UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:06 pm

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:03 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
Hi

New here. And based in Ireland.

Seriously thinking of buying a 2008 Saab 9-3. Saloon. Automatic. Petrol. 1.8

I undestnd the 1.8 is actually a 2 litre, is this correct?

Do they come in 150 and 175 bhp?

I think they are bio power also. As far as I am aware, bio ethanol is not available to buy in Ireland. So it’s just standard petrol I would use. How does this affect things?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:39 am 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:48 am
Posts: 5731
Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
1.8t is a 2 litre, 150 PS

The 175PS engine is badged 2.0t - same engine, different tune.

There is a 1.8 engine (same as the Vectra) but a 1.8i and not badged. It's a 122PS unit that had already been discontinued in Astras and Vectras in favour of a VVC unit. 1.8i and 1.8t are therefore completely different beasts....nowt bad with 1.8t - can be tuned to 200Ps quite easily.

BioPower 1.8t is 175PS with E85. car runs no differently regardless of what's in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Willington, Derbys. UK
Car Model: 2010 9-3 Aero Carlsson
There is also a 2.0 Aero with 210bhp. It is also same engine as 1.8t & 2.0t but with different map and bigger turbo and some other bits.

_________________
Aero Carlsson 2.8T V6 302bhp 2010/60
Aero 2.0T 250bhp 2007/07
Vector 2.0t 175bhp 2002/52


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 am 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
thanks for the helpful and quick replies.

so, just need to be carfeul with the badge on the back and what it says, 1.8t or 2.0t or better still just get the seller to give me more info. we unfortunataley dont have e85 anynmore in Ireland.
Aero not really an option here as rare as hens teeth etc


Now, down to the actual car, wheter it be the 150 or 175 bhp version on standard unleaded. And the saloon **automatic**

What are they like for reliability?
What are they like for MPG? (I know this depends on driving style)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:13 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Peterborough UK
Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
Reliable as any other vehicle if maintained and looked after.
If you want the full SP on any saab you can obtain the build specification at www.thesaabsite.com form the VIN.
Auto petrols will be thirsty (prob in the 20-35mpg town/motorway range) and in the UK the tax hit VED makes them a tad unpopular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
cjapeterborough wrote:
Reliable as any other vehicle if maintained and looked after.
If you want the full SP on any saab you can obtain the build specification at http://www.thesaabsite.com form the VIN.
Auto petrols will be thirsty (prob in the 20-35mpg town/motorway range) and in the UK the tax hit VED makes them a tad unpopular.


Thanks.

But high level, are there any major known issues?

Like previously I had a BMW 320D with a known issue of a timing chain on N47 engines etc
and I believe the earlier pre 2008 Sabb 93's had an oil sludge issue or similar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Posts: 856
Location: East Dorset
Car Model: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
No sludge issues on these.

In that age range they had soft inlet valve problems. Generally occurs in 60k + mailers and manifests itself as a cold misfire, which goes away after a minute or two. Prevalent on 1.8t, 2.0t and Aero engines. Fixed by cars built in 2009.

That is a £600+ cylinder head rebuild with new valves. Ask me how I know?

CIM's can play up too. You can get remanufactured ones but expect a large bill and the need for a Tech2 session.

Otherwise they are pretty good. Watch the seats though. Turbo Edition and Linear seats are a bit naff, compared to 9-5 seats. Vector and Aero are better.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
munchcorp wrote:
No sludge issues on these.

In that age range they had soft inlet valve problems. Generally occurs in 60k + mailers and manifests itself as a cold misfire, which goes away after a minute or two. Prevalent on 1.8t, 2.0t and Aero engines. Fixed by cars built in 2009.

That is a £600+ cylinder head rebuild with new valves. Ask me how I know?

CIM's can play up too. You can get remanufactured ones but expect a large bill and the need for a Tech2 session.

Otherwise they are pretty good. Watch the seats though. Turbo Edition and Linear seats are a bit naff, compared to 9-5 seats. Vector and Aero are better.


Thanks.
mmm, so could be 2 potential issues so.
What are CIMS?



Do these car have a timing chain OR belt?
And what are the changed intervals?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 40846
Location: SW Herts
Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
CIM is the column integration module. A black box of electronics around the steering column with the indicator and wiper stalks coming from it. It is security linked to the engine management unit and controls the immobiliser, ignition switch and door locking, plus the steering lock.

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
Do these car have a timing chain OR belt?
What are the recommended change intervals?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 4348
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T
The petrols have a timing chain. The replacement interval is: change if stretched or otherwise faulty. Leave it if not.

Regular oil changes help to preserve the chain, every 6 - 8 thousand miles or so.

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
Are there many reports of timing chain issues?

And is it an expensive job to sort out?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 40846
Location: SW Herts
Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
We have had a 2003 2.0 litre. Bought at one year old, sold 12 years later. No issues.

And now have a 2010 2.8 V6 again, no issues so far.

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 236
Location: Bromma, Stockhlom, Sweden
Car Model: Saab 9-5 2.3t
Hi
We have a 2.0t 9-3 auto.
Super comfy, no problems to report after two years. Apart from an indicator bulb!
About 31 mpg on easy driving, touch more on a gentle motorway drive. I guess around 400 miles from a tank.
Easy to re-map by the God of Saabs, Karl (SaabNoob).
Cheers
Paul

_________________
'04 9-5 2.3t, '06 9-3 2.0 '63 CB72, '74 Ducati 250 MK3, '81 Yam XT500, '76 TS250J, '98 Alfa Spider


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
sonflowerinwales wrote:
Hi
We have a 2.0t 9-3 auto.
Super comfy, no problems to report after two years. Apart from an indicator bulb!
About 31 mpg on easy driving, touch more on a gentle motorway drive. I guess around 400 miles from a tank.
Easy to re-map by the God of Saabs, Karl (SaabNoob).
Cheers
Paul



Hi

Good to hear.

What year is your 9-3?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm
Posts: 150
Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.0T
munchcorp wrote:
No sludge issues on these.

In that age range they had soft inlet valve problems. Generally occurs in 60k + mailers and manifests itself as a cold misfire, which goes away after a minute or two. Prevalent on 1.8t, 2.0t and Aero engines. Fixed by cars built in 2009.

That is a £600+ cylinder head rebuild with new valves. Ask me how I know?

CIM's can play up too. You can get remanufactured ones but expect a large bill and the need for a Tech2 session.

Otherwise they are pretty good. Watch the seats though. Turbo Edition and Linear seats are a bit naff, compared to 9-5 seats. Vector and Aero are better.


was £600+ the DIY or garage cost. If garage, that seems very competitive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
Is there any easy way to tell what bhp a car is on standard unleaded petrol?
Like is there a sticker anywhere that details this.

I know one can enter a VIN code to a website etc, but just wondering if a visual way to tell.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:21 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 4348
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T
obi604 wrote:
Is there any easy way to tell what bhp a car is on standard unleaded petrol?
Like is there a sticker anywhere that details this.

I know one can enter a VIN code to a website etc, but just wondering if a visual way to tell.
Yes. On petrols the badges on the back tell all.

V6 Aero = 250bhp
Aero = 207bhp - 210bhp
2.0t = 175bhp
1.8t = 150bhp
1.8 = ~130bhp

Arc, Linear, Vector etc are trim levels. Aero is also a trim level in a way, especially on diesels but it's mainly a power level.

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Posts: 29
Car Model: none yet
TwyRob wrote:
obi604 wrote:
Is there any easy way to tell what bhp a car is on standard unleaded petrol?
Like is there a sticker anywhere that details this.

I know one can enter a VIN code to a website etc, but just wondering if a visual way to tell.
Yes. On petrols the badges on the back tell all.

V6 Aero = 250bhp
Aero = 207bhp - 210bhp
2.0t = 175bhp
1.8t = 150bhp
1.8 = ~130bhp

Arc, Linear, Vector etc are trim levels. Aero is also a trim level in a way, especially on diesels but it's mainly a power level.


Thanks. So purely based on badges at back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:50 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Willington, Derbys. UK
Car Model: 2010 9-3 Aero Carlsson
obi604 wrote:
TwyRob wrote:
obi604 wrote:
Is there any easy way to tell what bhp a car is on standard unleaded petrol?
Like is there a sticker anywhere that details this.

I know one can enter a VIN code to a website etc, but just wondering if a visual way to tell.
Yes. On petrols the badges on the back tell all.

V6 Aero = 250bhp
Aero = 207bhp - 210bhp
2.0t = 175bhp
1.8t = 150bhp
1.8 = ~130bhp

Arc, Linear, Vector etc are trim levels. Aero is also a trim level in a way, especially on diesels but it's mainly a power level.


Thanks. So purely based on badges at back.


Yes, pretty much, the 1.8t, 2.0t & Aero all use the same 2.0l engine (Aero has bigger turbo and other bits) so not a lot of difference to see under the bonnet.

The 2.0t, Aero & Aero V6 have a Turbo boost gauge in dashboard, at top of the dial where engine temp and fuel is. The 1.8t does not have this (at least I have not seen one with it)

_________________
Aero Carlsson 2.8T V6 302bhp 2010/60
Aero 2.0T 250bhp 2007/07
Vector 2.0t 175bhp 2002/52


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: keithyboy, MSN [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB