UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm 
It said 'play on steering rack inner joints' as an advisory on my C900's MOT form in recent years, last year with 'a lot' added. Would this be remedied with new tie rods, or do I require a rebuilt rack? Can the tie rods be replaced with the rack in situ?

The steering is otherwise fine, but I'll also need to investigate a leak, I so may replace the rack anyway if a seal leaks. It's an '88 car (LHD), so it has power steering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 900
Sounds like the track rod and not the rack to me. If you split the track rod end ball you'll probably see the rod will be flopping all over place. Should also feel it by rocking wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock.
Track rods can be changed insitu on your rack with a big shifter, can't remember spanner size offhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm 
Great. I'll replace the rods if the seals on the rack don't leak, new ones are cheap enough. If they do leak I'll get a rebuilt rack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab 900 and 99
melle wrote:
It said 'play on steering rack inner joints' as an advisory on my C900's MOT form in recent years, last year with 'a lot' added. Would this be remedied with new tie rods, or do I require a rebuilt rack? Can the tie rods be replaced with the rack in situ?

The steering is otherwise fine, but I'll also need to investigate a leak, I so may replace the rack anyway if a seal leaks. It's an '88 car (LHD), so it has power steering.

To replace the inner tie rods the rack does need to be removed.

Lancer EVO 6.5 TME '00 in red
Lancer EVO 6.5 TME '00 in black

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am 
Hmmm, have more people done it with the rack in situ as Mr Haynes suggests is possible?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am 
Active user

The powered racks on full lock stick out just enough to get a spanner on to unscrew/screw the track rod :wink:

If not convinced, very easy to check.....turn steering to full lock and feel the ball end of track rod through the gaiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am 
My workshop manual only shows how to replace them with the rack in a vice. Will try with the rack in situ first, if that fails I'll wrestle it out. Need to check the seals for leaks first anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am 
Active user

track rod is essentially a big bolt that screws into the end of the rack, it's not complicated. Hardest part is relocating the balance pipe whilst fitting gaiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am 
Haven't had the time to have a proper look yet, will investigate asap. If the seals leak I'm not going to bother replacing the track rods, so I'll pull back the gaiters and see if the insides are dry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 pm 
Had a look today; I haven't pulled the bellows to inspect for leaks, but the pinion shaft seal leaks quite badly. I considered just fitting a new seal there, but decided against going that route as I need to get this job done quickly because my workshop time is limited. So, in order to avoid further surprises, I just ordered a rebuilt rack, despite ordering a pair of track rods yesterday. :roll: .