UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Please start your project threads in ''Your Cars''. If you feel your project falls within the criteria of a Major Restoration or Project please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team. If deemed suitable it will then be moved from ''Your Cars'' to this forum. This forum is now closed to direct entries, anyone can post on threads that are already present and those moved into this forum, but they cannot start a new thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am 
Darn it, ho hum! I/we didn't expect that level of interest.

Having spoken to Martin at Jamsaab we will be moving the photos, in the next few days, to a dedicated section on his new website.
http://www.jamsaab.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am 
Photos now reinstated 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:55 pm 
Drivers seat cleaned.

Using a bath brush and 1001 carpet cleaner certainly removed any signs of grime on the velour facings. Same done to the passenger and rear seats, which will all be wrapped up and stored ready for refitting, when they will be vacuumed.

Using a bowl, small amount of cleaner and an old bath brush I started by cleaning half the seat

Half the seat completed

Finished and left to dry. Red velour :park: 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm 
Boot repair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 am 
Inner wheel arch repair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm 
Carpin' On

Car Models: SAAB 900S/GOLF GTI CLUBSPORT
Don't wrap them in plastic Dave, they will stink, you'll have to trust me on this, wrap them in an old cotton shhet instead.

Looking great and very neat repairs :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:34 pm 
Cheers Rob will unwrap and rewrap as instructed :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:11 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Saab
Great job there. Are you getting a full respray done then inside and out? With everything removed from the shell including all lof the engine bay components and windows removed etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 am 
Hi Craig,

Everything but the engine bay as this really does not need it, (UPDATE: ENGINE IS NOW TO BE REMOVED) though some individual items that have tarnished will be replated. The plan is to return the car to as good original standard as possible. Martin is even replicating the soundproofing (it is like a thick tar sheet) in areas where the original metal has been cut out.

I was over there on Friday collecting my 9000 and he is progressing nicely. Happy for anyone who may be passing to drop off at JamSAAB and have a look for themselves, though best check with Martin first.

One slight 'modification' I have completed is the rear lights. For some reason SAAB made the rear lights in black plastic, inserting the reflectors as seperate items. Now the reversing lights on a 99 were never good, so I decided to mask and spray some chrome enamel paint in to those areas where the bulb sits on a black background. The paint certainly isn't 'chrome' but it is far more reflective than a normal silver spray. This should improve the brightness not only of the reversing lights but also the additional lights, including the number plate bulbs.

Here are a couple of afters and befores :wink:

Last edited by Naranto on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Saab 99
That light mod is a nice little tip. Did you prime the plastic before using the chrome enamel?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 am 
No, just a quick rub over with some fine sandpaper, wipe down with a cleaner such as lighter fluid, mask & spray. The spray can be found at Halfords.
Also resprayed a 9000 headlamp as a test and must say it looks the part

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:26 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Is that the plasticote chrome spray by anychance?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: saab 9000 carlsson
Its not bad the modern chrome paint as we did test it for our refurbished units but unfortunately we couldn't get the correct beam pattern with it but its ideal for your application. Looks like jamsaab is making an excellent job of the restoration.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 am 
McVities, Halfords own enamel chrome spray.

Mark, all I did was very lightly sand the surface and clean out the beam pattern ridges with an old tooth brush, then wiped everything over with lighter fluid to get rid of any residual grease.

Front bumper

Not as corroded as the rear bumper so all that needed repainting were the end plates. The centre plate cleaned up well with just a wipe over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am 
The wheels on the 99T were refurbished a few years ago and with new tyres which have completed under a 100 miles since fitting, so I was reluctant to have them completely refurbished as the faces still looked good and free from blemishes since the last time they were restored. The back of the wheels however could be improved.

Treatment: Wonderwheels, pressure washed, rubbed down and given two coats of silver enamel paint to the centres.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Dave, are you going to polish the copper inside the wiring loom next. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:06 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 99T
Martin is even replicating the soundproofing (it is like a thick tar sheet) in areas where the original metal has been cut out.
I have been wondering about this, how you would replicate. The original saab underseal is superb [did it have any rust inhibitor?], but what modern day product will you use. the nearest I have come up with is spray on seam sealer, but you need special gun to dispense from the tube

I was thinking a similar exercise on the rear lights, but would spray all of the plastic inside gloss white, hopefully to reflect any stray light [or could that work against me?

Great job

rob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 pm 
Copper wire polishing is on my list of things to do - now get back to that wiring loom Paul :lol: :park:

Well after a visit to Jamsaab last week most of the bodywork has been completed. The front drivers side (below the water bottle) was definately the worst area - this was that largest single area to be cut out. Martin with his magic hammer and forme has hand made replacement panels.

(For Rob) :wink: Work is also complete on the boot which has had original sound proofing felt cut out from another car, heated and fitted to maintain the orginal look. The boot area will be resprayed.

REAR LIGHT INFO: Rob, for the inside of the rear lights I used Halfords chrome silver - see an earlier post :wink:

We have decided that as we have gone this far, to drop the engine out of the car. This will give Martin access to the drive shaft tunnels, which are notorious for collecting rot. Not only does it mean the engine will get a thorough check over but this will help all the other bits such as the suspension arms which will be grit blasted, powder coated and fitted with new bushes from JamSAAB parts store.

Last edited by Naranto on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 am 
Window trim.

Having removed the trim I also decided to separate the window seal, which is pinched in to the frame, for cleaning. The picture shows how dirty the felt trim gets, despite what I thought was regular cleaning over the years.

Once dry the seal was treated to some silicone spray to keep it soft.

The frames were sanded back and given a few coats of 'Extra Tough' enamel paint from Simonize as these trims can chip quite easily.
Window trim on the 2 door 99T is in black, not silver as found on the 3 or 5 door models.

Spray booth!

All finished. As these items are fragile they have been bubble wrapped and put somewhere safe - high up on the garage wall :)

Last edited by Naranto on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
Door kick panels

Fortunately I have only two! Very little to do here other than a light rub down and some coats of the extra tough spray paint. There are a few dings from the past 30 years of use, but with a bit of careful rubbing down, the original textured finish remained.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next