UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC



Forum rules


When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.


Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm
Posts: 3060
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: NG 9-5 Aero TTid 2011
Jimjims89 wrote:
Hi guys would just like say that the oil light hasnt flashed at all since i wrote the first message. Over 2 weeks now so im going to take it as the replacement seal fixed it. Maybe the reason the oil light flickered a few times after getting it replaced at first was that the seal had to bed in or something?

Anyway problem solved. Thanks, great forum here


Happy to help.that's what this forum is all about...sharing the knowledge to benefit the members.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 132
Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
Thanks for the info on this I have just got a 2010 Aero TTiD and occasionally first thing on a morning I get the low oil pressure warning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 132
Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
Just wanted to update this I changed the seal the old one was rock hard like solid plastic.
Since changing it haven’t seen the warnings at all.
Thanks again for the info.
I ended up with a spare seal and gasket if anybody else needs to do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 pm
Posts: 12
Excellent and useful reading on this subject

I have this problem and need to fix it as soon as I have the time

WIS mentions the driveshaft bracket. Does the RHS driveshaft and inner driveshaft actually have to be removed or is it just a case of unbolting the driveshaft bracket from the sump but leaving it floating in place whilst the sump is dropped

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:55 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 132
Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
SaabPilot wrote:
Excellent and useful reading on this subject

I have this problem and need to fix it as soon as I have the time

WIS mentions the driveshaft bracket. Does the RHS driveshaft and inner driveshaft actually have to be removed or is it just a case of unbolting the driveshaft bracket from the sump but leaving it floating in place whilst the sump is dropped

Thanks


The long shaft splits at the bearing on a spline just drop the ball joint and the whole hub and shaft will move to the side then the inner shaft will pull out.
If you have access to a lift it’s not a bad job I did it on axle stands crawling underneath.
Hardest part was getting something to fit between the flywheel and sump to undo the 2 bolts at the side. Saab has a special tool but I managed to get a very long allen key in and turn it with the end of a ring spanner they aren’t tight.

I took the arch liner out to get better access easier to get something in next to the AC pump to prise the sump off and practice putting the sump back in without hitting anything save getting sealer everywhere it’s a bit tight for space.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 pm
Posts: 12
richfr thanks very much

Might take a bit longer than I thought, probably make sure I have to least 2 days

I can't send messages on here, are you able to email me at saab9000car@aol.com

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 pm
Posts: 12
Anyone recommend an Indy in Yorkshire to have this done?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:39 am
Posts: 76
Car Model: SAAB 9-3 SPORTWAGON AIRFLOW 15
This is one worth remembering


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 pm
Posts: 12
Took 3 days to drop the sump, change the seal and put everything back together
Have now used the car a few times without fault
Need a few more trips to be sure and hopefully some colder mornings to be absolutely sure

Probably would have only taken 2 days if I didn't have to drop the entire exhaust and free the DPF bolts with a blow torch !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am 
What a great post...

Got me thinking though... I understand that the seal goes hard and shrinks, this allows oil to pass into the sump, which on first cold start changes the oil pickup and for a second gives the oil pressure message.

But is this Actually a problem?? Reason I ask is a mate of mine recently told me he has had a TTiD and its done that for the last 2 years, never bothered him, oil service every 6k and never had any problems. So got me thinking does this problem just cause the pressure switch to think there is low pressure as opposed to actually being a 'real' problem, if you get my meaning?

|cheers.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm
Posts: 3060
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: NG 9-5 Aero TTid 2011
There have as far as i know,been no reports of any damage to the engine or any other symptoms highlighted other than the original
oil light flicker and sid warning.the answer was the fitment of a new seal that hardened....But whilst it is a choice to ignore the warning and keep using the car.....the what if-erry question comes into play and that is what if, due to continued use the already hardened seal breaks/crumbles due to continued use? what damage could that cause? it's just a choice thing really.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 17
Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 1.9 ttid
Well I have exactly the problem described in this post.
And it only started happening this week.
Maybe because until now 5w30 oil was used in my engine and I changed it immediately when I bought my Saab.
Well I ordered all the parts and as I look at my haynes manual there is a TON of parts to be disconnected and removed to get to the oil pan.
How much did the work cost you guys that changed the part at the shop and not yourselves?

P.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:47 pm
Posts: 190
Car Model: 9-3 Aero TTiD convertible auto
With regards to it actually being a problem or not. I've looked up the location of the pressure switch and it's just below the oil filter housing.

So I assume the oil is drawn up the pickup pipe then through the filter via the pressure switch. So if the seal is leaking when it's parked up for a while the oil will drain back down the pickup pipe.

Then when you start it up again it sucks the oil back up the pipe but there is a momentary loss of pressure/air in the system which is what triggers the light.

There should be plentiful oil still in the system and filter to still get around the engine. And there should still be plenty in the turbo supply lines and top of the engine.

But this is just an educated guess.

It's probably something I'll look at replacing at some point. If I'll already had a light flashing a few times then it's likely my seal is a little worn out.

primzy82 wrote:
Well I have exactly the problem described in this post.
And it only started happening this week.
Maybe because until now 5w30 oil was used in my engine and I changed it immediately when I bought my Saab.
P.


When I bought mine recently I looked at the last service properly and saw that 5W-30 was listed on the service receipt.

Looked through the prior services and they were all listing 0W-40.

I had a flickering oil light on startup now and then. I dropped the oil and put the correct 0W-40 and not sure if it's a coincidence but I've not seen it since.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 17
Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 1.9 ttid
Philje123 wrote:
With regards to it actually being a problem or not. I've looked up the location of the pressure switch and it's just below the oil filter housing.

So I assume the oil is drawn up the pickup pipe then through the filter via the pressure switch. So if the seal is leaking when it's parked up for a while the oil will drain back down the pickup pipe.

Then when you start it up again it sucks the oil back up the pipe but there is a momentary loss of pressure/air in the system which is what triggers the light.

There should be plentiful oil still in the system and filter to still get around the engine. And there should still be plenty in the turbo supply lines and top of the engine.

But this is just an educated guess.

It's probably something I'll look at replacing at some point. If I'll already had a light flashing a few times then it's likely my seal is a little worn out.

primzy82 wrote:
Well I have exactly the problem described in this post.
And it only started happening this week.
Maybe because until now 5w30 oil was used in my engine and I changed it immediately when I bought my Saab.
P.


When I bought mine recently I looked at the last service properly and saw that 5W-30 was listed on the service receipt.

Looked through the prior services and they were all listing 0W-40.

I had a flickering oil light on startup now and then. I dropped the oil and put the correct 0W-40 and not sure if it's a coincidence but I've not seen it since.


Well my service history states number of different oils. From 0w-40 to 5w-40 and bedore mentione 5w-30.
Maybe the oil after the change triggered my light but who knows. I bought the car from it's forst owner which was 65 year old lady and she didn't eve notice. Well the car is 8 years old and has 76000 miles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm
Posts: 3060
Location: Glasgow
Car Model: NG 9-5 Aero TTid 2011
primzy82 wrote:
Well I have exactly the problem described in this post.
And it only started happening this week.
Maybe because until now 5w30 oil was used in my engine and I changed it immediately when I bought my Saab.
Well I ordered all the parts and as I look at my haynes manual there is a TON of parts to be disconnected and removed to get to the oil pan.
How much did the work cost you guys that changed the part at the shop and not yourselves?

P.

Schonville Saab an indie in Glasgow charged less than £300 for the complete job on my 9-3 TTid a couple of years ago.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 17
Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 1.9 ttid
OK! The car was at the mechanic today and the situation is as follows:
- changed the o-ring
- changed oil&filter
-checked everything else

The oil light doesn't even come on now with the new o-ring! The mechanic said that some opel/vauxhalls suffer from same simptoms but not the alfas and that eventually the engine seizes because it sucks air rather than oil into the engine!
So the costs were:
work 85 EUR
parts&oil 100 EUR

I'm very happy with the outcome at the moment and I will report the findings if anything changes.
And thanks to all of you for great help and information on the issue!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 40025
Location: SW Herts
Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Oil light should come on when you turn the ignition on, and go out as you start the engine. If it doesn't come on at all, have they forgotten to reconnect the switch...

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 132
Car Model: 9000 Carlsson. 93 Aero TTiD
primzy82 wrote:
OK! The car was at the mechanic today and the situation is as follows:
- changed the o-ring
- changed oil&filter
-checked everything else

The oil light doesn't even come on now with the new o-ring! The mechanic said that some opel/vauxhalls suffer from same simptoms but not the alfas and that eventually the engine seizes because it sucks air rather than oil into the engine!
So the costs were:
work 85 EUR
parts&oil 100 EUR

I'm very happy with the outcome at the moment and I will report the findings if anything changes.
And thanks to all of you for great help and information on the issue!


Only charged €85 for the work :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 17
Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 1.9 ttid
Yeah the work was 3 hours at 22 EUR plus VAT! It wasn't the official shop but another which I trust more. The last time I was in official shop they put wrong oil in my ttid and I had to go back plus some other small things.
About the oil light in the manual it says that the light turns on when the oil pressure is low or there isn't enough oil in the engine. Of course each one with different message on the sid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 12
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Car Model: 9-3cv 900cv 9-3TTiD 9-3NEVS
Today I saw that Orio had a post on FB regarding this issue and that they have the seal/O-ring in stock.

So I've just read this thread again after a few years now (I don't own the TTiD anymore) and I'm so happy that this helped a lot of TTiD owners out there! :D

_________________
900Conv,92A,9-3SC,9000Solstad,92B,900s,Toppola
http://forum.saabturboclub.com/showthread.php/131494


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB