UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
[quote="Angus"] I grabbed a snap of the car at ground level and think it looks pretty nice in green and black!
Agreed :P

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:35 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Stig wrote:
Angus wrote:
I grabbed a snap of the car at ground level and think it looks pretty nice in green and black!
Agreed :P

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 pm 
Active user

Still making progress albeit rather slowly. I had hoped to begin painting the last items to fit on the car, but with temps outside around 0°C and not a lot warmer in my shed I have put that job on hold for the moment. I can get my spray room up to around 18°C which is a good temperature, but as soon as I turn on the extraction the temp drops quickly to ambient in under 5 minutes, so not ideal. I think I will attempt painting some stuff without the extraction running, but chances are visibility will be zero after a few minutes spraying!
Anyway, in the past few days I gathered up the remaining interior plastic trims and soon realised more work was required, other than just cleaning and fitting stuff. The door cards were looking very rough and the metal strips at the top of them was rusty, also one of them had a burst door pocket. I have stripped them down and intend to spray them with vinyl paint to freshen them up. I have a spare set of cards, so will make a good pair out of them. Next, I cleaned up a pile of the remaining plastic / vinyl items. Some if this will get painted, some will remain as it is.
Today I spent around 5 hours putting an exhaust together to fit to the car. I thought the one I had temporarily fitted a few years back was OK, but when I checked it today the rear silencer was utterly rotten, beyond repair, so I went through my spares and found an old power-flow silencer. This needed the pipes welding on both ends of it as some time on the past the welds had failed, so out came the welder to make it back in to one piece. The other headache is that the flared pipe end on this silencer was squashed and it took ages to get it opened out enough to fit adequately to the car. After that was done I attempted to fit 3 different tailpipes I had. The first one was way too short so no good, the next was OK but very rusty, then I found my 'Carlsson' style twin tailpipe one. I spent some time cleaning iut up and polishing the ends then had great fun trying to get it to fit. Again the flared end on the pipe was squashed and a good hour or more was spent opening it up again with me having to resort to the grinder to open it up enough.
Final result is a complete exhaust system. The front part is genuine Saab from downpipe, through CAT and for the next 2 feet, then after that it is stainless. After the car has it's first MOT I will probably remove the downpipe and CAT and fit a stainless section from my spares.
Here's some pics, again pretty boring, just parts, but a few at the end of the completed exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Viggen
Looking good, looks as if she will see the road this summer and we’ll donw with the build as it’s as stunn8ng as ever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:22 pm 
Active user

Donnie wrote:
Looking good, looks as if she will see the road this summer and we’ll donw with the build as it’s as stunn8ng as ever

Fingers crossed, it's been far too long up until now and I can't wait to finally drive the thing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm 
Active user

Still been plodding on with this and in the last week or so managed to get my painting completed. To sum up, I got all of the satin black pieces done (front door window trims, rear window trims and frames, sill covers etc etc) and after that I completed all of the metallic black items (wheels, wheel arch trims, grille, valve cover etc) and I also lacquered the numerplate surround - this looks nice now and the damaged area will be 100% covered with the number plate.
Today, after finishing painting I madeup some rear 'mud flaps' to secure the Carlsson bumper better and hopefully to help keep the underside of the car a bit cleaner.
I didn't take photos of many of the painted items (indeed, none of the satin black items) but grabbed some today of the shiny ones after doing the lacquering.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Oh very nice and blingy Angus.. excellent paint job, like it lots..

Focus B234
Focus ST336
8 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
Looks great Angus !
Could I lend you my C900 for a year or two :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 pm 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
Oh very nice and blingy Angus.. excellent paint job, like it lots..

Thanks, getting quite excited to get these pieces on the car now. I thought about fitting the arch mouldings etc today but decided that it was best to give the paint another 24hrs to cure to save causing any damage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:49 pm 
Active user

Webby wrote:
Looks great Angus !
Could I lend you my C900 for a year or two :mrgreen:

Ha ha. No! I think after I get this car done I will take a break from Saab restoration for a while :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:47 pm 
Active user

Well, another update. In the past few days I have painted the interior trim panels with an absolutely excellent acrylic spray paint and they are now black. In the past I have used Plastidip for things like this but found it to be very expensive, around £10 a can. I posted a pic of the stuff I used this time - it was only £1 a can and I used 12 cans to give 2 coats of paint to all of these panels. The cans are only 200ml but give great coverage and last surprisingly well. The finish is identical to Plastidip and I see no reason why it should not be even more robust as it is designed for upholstery, leather and vinyl surfaces.
Anyway, today I fitted the wheel arch mouldings followed by fitting the wheels and then securing the lower door part of the bodykit with rivets. Finally I started fitting window seals and the exterior trims on the front doors and got the glass ready to fit. I have Autoglass coming to refit the front and rear screens on the 13th, so want to get the rest of the exterior done before then.
I also re-assembled the grille ready to fit on the car. I just need to add the small Saab badge and a 'turbo' badge to this to finish it off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:47 pm 
Active user

Well, another update. In the past few days I have painted the interior trim panels with an absolutely excellent acrylic spray paint and they are now black. In the past I have used Plastidip for things like this but found it to be very expensive, around £10 a can. I posted a pic of the stuff I used this time - it was only £1 a can and I used 12 cans to give 2 coats of paint to all of these panels. The cans are only 200ml but give great coverage and last surprisingly well. The finish is identical to Plastidip and I see no reason why it should not be even more robust as it is designed for upholstery, leather and vinyl surfaces.
Anyway, today I fitted the wheel arch mouldings followed by fitting the wheels and then securing the lower door part of the bodykit with rivets. Finally I started fitting window seals and the exterior trims on the front doors and got the glass ready to fit. I have Autoglass coming to refit the front and rear screens on the 13th, so want to get the rest of the exterior done before then.
I also re-assembled the grille ready to fit on the car. I just need to add the small Saab badge and a 'turbo' badge to this to finish it off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
Wow Angus,
you put us normal people to shame, the work you have done is just immense.
You really are a inspiration to how hard work pays off.
Really big credit to you.
You most have spent hundreds of hours on this car, I wish I had the time
but most of all the inclination to do such a huge project, totally blown away.
Kind regards Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:01 am 
Active user

databar wrote:
Wow Angus,
you put us normal people to shame, the work you have done is just immense.
You really are a inspiration to how hard work pays off.
Really big credit to you.
You most have spent hundreds of hours on this car, I wish I had the time
but most of all the inclination to do such a huge project, totally blown away.
Kind regards Pete.

Thank you very much! It's been a learning curve, I can tell you that for sure, but it's also mostly been fun too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:56 pm 
Active user

Todays work was to fit the little Saab badge to the grille :), then move on to fit the glass to both sides of the car. Quite fiddly work but the end result was very nice and made me feel happier than ever with my colour choice for this car. I also fitted new window scrapers for the drivers and passenger doors as the old ones were un-usable. It was great to still find a supplier that sells these parts!
I also had to swap out the switch pack for the electric windows with a spare as the passenger door switch on the original one was intermittent.
Next up, I am going to paint then fit the wing mirrors and I will be able to build up the inside of the doors after that.
Today I also decided that the tailgate will need re-painted, so that will delay the completion somewhat. Somehow in the 2.5 years since I painted that panel either a reaction under the paint or perhaps simply buried corrosion has started to surface on the lower edge just above the lights. Currently it is around 30-40 small blisters but they are quite noticeable on a close inspection. I thought about leaving it but as the rest of the car is so perfect I feel the only way forward is a re-paint, but it's not a huge deal, just a few hours prepping and masking, then get it repainted. I do however need to order some more paint for that as I have close to none of the green paint!
Anyway, here's todays pictures. Iwill add some pictures next time of the blisters on the tailgate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm 
Active user

Another update!
A couple of weeks back I had arranged with my local windscreen company to re-fit the front glass in the car, but to cut a long and painful story short they were extremely unhelpful and disorganised and 2 days before they were due to come they refused to do the job on the basis that it was not going to be worth their while! Thanks a bunch, eh? Why they had agreed in the first place is beyond me. Also, they were going to charge £90+VAT for the job.
So, I bit the bullet and decided to have a go at fitting it myself. I had deliberately avoided doing this job as the last 2 times I attempted to fit and remove glass from a car I damaged / smashed it, and I didn't want a repeat of that. Thankfully on this occasion I had no problems and the glass popped in without issue. It took much longer to fit the securing strip and corner pieces than it took to get the glass in the seal but I'm happy to say it looks perfect. Unfortunately, as the screen is at least 12 years old the glass has many small chips on it and had 4 pretty big ones but I managed to make them mostly disappear with a glass repair kit I had. For info, to fit the glass I first fitted the seal to the aperture, then placed the glass in at the bottom centre first then slowly worked the lip of the seal over the glass using a plastic trim tool. To be honest it was pretty simple really, and thankfully the seal was very supple which must have helped. It actually took less than 10 minutes to get the glass in! I didn't use any sealant when fitting the screen but ordered some for future use in case there are any leaks anywhere, but I would be surprised if there were due to how tight it all went together.
After the glass was in I fitted the wing mirrors.
With the glass fitted yesterday, today I cracked on with fixing the corrosion issues on the tailgate. As previously mentioned I had found many small blisters at the lower external section of this and could see no way to disguise / repair them without giving the whole panel a fresh coat of paint, and today when I thoroughly inspected the tailgate I found that there were corrosion blisters around the screen aperture, and upon removing the lights and lock I found more around and under them too. There were also a few areas inside that needed attention as well. After thinking about it for a minute I decided it would be quicker and easier to just whip off the tailgate and give it a sandblast, moving the car safely away from the dust etc. So I did that, and after about 3 hours work I had the tailgate in the booth ready for sanding and many coats of epoxy primer!
For info, I believe the corrosion issues on the tailgate were a result of the way I had prepared this panel before I initially re-painted it 2 years ago. Looking at my old photos it appears that after I had initially sand blasted it I then treated it with Phosphoric acid, but left it on for a few days before moving on to fill / prime etc. It appears that a fresh surface corrosion had built up on the bare metal parts (that I just epoxy primed over without further treatment) and it seems like this was the reason for the blisters forming. Thankfully the rest of the cat is spot on, no issues at all, and with luck the tailgate will be perfect this time round too. I will lose around 12 hours as a result of the re-do of this panel, but it will be worth it in the end.
Here's some pics!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14