UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: Meatfeast 9-5 Aero
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
meatfeast wrote:
recently changed the wheels for a new set of PDW Motorsport ‘Nurburgring’ 18” - gone to an 8.5” width too on these too

Sounds tasty! How wide are the tyres on that and is there any rubbing in the arches?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5
Quad_cam_turbo wrote:
meatfeast wrote:
recently changed the wheels for a new set of PDW Motorsport ‘Nurburgring’ 18” - gone to an 8.5” width too on these too

Sounds tasty! How wide are the tyres on that and is there any rubbing in the arches?

They’re really lovely wheels, however the finish is darker than I expected so I’ll use them over the winter then have them powder coated with a brighter finish in the spring.

The tyres are 225 40 18 - I was a little concerned about rubbing but it’s been fine although if I go to a 235 on the front I have a feeling they’ll catch on full lock.

If I can work out how to get a picture up of it I will.

Yamas!

268 Cams
MapTun Nana's
461.4bhp Dynoed

No 'Circa' BS here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
ah, 225 is pretty conservative on an 8.5J rim. I was thinking perhaps a 245 had been put on it.
I saw a VW running 8.5J with 255s on and it looked pretty shoehorned on

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5
A quick build thread update.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Jay & Andy at Malcolm Miles Saab in Leicester for carrying out a few overdue tasks and ideas a couple of weeks back.

I always knew that my gearbox might become an issue given the power and torque that the car is producing and so in late summer I purchased a gearbox rebuild and update kit. The gearbox seemed to be developing an issue between first and second which I found quite odd as I never overdrive it in the low gears because the wheels light up like Christmas Trees and because the torque is limited in first and second gear too. When the car was rolling to a stop it became impossible to select first gear in readiness to set off again - even below 5mph. The car had to be at a dead stop before first could be engaged and then once out of first gear the box would then occasionally jump out of second gear just as it seemed to have engaged.

It wasn’t particularly bad but it wasn’t good either and I knew it was only a matter of time before it was going to get worse. So I purchased the aforementioned rebuild/upgrade kit after researching and discussing options with numerous people and companies. The rebuild kit came with everything needed and includes an upgrade that helps the action of the throw, just makes it easier and a bit more ‘snicky’ to engage gears, especially from fourth to fifth, which for me has always been pretty poor.

I had the box stripped and fully rebuilt and also fitted a new Slave Cylinder too just for peace of mind and it’s so much better than it was previously, the upgrade kit certainly works very well but I’m still sad to say that although it’s a big improvement, the box is definitely never going to be a precise and positive thing to use. So while the car was in dock I also had the Sump dropped, inspected and cleaned again - it’s not been off for a couple of years and thankfully was spotless. I fitted a slightly wider mesh to the oil pickup a few years ago and it’s worked very well - given how often the sumps been removed in the past it’s possible to remove it in less than twenty minutes, so while the car was in the air with the subframe off it was a bit of a no brainer.

I also had the power steering pipework replaced as the existing was quite badly corroded, again with the car in the air sans subframe it was a good opportunity to sort it out. Jay also fitted a new rear brake pipe as one of mine was showing signs of corrosion so again I decided to seize the opportunity and get it done whilst the car was airborne.

So a major job done and some preventative maintenance thrown in for good measure!

Needless to say the work that Jay, Andy and Gaz put in was as first class as ever and I drove the car home absolutely delighted in finally having a decent feeling gearbox. I need to put a few careful miles on the gearbox which I’m currently doing, then I’ll drop the gearbox oil and put some decent stuff in and go from there.

The car is still ridiculously awesome to drive, it never ceases to amaze in just how effortless it feels - it’s definitely the automotive equivalent of an iron fist in a velvet glove the way it delivers its power - and it’s such a giggle catching the unwary out - I’m a grown man for pity’s sake - I should know better! I’m going to finally get around to sorting out the bodywork over the next few months hopefully and I’m definitely going to have the new wheels powder coated lighter - I’m not a fan of the colour and they make the car look modified which I’m trying to avoid, so they’re on the to do list.

So after 8 years of ownership (I bought the car 23rd December 2009) and seven years of continuous tuning and upgrading, all in all this jalopy of mine is still going strong and with fairly minimal upkeep, given the performance available - it’s never missed a beat! For me the only reason behind it is simply that with the help of others, I built my car to what it is today myself. I didn’t buy somebody else’s project or basket case, or a car that was already supposedly heavily tuned because you never really know exactly what you’re getting involved with - and with the really odd exception, all it ever does is lead to problems, expense and frustration.

My car makes over twice what it made from the factory, it made 461.4bhp on its last dyno run with 540nm torque. No made up figures, no ‘circa’ bhp claims, no third gear runs on the dyno to make the torque figure appear higher, no false power and unsubstantiated performance claims of any description - I’m so not ‘that guy’!

The mid range and top end acceleration is quite literally devastating - and when the moment is right, it’s pretty impossible to resist - even on a half throttle it’ll absolutely destroy pretty much anything in its path - and it’s something I’ll never get bored of. There’s not been any more performance mods made since the car was last dynoed, I’ve a few plans for next year just to make some tweaks here and there but nothing too major, I’m delighted with where it’s at tbh.

I didn’t and never will cut corners in its build and upkeep, I know every single nut and bolt on it and touch wood so far it’s served me incredibly well for all of the aforementioned reasons.

And for the time being that’s that!

Yamas!

268 Cams
MapTun Nana's
461.4bhp Dynoed

No 'Circa' BS here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2006 9-5 Aero Estate
Thanks for the update. Interesting read as always.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 9-5 Aero
Glad you're still enjoying it :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm 
China Charger

Car Model: Mapped S60 D5
meatfeast wrote:
A quick build thread update.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Jay & Andy at Malcolm Miles Saab in Leicester for carrying out a few overdue tasks and ideas a couple of weeks back.

I always knew that my gearbox might become an issue given the power and torque that the car is producing and so in late summer I purchased a gearbox rebuild and update kit. The gearbox seemed to be developing an issue between first and second which I found quite odd as I never overdrive it in the low gears because the wheels light up like Christmas Trees and because the torque is limited in first and second gear too. When the car was rolling to a stop it became impossible to select first gear in readiness to set off again - even below 5mph. The car had to be at a dead stop before first could be engaged and then once out of first gear the box would then occasionally jump out of second gear just as it seemed to have engaged.

It wasn’t particularly bad but it wasn’t good either and I knew it was only a matter of time before it was going to get worse. So I purchased the aforementioned rebuild/upgrade kit after researching and discussing options with numerous people and companies. The rebuild kit came with everything needed and includes an upgrade that helps the action of the throw, just makes it easier and a bit more ‘snicky’ to engage gears, especially from fourth to fifth, which for me has always been pretty poor.

I had the box stripped and fully rebuilt and also fitted a new Slave Cylinder too just for peace of mind and it’s so much better than it was previously, the upgrade kit certainly works very well but I’m still sad to say that although it’s a big improvement, the box is definitely never going to be a precise and positive thing to use. So while the car was in dock I also had the Sump dropped, inspected and cleaned again - it’s not been off for a couple of years and thankfully was spotless. I fitted a slightly wider mesh to the oil pickup a few years ago and it’s worked very well - given how often the sumps been removed in the past it’s possible to remove it in less than twenty minutes, so while the car was in the air with the subframe off it was a bit of a no brainer.

I also had the power steering pipework replaced as the existing was quite badly corroded, again with the car in the air sans subframe it was a good opportunity to sort it out. Jay also fitted a new rear brake pipe as one of mine was showing signs of corrosion so again I decided to seize the opportunity and get it done whilst the car was airborne.

So a major job done and some preventative maintenance thrown in for good measure!

Needless to say the work that Jay, Andy and Gaz put in was as first class as ever and I drove the car home absolutely delighted in finally having a decent feeling gearbox. I need to put a few careful miles on the gearbox which I’m currently doing, then I’ll drop the gearbox oil and put some decent stuff in and go from there.

The car is still ridiculously awesome to drive, it never ceases to amaze in just how effortless it feels - it’s definitely the automotive equivalent of an iron fist in a velvet glove the way it delivers its power - and it’s such a giggle catching the unwary out - I’m a grown man for pity’s sake - I should know better! I’m going to finally get around to sorting out the bodywork over the next few months hopefully and I’m definitely going to have the new wheels powder coated lighter - I’m not a fan of the colour and they make the car look modified which I’m trying to avoid, so they’re on the to do list.

So after 8 years of ownership (I bought the car 23rd December 2009) and seven years of continuous tuning and upgrading, all in all this jalopy of mine is still going strong and with fairly minimal upkeep, given the performance available - it’s never missed a beat! For me the only reason behind it is simply that with the help of others, I built my car to what it is today myself. I didn’t buy somebody else’s project or basket case, or a car that was already supposedly heavily tuned because you never really know exactly what you’re getting involved with - and with the really odd exception, all it ever does is lead to problems, expense and frustration.

My car makes over twice what it made from the factory, it made 461.4bhp on its last dyno run with 540nm torque. No made up figures, no ‘circa’ bhp claims, no third gear runs on the dyno to make the torque figure appear higher, no false power and unsubstantiated performance claims of any description - I’m so not ‘that guy’!

The mid range and top end acceleration is quite literally devastating - and when the moment is right, it’s pretty impossible to resist - even on a half throttle it’ll absolutely destroy pretty much anything in its path - and it’s something I’ll never get bored of. There’s not been any more performance mods made since the car was last dynoed, I’ve a few plans for next year just to make some tweaks here and there but nothing too major, I’m delighted with where it’s at tbh.

I didn’t and never will cut corners in its build and upkeep, I know every single nut and bolt on it and touch wood so far it’s served me incredibly well for all of the aforementioned reasons.

And for the time being that’s that!

Yamas!

Glad to hear its still going strong Mike and is everything and more than you expected it to be.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 am 

Car Model: '01 9-5 Aero Wagon
Fantastic story, it's brilliant to see what someone with not much more than enthusiasm (at the start!) can achieve!

When you fitted your forged pistons did you have the block honed/bored? Sort of glossed over that – I'm about to install a set of Wossner's so interested to know if you simply whacked 'em in or if it went off for machining.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Nice to see ‘boosted boris’ (Misha) doing a blog on your car few months back.

Shame it was so wet, no footage you can legally show safely.

You should take it to the ring Mike!
At some point.

.....might join you, would be a hoot to see 2 similar power and spec 9-5’s going round.

And yeah... I probably would break mine :D

Kev
SOULFIRER
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Brilliant read! Gives me something to aspire to with my newly acquired 9-5.

Glad it's not just me that's found 4th to 5th a little too close together!

Cheers,

SS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Volvo 240 B200F
Is this amazing car still around?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41