UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Due to the number of topics within the previous Project forum we apologise for not being able to filter all topics to the relevant new forum. Please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team should you feel your topic falls within the remit of the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.
Your request will be reviewed by the team and, if deemed suitable, moved to the new ''Restorations & Major Projects'' forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm 
Active user

Car Model: og 93 aero coupe stage 3
Hi all,

This project started with another project, that sadly, went to a dead end.

Last year I bought a og 93 aero coupe in silver. That car was my first saab and I am going to remember it forever. She gave me lots of joy every day even commuting into the A14 (good joke).

Mechanical wise I drove almost 15k miles without issues. Even better performance when I noobed the car with a stage 3 (cheers Karl). I was so happy that I started to plan a complete restoration. The plan was simple but not easy: remove all the rust from the body and underneath, respray the car and refurb the wheels to make this car great (even greater) again.

But then your head starts to think wisely... but your heart keeps pushing it... but the head can't give up with the idea that "maybe" is not the best deal to invest that huge sum of money into a "rotten" car :loco: .

I have to include my misses in the equation. She is not at all into cars. For her is just a machine to go from A to B hating the idea of doing services regularly. She wasn't happy at all with the idea of spending almost 2 grand in a "old" car.

So after a bit of introduction you will understand why my head won the battle by knockout (still undisputed I'm afraid). So I started to source a rust free 93 aero coupe to reduce costs and increase reliability over time. After few disapointing fails viewing cars, I found a very good 93 aero 3 doors in laser red with factory sunroof.

As a bonus, it came with saab 900R alloy wheels (same as vectra gsi phase 1), only two ex owners and only 92k on the clock. The bottom end of the engine is gone and I don't know if turbo is still good or what else is gone. Is something that I will asses very soon.

And yes, the question that most of you want to know, the price. The price was quite good. Only £400 for a car that is a very good starting point.

Bad bits of the car (because we can't forget that is a 17 years old car):
- Front bumper cracked
-bonnet faded and with stone chips (quite a few to be honest)

here is a picture of the car being recovered by my mate from dp automotive (He is a nice guy, knowledgeable and offers a very competitive rates):

So lets start with the plan:

-I would like to fit my B205r engine in the car. I know is reliable and was serviced every 5k. And the most important sump was dropped a month ago.
-Fit a short shifter from Jamsaab.
-Go for stage 3+ from Karl.
- Refurb alloy wheels (still deciding if stick to silver or go for a white).
-Respray the bonnet and source another front bumper (this is already done).

In the meantime Im breaking the parts that I dont need anymore from my lovely silver aero (most parts available :lol: ). With the money I will get from the breaking I will subsidise this project.

So "The Röd" is going to comeback greater than ever :mrgreen: and you will see the process here :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm 
Active user

Car Model: og 93 aero coupe stage 3
Short shifter from JamSaab already ordered. Hopefully I have some spare time this weekend to install it. Since short shifter service from JamSaab work on a exchange basis, I would like to get it installed ASAP so I can send mine to Martin.