UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

Post subject: 2006 9-3tid no crank
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:55 pm 

Car Model: 93 Linar Sport
no crank, or steering lock working, traction control fault, car was working fine, been standing for two months and this happens, charged battery, and checked ism, new batteries in fob. OBD2 not working, when I plug in scanner, but it worked before.
Please help as I'm stumped!
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 2006 9-3tid no crank
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 pm 

Car Model: Any 9-3
Are you getting all normal ignition lights as normal, traction control failure on the display, key turns in the ism but no crank!

Is it 06 with/without facelift dash.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 am 

All lights come up, tcf is displayed in middle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Vector
I see you charged the battery, but have you tried a different (known to be good) battery?

My battery went about a year ago, but when it was on the charger it said it was good, and i had all sorts of gremlins similar to yours. I bought a brand new battery and all the issues went away.

Im aware that mine is a 9-5 and petrol, but may be worth a try just to rule it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 pm 

Main battery is over two years old and has gone flat a few times, so, would you think a new battery would cure the problem, it will start no problem, if I put a jumper wire were the starter relay is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:57 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Vector
It may do, but I dont want to say it will definitley fix the issue as battery's can get rather pricey.

It sounds like there could be some other issue with grounding if you have to connect the jumper directly to the starter relay to get it to start. Normally directly to the battery is good enough for a jump.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

saabbo22 wrote:
it will start no problem, if I put a jumper wire were the starter relay is.

I don't know a lot about how the modern diesel 9-3 is wired but my suspicion is that it needs so much stuff to work in the correct order, electrically, that if the only other thing it needs to get the engine running is to bypass the relay, then the relay would be the prime suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 pm 

Hi
I inherited an 07 with the same issue... It is likely the battery going flat has caused this as these cars really do need a good battery.. bottom line on the one i had was the battery going flat corrupted the CIM and that was it. TechII and second hand CIM with corresponding key cured the problem.

There is away around this without going the above route... as you have have the car already starting ok via the starter relay in the fuse box, you could wire a starter button up bypassing the start position on the ISM. If you take your time you could possibly wire this through the ISM itself so the gar works as normal, I explored this with the car I had and it will work. The only reason I didn't go down the above route was I could not remove "steering lock malfunction Make a safe stop and contact service" from the SID.

If yours is a pre facelift dash 06 you may be lucky and get away with this for MOT or you may be able to clear your fault codes fully...I couldn't.

If you need more info give me a shout as the above is the short version.

all the best Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 pm 

P.S. Charge your battery on a trickle charger over a few days, the slower the better, its likely the specific gravity of the battery is low and a quick charge will not rectify this... make sure that it stays above 12.5 volts when you finish charging it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 am 

Ok Gary thanks for info, I will be trying a few things as mentioned above, I will let you know what happens.