UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
Combined indicator/flasher/dipswitch (from a V4) fitted & wired to the headlight circuits via a V4 relay - setup works well & headlights are definitely brighter. New alternator copes well with the load - ammeter shows positive charging even with heads on main beam.
Heater bypassed using a new 19mm hose directly between the inline thermostat & the bottom of the radiator. Considering having the rad re-cored and/or fitting an electric fan.
I'm taking a break from doing stuff on him for the time being - will just drive & enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:18 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1974 Silver 2dr 99 EMS
Hi David,

May I ask what electric pump you went for please?
I have stripped the dynapump on mine and replaced the o'ring because it was rock hard, flipped the base seal over, because it was quite deeply grooved and i'm getting a steady drip now, which is better than the constant trickle I had before. :*)
Soooooo, I've been thinking of fitting an electric water pump instead, even if just as a temporary measure.

Thanks
Will

p.s, you mention SSK a few times in regards to spare parts. Who's that? :?:

1981 99 Turbo 2dr
1983 99 2dr parts
1983 99 2dr parts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Apologies for not spotting your post earlier - other things have taken priority of late. The electric water pump fitted to Erik is a 12V boat pump; details of which are in a box somewhere in my Saab-Spares hut at the bottom of the garden! I'll try to find it; I should also have the invoice/receipt somewhere in my filing system so there is hope! The inlet & outlet are 19mm so "standard" heater hose is a good fit.
"SSK" is the acronym for the Svenska Saab Klubben, which has a good range of spares &, at around £20 a year for membership, is very good value. The spares guys are really helpful. Best to lòok it up via Google, which translates the website into English (the club's version isn't quite complete & can be frustrating to use).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Still haven't found the instruction leaflet, which is definitely somewhere in the spares hut. I have found the eBay printout - I bought it from Mack Engineering (info@mackengineering.co.uk) in March 2010, at a total cost of £139 inc p&p, a couple of weeks after I bought the car! I also have a printout from Aquafax (the manufacturer?) In Luton. They describe it as a circulation pump, CM30P7-1, 12V, stock # 10-24504-03. It pumps 26 litres/minute & draws a max current of 2.2A.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1974 Silver 2dr 99 EMS
Thanks for getting back to me David.
I must admit, since fitting a different design of seal in the original dynopump, there hasn't been any signs of leaks.
I'm going to drain the system and fill up with antifreeze mix now and see how that goes. If it's going to leak, it'll be once it has antifreeze in it the system instead of just water.

If it starts leaking again, then an electric pump will probably be my next option.

Thanks again.

Will

1981 99 Turbo 2dr
1983 99 2dr parts
1983 99 2dr parts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 am 
UKS Addict

Thanks for your comments, Will. Could you let me (us) know what make/type/part number seal you fitted to the water pump end of your dynamo? If I can find and fit one, there'll be a fully-refurbished, working item on offer to fellow stroker-owners. I'm definitely sticking with my alternator + electric water pump mods and considering an electric fan as well for those summer trips to Saab events. The heater is currently disconnected/bypassed and removed as the controller was leaking badly and is now completely fubar (destroyed by me whilst dismantling it!). New one, on the SSK website, is a bit expensive, as is the Chinese-sourced one on eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:01 am 
UKS Addict

Not much achieved in recent months. Considering the replacement of the heater valve with something more modern & plastic-bodied, located in the engine bay so no leakage into the cabin as with the original. In no way is Erik "concours" so it doesn't really matter too much - practicality will overcome originality!
Looking for a local upholsterer to work on the Reuters seat covers, which are slowly disintegrating. Current colour scheme is blue with black cloth inserts but I may have to see what I can get. Also having (expensive) thoughts about a full respray/refinish in a different colour, as he's currently sporting two distinct shades of blue. Odouardo Grey springs to mind - I really like that Saab colour! - not an original 96 colour but what the heck, I think he would look stunning in that. Must start saving the pounds (pennies won't get us there!!!).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm 
UKS Addict

"Erik" will soon be coming "home" - space freed up in the garage (once the huge box containing the new windscreen for the c900 has gone) - so that's another £36 a month saved. No more storage fees!!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:50 am 
UKS Addict

"Erik" is now at "home" again after nearly 4.5 years in storage (but used/driven regularly so I don't forget his stroker foibles) and happily stowed away in the garage. He started well, after several months of slumber over the winter, and I drove him out of the barn and around the yard before hitching him up to the 900 (via the Tow-a-Car frame) for the trip home. Drove him into the garage and hooked him up to the CTEK charger which will keep the battery fully charged. Looking forward to the next phase - refurbished radiator and, maybe, an electric fan to keep him cool along with the electric water pump and waterless coolant. Still working on acquiring a new heater valve and, maybe, a replacement carb as the current one's feeling its age with a bit of seepage of oil (from the fuel/oil mix) around the throttle shaft.
If I could find a "good" later - triple-carb, oil injection - Sport/GT engine ............ now there's a thought! I would consider an otherwise-good engine that needs its crank re-ground and new bearings etc. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:22 pm 
UKS Addict

MoT passed with no advisories! I know he doesn't [legally] need one but it's for peace of mind after the work that's been done (welding, wheel bearings etc). Took him for a long drive up to Yeovil (TR Autos and Asda) then down to Dorchester (Shell V-Power top-up) and home. First time I've been able to see how he really goes since up-jetting to match the Jetex exhaust and fitting a bigger venturi in the Solex 40A1 carb - definitely makes a difference as he can now get up quite long hills in 4th at a reasonable speed without struggling. That wasn't possible before, so I'm pleased, and will be taking him out more often.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: Bullnose
Well done with the MOT pass...sounds like it's all systems go...Great. Still no pictures yet...Please!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 pm 
UKS Addict

I'm still working on pictures! My [very old] brain hasn't quite got the knack of it yet, although I'm getting better with "Paint". Have had to take recent photos of the older 3 (96, 900 and Opel GT) for the new, 3-in-1 "agreed value" insurance policy, so it might not be too long now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
heli-saaber wrote:
I'm still working on pictures! My [very old] brain hasn't quite got the knack of it yet, although I'm getting better with "Paint". Have had to take recent photos of the older 3 (96, 900 and Opel GT) for the new, 3-in-1 "agreed value" insurance policy, so it might not be too long now.

For simple resizing try https://www.irfanview.com/
It does all sorts of stuff but the resize/resample option is easy to find and use. It's free, always a bonus, and it's been one of the first downloads on any system I've had including work computers. I've used it for years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 pm 
UKS Addict

I used to use Irfanview many years ago - always found it easy to use and got good results - must try it again. Paint (2D) has been okay, too. Still working on finding a suitable host site so I can put stuff on here!
Moved "Erik" from the garage to his new home today - around the corner in the lean-to where the old trailer used to live. That was sold this morning and towed away (thanks, Gumtree!) to its new home. Erik is currently under a waterproof outdoor cover (by Classic Additions - all my covers are bought from them) but will eventually be put into the Carcoon when I've boarded the ground/floor to protect it. I've had the Carcoon for years but never used it so it'll be fun getting it sorted out. Had to buy a new filter kit for it - the old (foam) filters had disintegrated with age - waiting for them to arrive. For the summer, he'll be okay under the cover, especially as I want to get him out and drive him regularly, and I've put a couple of bait boxes under him "just in case". The Opel GT has taken his place in the (dry) garage and looks completely at home in there. Apart from the 9-3, everything's under cover now. Result!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:54 pm 
UKS Addict

Anyone take the Daily Telegraph online? Article today on "Erik" written by Andrew Roberts: Swede Dream - Saab 96 at 60.
if you subscribe, you can see the full article. If not, you can sign up for a 1-month free trial (and then cancel it!).
https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm 
UKS Addict

Package arrived from Sweden this morning - shiny new heater valve for Erik (expensive but my other old ones are fubar) and 4 heater hoses. I have to remove the heater box to access/re-fit the rubber boot that protected the old wired-in coil and prevented water getting into the interior. It's impossible to get it aligned and sealed without better access than the coil-hole! Once that's done I can fit the new heater hoses; must also try to renew the air-pipes between the heater box and the screen de-misters - another nightmare under the dash, especially on the driver's side with having to dodge the steering column.
Andrew Roberts has been in touch again as he wants to do an article on the two-stroke Saabs -maybe next month - I'll let you all know when & where it'll be published. If anyone wants to join in with [their stroker, 92, 93, 95, 96 or 97 (Sonett] the photo-shoot and contribute their story, it'll be happening in West Dorset.