UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thread just locked
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: XC70.....
I see the thread that was providing a bit of feedback and challenge around the style and tone of moderation has been locked. As one of the contributors to the thread I was wondering if there’s been any reflection amongst the moderators about the constructive feedback provided and any decisions made as a result?

Post subject: Re: Thread just locked
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:16 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto
Your forum name is well chosen. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
You must mean the unfriendly forum one. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Someone change the record.

We've heard this song before.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:43 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Jaguar XF & Fiat 500
As moderators & admin we are tasked to ensure that the rules of the forum are adhered to, we shall continue to do that.

Many of the rules were put in place at the request of the members.
Yes we do get the occasional challenge to those rules, usually from those that have had posts or threads moderated in line with said rules. Either because they do not agree with the rules, choose to ignore, try to circumnavigate, or have just not had the courtesy to read them. This is despite agreeing to abide by them when they register on the forum.

The majority (mentioned by Nick) are happy with the current rules and moderation, many remain silent on the open forum because they do not want to be sniped at if they stick their heads above the parapet. But we get plenty of positive feedback at meetings and via pm etc...

We are open to sensible suggestions and constructive comments, however we will not change the rules just to pacify those who are in the minority (or just have an axe to grind because they have had threads or posts moderated) but continue to shout the loudest at every opportunity.

Having said that we have agreed that we will endeavour (when time allows) to give reasons (as a separate post or within the OP's post) as to why threads have been moved into the into the Pit Lane. Which was the original subject matter of the thread you mention.

Throwing the same sort of question back.
Did you have time to reflect on the fact that many of the contributors to the thread stated they are happy with the moderation and current rules.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
Its like politics (b word), shout loud enough and you get heard.
The silent majority is silenced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
I must admit, I can't see why it was locked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Eselar wrote:
Possibly because a thread running near the top of the recent posts list with a title that calls the forum unfriendly isn't the best of impressions to give?

I am not afraid to put my head above the parapet, despite being moderated myself previously to a small degree I am happy with the current systems, rules etc. There is nothing unfair about them.

However, if it is true (as someone kept saying on that thread) that a user keeps getting away with breaking the rules then I would feel that was unfair and undermines the rules.

I haven't spotted anyone flouting the rules but I have been visiting less often recently due to life etc.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:18 pm 
Arkwright.

TwyRob wrote:
Eselar wrote:
Possibly because a thread running near the top of the recent posts list with a title that calls the forum unfriendly isn't the best of impressions to give?

However, if it is true (as someone kept saying on that thread) that a user keeps getting away with breaking the rules then I would feel that was unfair and undermines the rules.

The person who initially implied that there was some rule bending would not elaborate on what they meant by it.
So we do not know if he was accusing someone else or he was referring to himself circumnavigating the rules by some means.

As for the thread being locked, you have a valid point but if that was the case we would have moved the thread into 101 rather than just locking and leaving it.

I was going to post this yesterday, in response but never got around to it.

Quote:
It was locked because as per usual it was developing into a moderation bashing thread, with the same two or three members beating the same drum over and over again.
They are then encouraged by one or two that just like to stir the pot whenever they get the chance.

Now of course this thread has been started so that the same drum can be banged and again the same pot stirrers will dip their spoon in now and again :roll:

Edit: By the way I'm not accusing you of being one of those pot stirrers :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: XC70.....
I think I’ll stop reading and contributing to threads like these. My reason for starting this one was I guess in response to the other one being locked without any particular reason being given and a genuine curiosity if threads like these were useful to the moderators in understanding how some felt about the way the rules were applied.

Participants on forums are effectively customers of that forum. UKsaabs is a mixed community who come on here for all kinds of reasons. Like any place which serves customers, different customers have different ways of viewing life, and differing attitudes to the way those in positions of ‘authority’ exercise that authority. Personally, I like environments where people are encouraged to use judgement vs a set of rules/guidelines, and providing nobody’s taking the proverbial, where there’s feedback needed, it’s delivered in a constructive way perhaps with a bit of humour rather than feeling like I’m being told off by a grumpy traffic warden.

That said, forums need moderation, moderators are volunteers, and you’re never going to be able to please all the people all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 pm 
Arkwright.

I suspect traffic wardens have every reason to be grumpy when they are constantly getting stick for doing what they are supposed to be doing :wink:

Whats the point in having rules or guidelines if everyone is going to apply them only when they feel like it.

As well as members griping when the rules have been applied, we will get an equal number of people rightly miffed that the rules have not been applied consistently and fairly.

Quote:
TwyRob Wrote: However, if it is true (as someone kept saying on that thread) that a user keeps getting away with breaking the rules then I would feel that was unfair and undermines the rules.

Quote:
My reason for starting this one was I guess in response to the other one being locked without any particular reason being given and a genuine curiosity if threads like these were useful to the moderators in understanding how some felt about the way the rules were applied.

We know how some feel, but as I have said in the past some is not all.
Plenty more than those who are unhappy are happy with the way the forum is moderated, so on reflection things are probably ok as they are.

Quote:
That said, forums need moderation, moderators are volunteers, and you’re never going to be able to please all the people all the time.

Nail on the head with that one :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
The thread was locked as per the above from Mal, the very last post being deleted because it was unhelpful and inflammatory. It in no way contributed to the discussion, but was merely aimed at stirring trouble. I could have gone into a lengthy explanation of why it was locked, but didn't have the necessary free time to compose a reasoned reply.
The whole thread was left where it was so that all could see exactly what had been raised and discussed. If we were in any way trying to hide it out of some sort of concern over appearance, then it would have been deleted. That however is not how this place runs. We welcome feedback, and encourage dialogue, what we find a little tougher to swallow is complaining about the rules (which were agreed to at the point of signing up) when they don't suit certain individuals wishes. We do aim to treat everyone here equally and fairly.

I would like to address the issue of the users of UKS being customers. I would disagree with this...... customers usually purchase products or services which a vendor has for sale. As UKS sell nothing (there may be a shop sometime in the future) it is more like a library. Whereby people can join if they wish and use the facilities provided so long as they abide by the stipulations set out. No one is under any form of duress to remain here if they do not agree with the rules which help keep this place going. Said rules being in place to keep it functional but also free from adult content and swearing, spam plus endless adverts within often useful threads.
As has been mentioned many times before, when us volunteers have time, we will make the effort to send a pm to those affected by our actions, mainly to try and highlight why action was taken and encourage continued participation.....hopefully educating to avoid problems in the future. This is not always possible, especially if there are numerous posts to be approved and moderated. In part we are victims of our own success, however we do the best that we can with what we have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:41 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Espin99 wrote:

Quote:

Nail on the head with that one :D

Beat me to my comment! Agree completely