don't know, but for now I am definitely keeping the bar on. The only other diference is the poly bushes. The ride on this car is excessively rigid and quite harsh due to the bushes, but the lack of flex should make the handling a lot crisper, so perhaps everything combined is complimented with the anti-roll bar. If I lived close to you I would happily let you have a shot of the car to see what you thought yourself, and I would be surprised if you were not impressed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18