UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1992 900S Renovation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 T16S vert & 1992 T16S
Donnie wrote:
My favourite build and car. Keep it up and maybe one day see it in the flesh.

Thanks very much indeed! I still hope to get the car completed before the end of this year but every time I try to get stuck back in to it another project of job appears! I shouldn't complain really, but at the same time wish I had got it completed years ago!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm 
Active user

Well, another long period of time has passed but finally got to do some more to this car. Current project is to restore the bodykit. At present I have gone through the huge pile of bodykit parts I had, selected the best condition components, then deep cleaned them and carried out some initial repairs. All of these parts are are 25+ years old but are actually in pretty good condition. A few components will need a touch of fiberglass and filler repair before I prep them for painting, but it should be easy enough. I will be painting all of the parts on the Audi ebony black pearlescent metallic, same as the roof of the car. I also started re-furbing the rear number plate surround and whale tail spoiler. Both were in poor condition, but should look pretty perfect when I am finished with them....

Last edited by Angus on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:54 pm 
Active user

Well, today I finally got the bodykit painting completed. Everything is now a very shiny ebony black colour. There was a lot of prep work, very time consuming, but the end result makes it worthwhile. Not much of interest to report with the repair / painting process, so I will let the pictures do the talking.

Next step is to fit the fixing rails for the kit to the body of the car, then go about installing everything. I fitted the front bumper (as can be seen in the pics) but this will come off again so I can add the lower part to in and finally the splitter. Oh, that's right, I purchased a brand new front splitter as the old one was in a poor condition. I felt quite lucky to be able to still get brand new parts for this car so easily!

Last edited by Angus on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:14 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Oooh very nice Angus.... it's going to look excellent..

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm 
Active user

Car 55 wrote:
Oooh very nice Angus.... it's going to look excellent..

Thanks Buddy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4
Great stuff . . . .looking good :P

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Very nice 8) :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am 
Active user

Thank you Gents!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 T16 2dr
I'm liking the wet look Angus, well done, how come you don't get any dirt among it? even though my shed is spotless I still get dirt in it.

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 pm 
Active user

Ian Law senior wrote:
I'm liking the wet look Angus, well done, how come you don't get any dirt among it? even though my shed is spotless I still get dirt in it.

Ian

Thanks Ian! I do still get the odd nib in the paint, but not too many. I think the key is completely soaking the booth walls and floor with water from a watering can and wearing a proper painters coverall helps. I also soak both sides of the air filters in the booth before painting too, but not sure if that is required.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:03 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Viggen
All is quiet, how’s the car taking shape as I looking forward to seeing her done

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm 
Active user

Donnie wrote:
All is quiet, how’s the car taking shape as I looking forward to seeing her done

Hi Donnie. Sadly I have not found any time since my last update to do any more than charge the battery and give the engine a run. I will however definitely get this project finished as soon as I can as it has run ridiculously overdue! I will update this as soon as I get back in to it. I see I will need to update my pictures again as well as they appear to have disappeared.
All the best, Angus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:59 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Viggen
Happy to see she is still alive as you have put a lot into her and she will be worth it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm 
Active user

Well, after another year I am resurrecting this project again!!!! How many times has that been?? Anyway. I sorted through all of the remaing bits to fit to the car and in the last couple of days got the side skirts fitted. Photos to follow as I forgot to takemy camera to the workshop.

Also, I updated the links to all of the photos in the thread again, so hopefully you can see them again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Perfect Angus.. Can't wait..

Focus B234
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Coming along nicely 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:16 pm 
Active user

As promised, here are my newest snaps. The 3 side skirt panels are currently secured on each side at the top only, I will secure the lower fixings tomorrow hopefully and get them nicely levelled off and lined up. I used some tiger-seal at the tops of these panels as I could not quite get them to fit snugly through normal adjustments. From memory (I have fitted 3 aero kits in the distant past) these Aero side panels have always been a bit of a nightmare to fit as the factory securing method is very poor indeed, especially when compared to methods used on more modern cars. Ideally they should be screwed in place from the inside, or have a better external securing method than the standard rails, but I suppose they always end up looking OK if plenty of care is taken when fitting them. Anyway, after working on the side skirts I added the lower parts to the front bumper which is now complete. Next I fitted the steel rear bumper brackets on to the car followed by fitting the centre rubber buffer with some tiger seal. Finally I refitted the (previously chrome, now black) trim to the front wing aero kit piece ready to fit to the car.

Tomorrows job(s) will be to rivet, bolt and secure the side skirts in place, then fit the front wing pieces to both sides and hopefully fit the rear bumper too. I need to make some small steel brackets to secure the Carlsson rear bumper to the inner rear wheel arches as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 pm 
Active user

Well, got another full day done on the car today. It was slow going and not much fun working in +1°C in my workshop but I got the Aero kit installation 90% completed. The rear Carlsson bumper took a lot of figuring out how to get it secured properly and level etc but in the end it is pretty close to spot on. I had the bumper only, no securing pieces, so I used some rubber pieces and small steel straps riveted to the bumper to secure it to the inner arch area. I might add another piece of rubber to act as a mudflap later but will need to get a hold of some rubber first. The other parts fitted OK but to get everything perfectly level and even took a fair bit of work. The final thing to be done is to rivet the door pieces to the bottom of the doors, oh, and not forgetting i also need to get the wheel arch mouldings secured.... I'm sure that will be a challenge in itself and I think a lot of tiger-seal will be used there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 pm 
Active user

Not the most productive day, only managed to fit in a couple of hours late in the afternoon with the intention to get the wheel arch mouldings fitted. Unfortunately this did not go to plan as the arches I had prepared to fit on to the car would not fit adequately, the reason being they were a set that were fitted to special edition Saab 900 I used to own and were meant to look like Carlsson arches, however were designed to fit a standard (non Aero or Carlsson) front and rear bumper, and were also designed to fit a car without the side skirts. Many years ago I modified these to fit the side skirts I fitted to that car, and I had hoped they would fit this car with the Aero front bumper attachment and Carlsson rear bumper, however it was never going to work as the entire design was different and they would not line up of fill the gaps properly. Actually, the front ones could have fit with a little cutting, but the rears were miles off, so, I resorted to 'Plan B'! Many years ago I bought a set of polished stainless steel wheel arch mouldings and never used them, and up until today they sat on a shelf in my shed. After checking them over and finally biting the bullet and chopping them to fit I am happy to say that they fit pretty well, indeed as they are not as large or wide as the Carlsson style ones I was hoping to fit I feel they look better. After the cutting to size etc I did a test fit and took some pics. They need more work, mostly adjusting (cutting and bending) the inner portion of them to get them to fit snugger to the arch and remove the risk of tyre rubbage, then after that they will need de-burred and finally I will need to paint them black to match the rest of the pieces. I have a small pile of stuff accumulating to get painted, so they will go on that pile! Anyway, here's todays pics of the dummy fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm 
Active user

Few more hours put in today. I adjusted the tops of the front bumper extensions so that they no longer protrude out any further than the new wheel arch mouldings, then I modified the wheel arch mouldings to allow them to fit level and secure under their own weight, and finally spent my remaining time today going through my spare part piles and gathering up (hopefully) the last remaining items to complete the exterior of the car. I moved some of these items in to the spray booth to begin prepping them for paint.
Separately I laid out the seals for the front and rear windscreens. Very soon I am going to organise a window fitter to get these back in as it is not something I am comfortable doing - I've tried both removing and fitting screens in the past and the results were broken glass, so definitely one to leave to the experts!
Today's pics are pretty dull but I grabbed a snap of the car at ground level and think it looks pretty nice in green and black!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next