UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Please start your project threads in ''Your Cars''. If you feel your project falls within the criteria of a Major Restoration or Project please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team. If deemed suitable it will then be moved from ''Your Cars'' to this forum. This forum is now closed to direct entries, anyone can post on threads that are already present and those moved into this forum, but they cannot start a new thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:04 pm 
UKS Addict

I am writing this thread as a way of shaming myself into finally getting on with this beasty.

Waaaaay back at the start of 2011 I had the great idea of building a car with two friends to compete in the PPC £999 challenge. The idea was genius and between the three of us even had the potential to be finished (just) in time: Get an e30 touring for it's light weight and RWD, add some Saab turbo power for easy power, strip all the interior out for maximum fun and go racing!

The dream:

The plan:

The reality:

As is far too often the case with these things a liberal dose of life got in the way. We went to the PPC challenge, but in something that had always had a Saab engine in, great fun but with more than a touch of sadness not to be there in our E30.

The car was put to one side. Parties happened, work happened, holidays happened, the house and garage were demolished and re-built, other cars came and went with some staying and adding to the fleet, a baby arrived and now this Lock-down. If this doesn't give me the motivation to get started on it again, nothing will.

For almost all of the last nine years the car has stayed inside in the dry with it only being outside for one winter whilst the house was built and for short periods in the summer when the Westfield came to stay. This has, at least, looked after the rust side of the body. It is far from being an immaculate example though - perfect for a track car.

In the old garage:

As she currently sits:

Wondering where her garage went:

Wondering whether she was going in the skip:

Contemplating becoming a toboggan:

The new garage being made:

The engine is in. Mounts and sump made and fitted. But a long way off running:

Exhaust is made and fitted:

Loads still to do. Highlights are, in no particular order:

Fit custom made wiring loom
Fit custom made driveshaft
Find and fit fuel and oil lines
Mount oil cooler
Find and fit an intercooler
Get the clutch working with the Omega gearbox
Change the springs and shocks
Bolt down the seats or find some other ones
Change the brakes
Raise the bonnet to allow for the taller engine

+ many many other things along the way. This ain't going to be ready by next week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:52 am 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Good lord - just how many cars do you have!?

Looks a bloomin' awesome project

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:05 pm 
UKS Addict

brooklands wrote:
Good lord - just how many cars do you have!?

Looks a bloomin' awesome project

Seven :) Sadly a lack of space and time dictates that’s it for the moment.

It’s because of the others that this one keeps getting put to the back of the list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Looks like it has great potential 8)
A possible solution for the oil cooler is to tap the oil filter housing to take AN fittings....... should make sorting lines a lot more simple.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:55 am 
UKS Addict

Thank you for the interest, should be fun if and when I ever finish it. Apologies that it won't be a quick build!

I made a start this week with the wiring loom, the ECU and sorting out the engine mounts.

First off I sat down with the wiring loom that I had for it with my lovely assistant to work out what wires on the E30 loom I needed to cut into.

This link was very useful: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.php/C101

I had decided to put the ECU and Saab loom in the space where the E30s blower motor used to sit as it won't be needing that any more. Should package it quite neatly out of the way but easily accessible for future mapping.

As the car had been sitting waiting to be completed for so long the engine mounts that were originally made had got quite a bit of surface rust. While I was getting on with working out the ECU and wiring I took one mount off at a time and treated, primed and painted them.

When both mounts were done I jiggled the engine around and got it sitting perfectly on both mounts for the first time which was very satisfying. Annoyingly I could not find my electrical connectors so had to leave the wiring there for the day and instead got under the car and test fitted the shifter which seems like it should work.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 pm 
Active user

Car Model: B204 powered BMW E30
Nice build.

After it sitting on the drive for 3.5 years, I started on my B204 powered E30 touring just before xmas.

Cool to see it has a sister build out there.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
If (when?) the omega box goes pop I make adapter plate kits to fit BMW gearboxes to the B2*4 engines if it's of any help.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Goodluckmonkey wrote:
Nice build.

After it sitting on the drive for 3.5 years, I started on my B204 powered E30 touring just before xmas.

Cool to see it has a sister build out there.

Excellent stuff. It's great to be putting Saab power to RWD use. And I think the e30 touring is one of the nicest looking estates out there. Reckon you'll be up and running a long time before me though!

Nelliem wrote:
If (when?) the omega box goes pop I make adapter plate kits to fit BMW gearboxes to the B2*4 engines if it's of any help.
Mark

Ha! I'm afraid you're probably right. Was at the Retro rides gathering last summer and witnessed it happen to a Scimitar on the start line. Wish I'd known about the adapters when I started as I've had the prop shaft made up now. May well need to change and go for a BM 'box later though so thank you very much for the heads up. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:07 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Duly bookmarked. Would love a really tidy road going version of something like this for a daily. One day...