UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 am 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Magrew wrote:
Your paint skills are impressive, are you self taught?

Thank you. Yes, self taught and always learning through many, many mistakes!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 pm 
Active user

Didn't get a chance to work on the car for over a week but yesterday and today I wet sanded and polished the tailgate, the sunroof lid and the roof of the car. This was a bit of a learning curve for me as the first 2 panels were relatively freshly painted with nice soft paint, but the roof was painted in 2016 so the paint was very well cured indeed! When I painted the roof in 2016 I got loads of dust in the clear coat due to poor masking, and some way down the line I had de-nibbed it but never attempted to polish it. I had considered re-lacquering the panel but thought I would give the polishing a go first. Anyway, I'm very happy to say that the end result of all 3 panels was perfect and the last job I did today was to re-fit the tailgate to the car ready for re-building and fitting the glass.
For those interested, the way I did the polishing of the panels was as follows: For both the sunroof and the tailgate I used my trusty 2000 grit block: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312026403142 to gently remove the dust specks using plenty of water, and when flattened I went straight to my DA sander with 3M Trizact 1500 grit pads, again wet to remove any residual lumpy-ness. Next, I changed to Trizact 3000 grit and gave both panels a good smoothing over until the 1500 grit scratches were gone. Finally I upped to the 6000 grit Trizact and afterwards used my Roar 610 compound on my orbital polisher to bring up a mirror shine. I left it at that, but when the job is complete I will do a full DA polish to remove any swirl marks etc.
For the roof of the car with the rock solid clear coat I basically did the same process, but for much longer! I initially tried the 1500 grit Trizact, but found the swirl marks cut in to the paint were extremely hard to remove with the 3000 grit, so I opted to use 2000 grit wet and dry by hand to do the first step of levelling, followed by the same steps as used on the other 2 panels. Anyway, it was probably about 6 or 7 hours work total, but definitely worth it. In future I will know to do any corrective work like this around 4-5 days after painting as it is sooo much easier when the paint is still slightly soft, also, I will probably try to get a 2000 grit Trizact pad for the initial sage of the work as the 1500 grit is really quite aggressive and tends to leave pigtails and deep cuts in the paint.
Out of interest, when I painted the car in 2016 I did no paint correction at the time simply due to having no experience or decent knowledge of the process, but the off the gun finish I achieved then was more than adequate to pretty much leave it as it is. I will however have to deal with around 20 small dust nibs that are in that paint, but that should be no problem!
Here's some pics of during and after:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
Ooocha :shock:

Great stuff.

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Angus.... A MAAAZE ZING

:envy:

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:56 am 
Active user

Stig wrote:
Ooocha :shock:

Great stuff.

Cheers! It's finally starting to look very nice now!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
Angus.... A MAAAZE ZING

Appreciated! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 T16 2dr
I’m liking the wet look Angus, well done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 am 
Active user

Ian Law senior wrote:
I’m liking the wet look Angus, well done.

Thanks. It's just nice to finally feel that I am close to getting this finished!
How's your red car going? Perfectly I hope?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
So I take it you eat your dinner off it now?! :mrgreen: :lol:

Looking great and noted down what you did to bring the shine up, guess some would say therapeutic to do that but maybe not the elbow grease haha

Looking forward to getting it near the finishing line :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 pm 
Active user

Toe wrote:
So I take it you eat your dinner off it now?! :mrgreen: :lol:

Looking great and noted down what you did to bring the shine up, guess some would say therapeutic to do that but maybe not the elbow grease haha

Looking forward to getting it near the finishing line :)

Thank very much! Yes, polishing is very time consuming but always worth it if the result is a mirror finish!

I too am also very much looking forward to getting the final touches done. The last thing I managed was to get the tailgate back together, (lights, lock, handles, number plate surround and even the number plate) but finished off struggling to get one of the rear fog lights to work - seems there is a bad contact at the bulb, so i might need to look out a spare bulb holder or something.

Next time I'm at the workshop it will be to get the rear screen back in, followed by the fitting of the whaletail. The final part of the job will then commence which will be re-trimming all interior cloth covered parts and getting the interior back in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1992 900i, 1984 T16S “Snufkin”
Angus wrote:
Toe wrote:
The final part of the job will then commence which will be re-trimming all interior cloth covered parts and getting the interior back in.

Looking great! Next job is going to be fun. And very different to paint.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 am 
Active user

Angus wrote:
struggling to get one of the rear fog lights to work - seems there is a bad contact at the bulb, so i might need to look out a spare bulb holder or something.

Well, not sure how I didn't see what was wrong straight away, but the wiring for rear fogs is just for the drivers side, the necessary live cable for the passenger side is missing on purpose from the factory! Half an hour wasted there! All rear lights now functional.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:01 am 
Active user

Dr Rock wrote:
Angus wrote:
Toe wrote:
The final part of the job will then commence which will be re-trimming all interior cloth covered parts and getting the interior back in.

Looking great! Next job is going to be fun. And very different to paint.

Indeed! I have been secretly dreading the re-trimming part of this job but no way out of it now! Fingers crossed it will turn out presentable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:33 pm 
Active user

Got stuck back in to this today and got the windscreen and whaletail spoiler fitted. I used some sikaflex to secure the whaletail in place on top of some screws, so it will be nice and solidly attached to the car when cured. The rear screen fitting was an absolute dawdle - I put the screen back in its seal first, then used the string technique to get the whole thing back in the aperture. That took all of 5 minutes, but getting the sealing strip fitted to the outside of the seal took longer, about 30 minutes, but it was easy enough as well. I might have been lucky with getting the screen perfectly centralised before fitting, or maybe they are just quite easy to do, either way, I'm happy!
One final job was to fit the painted rocker cover to the engine.
Pics:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm 
Active user

Got some more work done today - finished off the tailgate adding the high level brake light and the trim cover etc, and also, quite excitedly I got the car out of the shed for a short test drive; confirming that all systems were working but found a few minor issues to deal with too. The test drive (approx 2 miles) went very well, the suspension feels great - very nice and solid, the steering was fine, the engine pulled perfectly and all gear changes (up to 5th) were very smooth etc. The turbo was boosting as it should, but I didn't push it too much due to the road I was driving on. One issue found during the drive was a slight shudder noticed when first putting the engine under load at lowish revs in any gear, I'm thinking driveshaft, but it's way too early to diagnose really. Anyway, the brakes were really excellent too, surprisingly good seeing as this was the first time they had been tested since fitting them years ago, and it was nice to clear the surface corrosion from them! The other issue was noticed when I got the car back home and off the ground again - it appears to have a small oil leak from the turbo return pipe on the block, at least that is where the oil was seemingly seeping from, so that will need to be addressed as well - it's a very small leak, but it needs fixed. I guess there will be quite a number of other niggles to fix the more the car gets used, but this was a pretty good start.
The other point of note is that the car is riding a lot higher than expected on the suspension. I had fitted a brand new set of 'Kilen' 30mm lowering springs and was always aware that the car was sitting pretty high when it was in the workshop. I was expecting it might settle over time, but it has remained steadily at the same height. I was also hoping that it might lower after getting driven a bit, but that's not made much of a difference either, so it will be something else to consider possibly swapping out in the future. My personal preference with a Saab 900 is considerably lower than this car currently sits, and all of my previous 900's have probably had around 1/2" from the top of the wheel to the wheel arch, but on this one its closer to 2", maybe more. So, I will think about fitting some different springs in future if there is no drop after a few hundred miles of driving.
Today was fun, however there is still a fair bit to do before the car does hit the road (or MOT station to be precise) and today I gathered up all of the remaining interior parts and trims that will need cleaning, preparing and re-trimming. Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to select the best pieces and start work on them.
Here's some pics from today with the car outside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
Looks stunning Angus, you must be really chuffed with that!!
I have seen the inner driver cups worn causing a 'wide open throttle shudder"at low revs It's a bit of a faff but they can be swapped side for side, you probably know that already! just watch the shims!! I think the rally boys also get problems with them splaying so take off the thin tin outer ring and fit a steel collar..
eagerly awaiting updates!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:15 pm 
Active user

ianlaw wrote:
Looks stunning Angus, you must be really chuffed with that!!
I have seen the inner driver cups worn causing a 'wide open throttle shudder"at low revs It's a bit of a faff but they can be swapped side for side, you probably know that already! just watch the shims!! I think the rally boys also get problems with them splaying so take off the thin tin outer ring and fit a steel collar..
eagerly awaiting updates!

Thanks very much! Yes, quite happy but my OCD is twitching with a few things like wheel choice / colour and ride height - I think both are going to have to get changed before I am completely happy with how it looks. I have a selection of other wheels but all need re-painted before I could consider fitting them. There are a few other small tweaks that need done like adjusting the position of the outer rear lights, and a small adjustment to the bonnet and the latch on the drivers door, otherwise I am delighted.
Good advice about the inner drivers. I was pretty sure that is what it would have been as I have had the same issue with numerous other high mileage cars I have owned over the years, so I will check them over some time soon. I have a couple of spare gearboxes in the shed so will probably do my usual and select the best quality parts out of what I have to hopefully fix the problems. Regardless, the car needs a good drive to get everything up and running properly, and my short spin today has given me the boost to get it completed as quickly as I can to do just that!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
That look very nice outside Angus, I can see some Uksaabs calendar pics here..
Oh yer front number plates fell off :lol:

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
That look very nice outside Angus, I can see some Uksaabs calendar pics here..
Oh yer front number plates fell off :lol:

Ha ha, cheers! Yes, I noticed after my 'test drive' that I had forgotten to fit the front plate!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 pm 
Active user

Fitted the front number plate surround and plate today and sorted through the interior panels to select the best ones to re-furbish.
Next I removed the remaining material from the best roof lining panel, then used the hoover and a brush to remove all of the remaining foam material. This was surprisingly easy and quite fun to do, so I repeated the same on the other panels as well. After that I started repairs on the roof panel, glueing the damaged material with PVA, then I painted around 3 litres of slightly diliuted PVA in to the panel to add some extra strength and also to give a good base for the roof lining adhesive to grab on to. It was amazing how quickly the panel absorbed the glue!
In all I need to re-line the roof panel, the sunroof panel cover, the door card panels and finally the rear quarter panels. I'm hoping I have enough material!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next