UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 Aero
Hi,

I seem to be loosing a little coolant on my 9-3 aero 2003. I am going to monitor this over the next few weeks, but wanted to know of a good coolant to use to fill up in the meantime?

Done some research and couldn’t get any concrete answer (for sale in the UK).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm 

PS. Halfords recommend this: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... e-2-litres

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I use the Halfords OAT stuff too. It’s the right coolant. I buy the concentrated bottle. Then dilute it 50%.

But for small top ups, water is fine.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I use the pink OAT stuff from ECP (Triple QX). The concentrated one is better value than the ready mixed (5 litre bottle) but wait for the weekend discounts!

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:02 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the small leak will stop

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 pm 

Hi
One thing to check (as the coolant empty light has come on today). Does it matter if the current coolant I have been using is blue and the Halfords one that I mentioned earlier is pink?
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Yes. Blue is the older type. I would flush and change it all.

I can't remember,but there is some issue regarding corrosion with some types of anti-freeze.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm 

Thanks, but not the best at the mechanic side unfortunately and now I can’t add the coolant that I have!

Maybe worth just topping up with water and if it persists taking it to the garage...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
Rhion,

Certainly no problem topping up with water at this time of year but, if it continues then get it seen to and don't forget to get back up to strength by the winter. Since you are on the 'old' blue stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a flush and swap to the pink OAT anti-freeze then.

Paul @ Kippen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Mixing blue and red can causes a sludgy type goo inside the coolant system, not good!

Top up with water and buy two things: a gunson coolant tester and a turkey baster. Once you have some concentrated red coolant you can then follow the instructions to test your coolant strength and use the turkey baster to remove some coolant from the car before adding concentrated red coolant to restore the balance. This can be a faff as after each adjustment you will need to run the engine for a bit to circulate things.

Alternatively, drain it all and refill with the correct concentration. Especially if you have mixed colours.!

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 am 

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated. Got some distilled water to top up with and will check out the last option.
Is it a choice to get a blue coolant to continue topping up with that? If so, what’s the best type to get in the uk for this? (Haven’t used the pink at all yet thanks to the advice I’ve got here!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Rhion wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated. Got some distilled water to top up with and will check out the last option.
Is it a choice to get a blue coolant to continue topping up with that? If so, what’s the best type to get in the uk for this? (Haven’t used the pink at all yet thanks to the advice I’ve got here!)
Rhion,

It should be pink (red) and should have been red from new. I'm afraid that if you have been putting blue in it then you'll need to flush it and replace it all with a 50:50 mix of red coolant and plain water, or a ready mixed version.

There are some products that mix with everything as a possible interim, like the Prestone stuff or the cheap colourless stuff they have in Morrisons.

A coolant system flush involves draining the system (unclip bottom radiator hose or use radiator drain plug), flushing through using a hose and loads of water, doing it all back up and then refilling with the correct amount of red coolant at the correct strength.

Blue coolant has a shorter life (3 years) and is made of different stuff, your car is designed to use the long life red OAT coolant.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm 

Thanks for the feedback
Not long after getting the car, I had to get the water tank replaced (at a painful cost) and when this was done, they had added the blue coolant and gave me some to top up with. This was the only reason that used this and when I ran out as the coolant was leaving.
Will check out the Prestone stuff and in the meantime will top up with distilled water for now.
Hopefully this is OK!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Water is fine to top up. All that will happen is that the freezing point will rise, until you add silly amounts of water and dilute far it too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm 

Hi guys

Just a quick update. After filing up with distilled water (about 1/4 of a litre) about 2-3 weeks ago, the level has gone down about just under an inch, but no coolant low warning as yet - testing to see how long it takes to get to this.

Will be getting the garage to have a look in the next couple of weeks. In the menantime I have had a rattling noise coming from the left front fan, which seems to lessen when I have the in car circulation selected. Don’t know if that would have any connection to the coolant loss?