UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:19 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
Fantastic work Angus !
I'm jealous, if only my C900 looked half as good as yours :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
Ever closer!! Nifty place to put front speakers, never considered that, they sound any better there or have you took a chance :lol:

Way down the road now and not sure if you brought it up but the spark plug cover made me think if you ever thought of a T5 conversion, something I'd like to do.... at some point :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Jaguar XF & Fiat 500
Looking very nice now 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Webby wrote:
Fantastic work Angus !
I'm jealous, if only my C900 looked half as good as yours :mrgreen:

Thank you very much. It's been a long slog but so nice to see it almost completed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 pm 
Active user

Toe wrote:
Ever closer!! Nifty place to put front speakers, never considered that, they sound any better there or have you took a chance :lol:

Way down the road now and not sure if you brought it up but the spark plug cover made me think if you ever thought of a T5 conversion, something I'd like to do.... at some point :roll:

The panel with the speakers was from the black 900 I had in the late 1990's. When I scrapped that car, I removed most of the interior and indeed much of it, and many of the exterior parts are now fitted to this car! The extra speakers work brilliantly there, indeed Saab should really have put a set in there from the factory seeing as they fit so perfectly, also interestingly there was a hole already there in the foam moulding to run the speaker cables (after the hole for the speakers was cut)!!

A T5 conversion is definitely something I considered for this car (and even more so on my convertible), BUT, and this is probably a controversial point to some, BUT, in my opinion a well maintained, good running Lucas car with a few mods (decent exhaust, intake, intercooler, increased timing, good fuel, RRFPR and the vacuum / boost retard device modified) produces an excellent car that is at the limit of what the gearbox can take. That is the set up I have on my convertible and it truly is a beast, but it also has a hybrid turbo and tubular manifold too! I do however like the idea of better starting, smoother idle, smoother revving and better fuel economy with the T5, but it's a lot of work and cost to go to, to get it working correctly and realistically for very little benefit. I'm not saying I would never do it, but it's not high up on my list.

Here's a pic of my convertible engine bay with the above mentioned mods. Oh, It also had a ported / polished 2.3T head and ported polished manifolds as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:32 pm 
Active user

Espin99 wrote:
Looking very nice now 8)

Cheers! I got a few hours in the shed today and got the seats out of storage - thankfully they were still in great condition with very little sign of mouse nibbling! I got them cleaned and put 3 courses of leather conditioner in to them today and will do another 3 next time I get over to the shed. I also got the boot floor fitted and fitted the parcel shelf, connecting up the extra speakers attached to that. Unfortunately I forgot the camera today, but my next update should realistically be a completed interior with everything fitted. When that's done I will spend some time ironing out my small list of issues that exist with the car and hopefully soon after will get it insured and off for an MOT! Exciting times :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:27 pm 
Active user

Well, to all intents and purposes this project is finally completed! There is a list of final tweaks and small alterations to be done, also a day to be spent getting the paintwork tip top, but realistically the car is now ready for the road!

Today I gave all the interior carpets a very thorough wet wash and clean with my VAX and I was very impressed with the amount of dirt that came out and the quality of the end product. After lunch I fitted the rear seats then swapped the seat wiring looms and seatbelt clips over from the original front seats to the leather ones and fitted them. Finally, I wired in and fitted the 3 extra gauges to the centre console. These are Lucas gauges, not VDO as I incorrectly mentioned in my previous post, but they are basically the same. Anyway, after some final tweaking and a short test drive I got some snaps taken with the car out in sunlight.

So, apart from the final tweaking mentioned above, the car is basically done! It’s very satisfying and a big relief, and I can’t wait to get it on the road for summer. I’m not going to MOT it until I get everything tip top and I need to give it a service to change the ‘running-in oil’ that is in the car and a few other things.

I will still post updates to the work I do and I plan to do a proper photoshoot after the paintwork has 100% been perfected with wet sanding and polishing, so keep watching the post for updates, and thanks to everyone who has followed this since the beginning!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:21 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
Fantastic work Angus !
I can't wait to see it on the road, it has to be one of the nicest C900 in the country.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 am 
Active user

Webby wrote:
Fantastic work Angus !
I can't wait to see it on the road, it has to be one of the nicest C900 in the country.

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 pm 
Active user

Quick update. Not really done anything with the Saab since my last post on here as have been busy with other things and had almost zero free time, but during tidying up my shed I found a long lost rear screen louvre which I cleaned up and test fitted to the car. I must say that I quite like it, so I intend to paint it gloss black to match the black on the car and fit it!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:21 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Oh yeah, get it on..
If you find one in there for a 2 door let me know :lol:

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:18 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Jaguar XF & Fiat 500
Looking the business now 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:25 am 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
Oh yeah, get it on..
If you find one in there for a 2 door let me know :lol:

Unfortunately it's just this one! I knew I had it somewhere, but forgot where I had buried it in the shed many years ago! Quite a satisfying find as I thought it was damaged but it turned out to be perfect :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am 
Active user

Espin99 wrote:
Looking the business now 8)

Thanks very much. I've still got the final paintwork 'correction' to do but that combined with this louvre should make it look the part!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:14 pm 
Active user

Thought I would put a couple of pics up of the car as it was outside today after getting it's pre MOT service. I did a general check over and an oil and filter change and I also changed the fuel filter too just for good measure. I had hoped the car would of been on the road weeks ago but as usual other stuff keet coming up and the Saab goes on the back burner again, but fingers crossed if I get time it will be getting the MOT done in the next week or so. Prior to that I want to get the final paintwork correction done (much of the car is still as it was sprayed and needs a bit of de-nibbing / flatting) but other than that it's pretty much done. I didn't get a chance to paint the louvre yet, but no rush for that really. Anyway, I though it looked pretty nice outside in the sun today so here are a few pics!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm 
Active user

Well, managed to find some time over the past few days to get the paint correction done. To sum up, there was quite a few dust nibs and some mild orange peel on the rear side panels and quite a few dust nibs on the doors, front wings and bonnet. These issues should have been dealt with soon after the time of painting the car (years ago now!) but due to lack of experience and knowledge on the subject of sanding and polishing at the time I didnt realise how much easier it would be to do this work with the panels either off the car, or the car still in masking after paint! Anyway, doing this work on a fully assembled vehicle is more time consuming and harder to do as you need to work around all of the trims, bumpers and other panels that are now on the car, however, with good masking and a lot of care and attention the result should be just about as good.
So, the process I did was to mask everything off that I either wanted to protect from sanding marks or polish splatter - so the roof, tailgate, engine bay and around the edge of all trims. I added some more tape along door edges and hard edges in doors etc and set about the car firstly with 1500 Grit G-Sand Farecla discs dry on my air powered DA sander. I gave a very brief flatting to any areas which had noticeable orange peel taking care to keep wiping any dust from the panels and the sanding disc to check progress - I didn't want to burn through and risk re-painting at this stage!! When the peel was visibly gone using the 1500 dry I cleaned everything off and moved on to the Mirka Abralon 2000 grit discs, again dry. I sanded all panels again until I was left with a nice equal haze everywhere. Finally I polished the panels up with my electric orbital polisher using an 8" Farecla wool pad and 3M Fast cut compound followed by Sponge pads with the same compound, then finally my DA polisher with Farecla G10 finishing compound. I ended the process by applying a good coat of wax and finally giving the car a good wash to remove as much of the polish splatter as I could.
The pictures below show the car at the 2000 grit stage and the completed stage.
I am very happy with the results, ust a shame it was raining today as I would have prefered to have taken the finished pictures in sunlight.
For info, this whole process only took about 6 hours, just to give an idea of start to finish time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 T16 2dr
Looking good Angus,well done, will you manage any car shows with it this summer?
Ian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 pm 
Active user

Ian Law senior wrote:
Looking good Angus,well done, will you manage any car shows with it this summer?
Ian

Hi Ian, good to hear from you! Sadly I am going to be too busy this year, which is annoying, but next year I will be blocking some days off during the summer to hopefully attend a couple. How about yourself, are you going to a few?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:16 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 T16 2dr
Oh that’s a pity , I have cut back on the shows this year , I’ve been to two and have another three booked , Oldmeldrum, Brodie and the Buckie classic car show. I’ve moved house so been busy doing it up , also you get a bit fed up hanging around all day at the shows after you have done them for a few years . Oh well I will look forward to seeing you and your lovely Saab next year Angus .
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
Looking good 8)

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next