UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:01 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
Ha yeah it took me a while to figure out only one fog light is wired up, never come across anything like this before......

Can see what you're getting at with the ride height though to be fair when you fill up the interior I'd expect it to drop a bit, all yours is at the moment is a nicely painted track car haha... Nice to see it out in the air stretching it's legs and if your list of niggles is that small then you've done well, no doubt my list would be the other way round, what went well would've been easier to list!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Toe wrote:
Ha yeah it took me a while to figure out only one fog light is wired up, never come across anything like this before......

Can see what you're getting at with the ride height though to be fair when you fill up the interior I'd expect it to drop a bit, all yours is at the moment is a nicely painted track car haha... Nice to see it out in the air stretching it's legs and if your list of niggles is that small then you've done well, no doubt my list would be the other way round, what went well would've been easier to list!

Ha ha, thanks! Yes, can't complain really and I suppose I should have mentioned in the previous post that I had sprayed a hose at the car for 20 minutes around the front and rear screens and not a drop of water went past the seals, so that was quite a relief too as no sealant was used when I fitted them. I can't say the same for the brand new lower seal on the passenger door glass though, a fair flood passed it, but it is probably due to the fact that I have not opened or closed the windows since fitting the new seals, so they're not bedded in properly yet.

The strange thing with the rear fog light thing was that I was 100% convinced that the passenger side one was working previously, so when I stripped it down and saw there was no live wire going to that bulb I thought I was losing the plot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:21 am 
Active user

Car Model: Viggen
Got to smile every time you add an update, what a standard of workmanship and nice to see it outside in all her glory

Will hopefully see it at a show or on the road sometime as it’s a one of a kind

Keep up the good work and updates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 pm 
Active user

Donnie wrote:
Got to smile every time you add an update, what a standard of workmanship and nice to see it outside in all her glory

Will hopefully see it at a show or on the road sometime as it’s a one of a kind

Keep up the good work and updates

Thanks again! It's appreciated.
I have a few updates but been very busy recently so not had a lot of spare time, however I managed to get the re-trimming done on all of the interior cloth-work. Everything is now covered in a black alcantara material. Not an easy job, especially with the material I chose as it was quite thick and not very flexible when being glued to the many contoured parts of the trim, but the end result was pretty good, a few crease marks here and there, but not too bad. Tomorrow I hope to find some time to get the interior back in the car and I will grab my camera then to get some pics uploaded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:32 pm 
Active user

Pics of the roof lining installed. Not perfect but pretty close, so I'm happy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
That's cool................

:envy:

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 am 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
That's cool................

:envy:

Thanks! It turned out better than I expected and I was quite happy that I had left the roof trim pieces in the cream colour - I had initially thought of painting them all in black, but I reckon that would have been overkill.

If I get a chance to get over to the car this weekend I might try to get the dash back in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:10 pm 
Active user

Well, it's been slow progress since my last update, I have been busy with other things, but today I had a few hours so got the sunroof cover re assembled and fitted to the car. This was a far from easy task and I spent almost 5 hours at it in total, assembling, fitting, removing, adjusting, fitting, removing, adjusting etc until I finally got it nice and central and able to be closed all the way forward! Very frustrating, but in the end I was happy. For info, initially I had the inner part of the sunroof (the sliding part) misaligned and the guide rails too loose etc. If I did the job again I would not make the same errors, but I guess this is all part of the fun of learning :)
At the end of today I moved the car outside (in torrential rain and a Northerly gale) and took it for another short drive. All was good on the drive so I parked it up and gave it a good hosing down to remove the road dirt and also to check the sunroof and other seals were good - I'm happy to say that there are no leaks anywhere which is good because it now means that I can move the car outside whenever I want to now, for the first time since I started this project over 5 years ago!!!!
Here's some pics:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
There are times I'm sure I'll be going to Hell. But not for "coveting your neighbours Saab" as that's not in The Book and I really do covet your Saab.

Stunning stuff :envy:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:56 pm 
Active user

DeeDub8 wrote:
There are times I'm sure I'll be going to Hell. But not for "coveting your neighbours Saab" as that's not in The Book and I really do covet your Saab.

Stunning stuff :envy:

Ha ha, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:34 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
Looks great Angus, lovely to see the water beading and all of it on the outside, none on the inside!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:38 pm 
Active user

ianlaw wrote:
Looks great Angus, lovely to see the water beading and all of it on the outside, none on the inside!

Thank you! Yes, I have to say it was a great relief not to be chasing down multiple water leaks as I was especially doubtful about the seal on the sunroof after all the trouble I had getting it to close properly, but happy to say its nice and dry in the car!

Last edited by Angus on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:56 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
8) 8)

Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 pm 
Active user

Espin99 wrote:
8) 8)

Very nice.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:15 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Looks great Angus, even out in the rain...
5 years well spend..
Great job..
Get some 2020 uksaabs calendar pics mind..

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 am 

Car Model: 900 T16s 2 door
You have done a fantastic job on this car,it looks stunning 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 am 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
Looks great Angus, even out in the rain...
5 years well spend..
Great job..
Get some 2020 uksaabs calendar pics mind..

Thanks! I'll get some nice sunny day shots when the cars fully complete and post them up. The paint has a lot of glitter and looks impressive in bright light!
Really close to complete now, just got to finish fitting the interior and make a final decision on seats as I have a few options there, but I think that at this point in time almost everything going back in the car is ready, ie not needing any more repair or maintenance. I then need to deal with the 'niggles' and small adjustments to things and she will be good to go!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:05 am 
Active user

turbo5553 wrote:
You have done a fantastic job on this car,it looks stunning 8)

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:27 pm 
Active user

Another little update. Again, I have been busy with normal work and other things but since the last update I have managed to re-assemble the front door cards and fit them, fit the under carpets / sound deadening and upper carpets, then I got on with re-installing the upper part of the dashboard and today I got the lower panel installed. I wired in some new cables for the stereo system I will be fitting (Blaupunkt SD card system) and added some new speaker cables and new front speakers etc. During this process I also connected up the 3 x VDO gauges I have (oil pressure, battery voltage and boost pressure) to re-test them and I had to add some extra wires there for lighting etc. At this point everything electrical is working well apart from the drivers side electric mirror, but I am 99% sure that the mirror motor is to blame so I will check that out soon.
Even though the above does not sound like much it has been quite time consuming and frustrating work. Installing freshly refinished interior plastic parts is moderately stressful and way more time consuming than if the parts could be treated a little rougher, as it is very difficult flexing everything in to place without damaging the 'finish', but at least its finally getting there.
I haven't been taking many pics of this work, but here are the few I have done: One shows the new front speakers vs the old ones that were well decayed!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:07 pm 
Active user

Latest update: Added some sound deadening to the rear wheel arch area then stripped and cleaned all 5 seatbelts before installing in the car, then fitted the wiper arms and new blades and finally refitted the remaining interior trim panels. I also added some extra wiring for some additional rear speakers that will live on the parcel shelf and fitted the spark plug cover to the engine - it was sand blasted and painted satin black.
Next step - thoroughly clean the carpets, hopefully I will be able to use my carpet cleaning machine and give everything a good wet clean, then I will need to bring the seats I have out of storage and see what work they will need before fitting - they have sat under dust sheets for around 5 years so i can only hope the mice have not been nibbling at / nesting in them! I know that the rear bench will need modification to it's wooden lower base as it came out of a 5 door car and the 3 door base is much narrower, so there will be some joinery and re-trimming required there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next