UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 900 Headliner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 pm 

Thanks for great report, it gave me the confidence to give it a go. (My 900 Jubilee Headlining had been ready for a number of years.)I managed to also remove Sun roof and also cover that as well, a little tricky but I think luck favoured the brave and it all went back all ok.So now proud owner of superb car, Anyhow thanks again .
Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Subaru Legacy GT Twin-scroll
Good job Kev, it's very satisfying to see it plush again after putting the work in isn't it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:32 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: TX T16S TTID v6 vert
attempting my headlining and rear panels today will let you know2 how it goes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: SAAB 9-5 Aero - MY2000
Awesome ... thanks! I'm just working up the courage to have a go at this job myself. I've done the door cards and the parcel shelf, so speaker shelves, C pillars and full headliner to go ... I have the added complication of a sunroof, so I'll report how I get on with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:48 pm 
UKS Addict

HEDLINING REAR PILLARS DOOR CARDS ALL COMPLETE!!! AWESOME LOOKS ABSOLUTLY WICKED AND IT WAS A DODDLE!!! NOW.................THE SUNROOF I HAVE DONE THIS TOO WAS VERY EASY BUT.....I SO STUPIDLY HAVE THE REAR SUNROOF RETAINING BOLTS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE MATERIAL DOH!!! OH WELL I WILL HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN BUT IT IS EASY HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!! SAVED ME £200 PLUS VAT FROM TRIMLL FIX IT
HEDLINING AND GLUE WAS £57.00 THE GLUE IS HIGH TEMP SO HOPEFULLY NO SAGGING MOST GLUES ARE ONLY SUFFICIENT UP TO 30C SO BE WAREY!! WILL POST PICS LATER CHEERS GUYS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:36 am 

so how much would it cost to get somebody to do it and can anybody recommend someone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:20 am 
UKS Addict

There's a chap in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire who comes recommended by my garage. I have heard the figure to be over £200 by another one of my garage's customers who decided to do the job himself.

I've just bought the bits I need from Woolies (as recommended above) ... thanks! I'm doing a foam backing first, which I hope will even out some of the dinks and whatnot from a rather enthusiastic cleaning with a wire brush. I'm changing colour, too, to black vinyl which I over-ordered to re-cover the parcel shelf, C-pillars, speaker housings and maybe the door cards (which are already black leatherette).

With regard to the sunroof aperture, I noticed from the back of the headliner that the material was proud of the headliner aperture by about 1.5". Mine was re-inforced with tape up to about 1", leaving a remaining 0.5" to tuck around the sunroof and secure with the U-section strip. I think I'll cover over the aperture completely and cut out the sunroof exactly when it's back in the car. Does that sound sensible, or should I cut out to the 1.5" overhang before re-fitting the headliner?

How to I re-cover the cloth part of the actual sunroof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Mitsi L200
Orca wrote:
I'm changing colour, too, to black vinyl which I over-ordered....

Rear louvre, black vinyl and white wheels.. you'll be getting a leopard skin steering wheel cover next - PIMP :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Shhh! Aw ... the cat is out of the bag now ... actually, I'm quite keen on gazelle hide :shock:

... I've had a look at the car without the headliner and it looks like I'll have to drop the whole sunroof cassette to get at the underside of the sunroof. Does anyone have any experience of this? If I turn chicken, I'll probably just pull the existing cloth and re-cover from the inside as much as I can see/do. With the sunroof fully closed, I can just feel the back and when open, I can get to the sides/front by popping the top of the sunroof out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:11 pm 
UKS Addict

This guide is excellent ... however, those of us with a sunroof need a little more help :wink: I have found two really good sites that deal with the issue:

http://www.fixmysaab.com/
... Under Fix My C900 ... Interior Repairs ... Check Step 3

also: http://www.silversaab.net/headliner_project/ ... stunning :shock:

Post subject: A little re-think
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Well, I've started :twisted:
I covered the parcel shelf and the speaker housings in leatherette:
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=111334

... which led me to understand that there is no way that material could be used for the c-pillar covers and the headliner.

I'm having a little re-think and hoping to source some black headliner material. Otherwise, I will use grey headliner material and try to dye it ... will that work?

Post subject: Re: A little re-think
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:06 am 
UKS Addict

Orca wrote:
Well, I've started :twisted:

I'm having a little re-think and hoping to source some black headliner material. Otherwise, I will use grey headliner material and try to dye it ... will that work?

Just up the road from you, would add that little Gothic touch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:15 pm 
see the ones I do

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:55 pm 
UKS Addict

yes there are a few gotcha you have got to look out for......

1) take all headlining furniture off and out keeping all the bits together

2) carfully dont not bend!! the headlining and take out of the car, make note of how the sunroof cut out area is attached to the roof ?? sometimes stuck with tape, some times just the trim which holds it in place (this is important as there are different size holes in the biscuit for the headlining,some the material sticks to the roof in the finishing stages and some not) i have always folded the seats down and taken it out the boot at an angle...

3) take off all old material and scrub the board with a semi stiff brush you will understand what i mean when you do this you need to take off all of the old foam backing from the board do not scrub to hard you dont want to damage the board

3.5) double check the board for splits cracks breaks etc etc chunks missing and soggy areas prone places rear windows!!!!!! front around sun visors location holes dont worry to much, if they are not too bad you can try and repair with duck tape or very thin layers of fibreglass resin(ready mixed stuff)

4) place headlining biscuit on the floor and take the rolled up headling material and place at the front of the board(sunvisors)roll back untill you reach the sunroof section and stop, fold back the material so you reveal the biscuit, (spray glue onto the material ,section by section the glue needs to be tacky on both surfaces.....)

5) now spray the glue onto the board yes use lots of this dont be shy and dont put to little on dont not soak the thing but be very generous you dont want to be doing this again anytime soon... as soon as you have sprayed the glue on place the material on to the biscuit, make sure you press firmly down on the indented areas making sure you get the correct shape! I DO NOT USE BARE FINGERS FOR THIS AS THE GLUE GETS EVERYWHERE AND NO MATTER HOW CLEAN YOUR HANDS ARE THEY DO LEAVE MARKS ON THE MATERIAL AND IT IS EASY TO WEAR THROUGH!!! USE AN OFF CUT OF MATERIAL FROM THE HEADLINING AND SMOOTH DOWN WITH THAT!

6) repeat process all the way back the board be very carful not to strech material to far as there is a pattern in it

7) the light in the centre of the board that is a little tricky but dont worry too much about it you can rectify the situation a little later on the rear sagging area please apply copius amounts of glue to this area!!! obvious reasons

8)when headlining trimming is complete you must finish it off by folding the cloth over the board and glueing to the other side try and leave about 1 inch max all around the board ( if you leave more you will accidently cover up the roof handles and when you place biscuit back into car and put all the handles back in the screws will go in to the right places but it will twist the excess fabric up and possibly tighten the material too much,crush the board and ruin the work you have done on the board)

9) the sunroof hole now depending on what type of board you have depends on how you tackle this next bit, if it is an over sized hole on the board then cut out the hole when in place and leave and inch spare all the way round the hole to allow gluing to the roof and to fold over and be glued the other side of the roof. if it is the sort that the hole in the biscuit is the same size as the hole in the sunroof then this is easy you can just trim as normal and when you place the biscuit back onto the roof the sunroof trim will hold the biscuit and material in place. so very easy

10) replace all headlining furniture and sit back and enjoy your newly refurbished headlining!!!!! i will post up about the sunroof panel when i can cheers

any questions feel free to ask

09 Turbo X #211
92 C900 T16s
08 93 vert Aero TTID
60 93 sportswagon Aero TTID

Last edited by Nate on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 pm 
UKS Addict

ok the sunroof bit.................

YOU WILL NEED TO WASH YOUR HANDS QUITE A LOT DURING THIS NEXT PROCESS AS A BIT GREASY.

1) firstly slide the roof back all the way

2) take the relevant size torx bit and undo the 4 screws faceing the back of the car on the sunroof

3) slide the roof back until it almost stops ,leave enough room for your fingers to put in,grab the sunroof panal and lift gently and pull it up and out avoiding hitting the roof with it as you go...(note little tags on each side at the back of the roof panel these are important later on for the re-fitting)

4) ok in front of you now looking from the drivers side with the door open onto the roof,there are 4 lots of fixings each with two bolts on them,the front two just undo them and remove and put somewhere safe, the rear two remove and lift the silver plates and place somewhere safe.

5) lift and slide back towards your body the nickel coloured fixings on each side at the front place with screws, now lift the rear fixings on both sides(sometimes you might require to slide the roof back just a fraction to take the strain off of the bolts) when this is done you will probably require some assistance.

6) with one person on one side of the car and one on the other grab the sunroof panel and lift slightly and pull toward the front of the car this should be about 2 inches or so maybe more it will stop anyway, at the back of the sunroof panel there are two sprung loaded fixings one each side BOTH COVERED IN GREASE each with two bolts in them undo bolts and remove fixings on both sides...(please note there are two fixings one each side very similar to the ones removed in(5) these are directly under the metal roof panel but are above the sunroof material make sure you do not get this wrong!!)

7) to remove sunroof panel lift fixings as in (5) and pull gently forward you may or may not have to remove the under fixings at the rear but not to worry too much at this stage lift roof out with help of second person...

8) with this panel in hand you will notice that it is glued in several places on the metal and you will see that the fabric is folded over and glued to itself yes this is correct!! there will be a plastic covering strip at each end of the roof panel, gently lift them off of the metal please be careful as they are very brittle, these will be stiched onto the fabric, get a sharp stanley blade and run it along the edge of the plastic cutting the stiching ,this will then make the material removal effortless,place plastic to one side.

9) with the headlining material facing the correct way place sunroof panel on the top of it spray glue one end of the metal and immediatly stick material to it then spray glue the top side of the sunroof panel (same end)and continue to stck the fabric over the lip if you see what i mean , so the fabric should go up one side and down the other.... make sure it does this and only sticks to the flat piece of metal about 5mm

10) repeat this step exactly to the other end of the roof panel, what i did is to place the freshly glued end on the floor and rest the panal on your thighs lift the panel up and suspend it by the fabric so the weight is held by the fabric, wrap the fabric as before up and over the metal lip and trim to desired length about 5mm , the fabric should be nice and taught now, loose at the sides but taught all over

11) looking down on the sunroof panel from the top again notice the areas on the sides where the glue used to be spray glue into those areas and using the same method stretch fabric over and stick fabric onto the metal, cut excess fabric away dont trim too much though just enough so you can see what your doing,there is a little square between the foam strip and the rear mounting holes put some spray glue there on both sides and stick fabric to it cut excess fabric back and glue as origional as in (8) once it looks as though it is finished get a new stanley blade and cut slits in the fabric on the metal bump bits on the side of the panel on each side let a piece of about 2 mm stick out it wont be stuck to anything this is supposed to be like this and is very important not to get wrong, the bracket that are placed directly under the spring loaded clips are placed inbetween the fabric and roof panel go through these slits put them in and replace the spring loaded fixings do not tighten up yet as they need to be adjusted when in position later.

12) with the help of second pair of hands place roof panel in the hole the same way as you took it out back end in first becarful lining up the spring fixing brackets under neath when you think these are in push fixings toward centre of the car and tighten up this is quite challenging the roof into position ish and put back on the rear metal fixing strips replace thin metal strips ont he rear fixings and replace nuts do not ighten yet make sure roof is slide fully forward and replace front fixing brackets push bracket to centre of car and tighten up repaet on other side and then tighten rear fixings.

13) turn on ignition and slowly in steps open roof checking that nothing rubs or knocks or fouls anything on its journey back once fully open close until nearly shut stop and replace sunroof lid (remember the tags these go directly under the spring flaps at the back this will indicat if you have them in the right place now!!) and replace screws on the leading edge which you will now have to find the holes (as now coverd with new material ) tighten up and now the job is complete!!!

14) ENJOY again feel free to ask questions

09 Turbo X #211
92 C900 T16s
08 93 vert Aero TTID
60 93 sportswagon Aero TTID

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:41 am 
UKS Addict

Location: Luckiest, felicitous, advantageous, adventitious, auspicious, beneficial, blessed, fortuitous fluky
Orca wrote:
This guide is excellent ... however, those of us with a sunroof need a little more help :wink: I have found two really good sites that deal with the issue:
:

The sun roof is not difficult when you have messed one up, I enter here.

You just need to remove the 4 front screws that hold the top sunroof skin in place, thens pull it forwards and it off,

you can then unbolt the belly pan that is the sunroof and undress it as your own pace,

you need a fabric that can stretch and will not sag with moisture, bingo your done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 am 
Anyone need help

For gods sake telephone me

I'd rather help someone to do the job if they don't want o spend £250 than follow some of this garbage

I mean that in the sincerest way I possibly can

01582 499777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 am 
UKS Addict

Yeah ... as well as being very skilled, as demonstrated in some of his pictures above, Steve is a purist.

If left to your own peculiar tastes, you might end up with goth black crushed velvet or punk leopard skin ... or even tasteful Houndstooth :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 am 
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

:argh:

Each to their own Paul

Have you got the site going yet?

Was in your neck of the woods last Friday.. Dewsbury met with 2 c900 owners.. well actually 3

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:07 am 
UKS Addict

Removed for GDPR#2 wrote:
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

:argh:

Quite! It's certainly "different" :corn:

Have you got the site going yet?

No ... I'm still working a few things through there.

Was in your neck of the woods last Friday.. Dewsbury met with 2 c900 owners.. well actually 3

Indeed! How could you come a raiding into WYSE territory without meeting the rest of the gang? :roll: :wink:
Next time, maybe?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next