UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Turbo xx
shocked...
Been trying to find the words..

here are some

No one's death comes to pass without making some impression, and those close to the deceased inherit part of the liberated soul and become richer in their humanness.
Author: Hermann Broch

In a way we are all close by sharing this forum and in so we shall become richer

thank you david

rest in peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:53 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab C900 16VS
Very shocked, I had never met David, but have read many of his posts...

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:49 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 900 T16S, 9k 2.3T Anni, TVR S2
:shock:

Was reading another post on here and something said "in memory of David" - I thought it couldn't mean what I thought it did, but here we are...

Never met the chap (funny, was almost at the Ipswich RR so perhaps I would have), but feeling the loss of a fellow Saaber.

All my thoughts with his family at this difficult time.

Currently raising a glass of Shiraz to him, and coincidentally "Only The Good Die Young" by Iron Maiden is currently playing...

RIP

Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: The TG 9000 Aero, Edna Aero...
Utterly stunned.

I am still not over the death of colleague at work who sadly also took his life this year. Like David, he was instrumental in creating something that moved moved our daily life forward for the better.

One can only express one's sincerest condolences and share of the loss of a great person at a time like this. I come to this thread late in the day but I do hope that his family read the tributes that have been paid to him, and take from them the obvious respect, esteem and love we have for him. There is sadly little we can do to ease their pain at a time like this other than help them understand that even though curtailed, his life was of value to us all.

We have all struggled to find words that we feel adequate. However what matters most is that we wanted to find the words.

David may be gone, but his spirit will live on with us.

David, you were one of the best and it was my pleasure and privelege to have known you. I wish you eternal happiness.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k Aero
I first met david! at Ipswich rr day last month. We had only a little chat, but in that small time, we chatted saab and gave me very sound advice(thank you david!).
Although I also didn't know david! well at all, I found him to be an abolute top bloke.
Am struggling with words at the moment, so all my thoughts are to his family

THANK YOU DAVID!
For you have helped bring over 1000 saabers together

You will be sorely missed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:46 am 
Active user

My condolences go out to all his friends and family. I cannot help but notice that there seems to be an epidemic of untimely deaths. Youth (and he was so young) must be taught the long view, so that the exigency of the short term is limited. I feel very bad for his family. The inherent spark in mankind is so fragile, that we must be brave and forgive ourselves, in deference to what is yet possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:19 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Subaru Legacy GT Twin-scroll
fliptopbin wrote:
:shock:

Was reading another post on here and something said "in memory of David" - I thought it couldn't mean what I thought it did, but here we are...

RIP

Martin.

Sorry Martin, that was me, and in retrospect was perhaps a little insensitive. I have edited that post to point people in this direction before reading the rest of it.

arum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: Espresso 9-5 Aero
Still struggling to come to terms with losing a very close friend.An all round top fella.Regarded David! as a kid brother,despite only knowing him for a short space of time.
Focusing on the good times,and there were many.
All the weekends up here in Bristol,and down on the south coast,fixing,tweaking,and breaking Saabs.
Chatting,laughing,arguing who had the fastest 9000.....All the advice so freely given,not just to me,but to all the forum visitors

David! may have taken his own life,but he couldn't take away the memories.

Thanks to all who have expressed their condolences.As you can imagine,things are all up in the air,but as soon as the funeral,etc are arranged,we will let you know about flowers/donations.
This will take a few days.
Your patience will be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:10 am 
UKS Addict

bish wrote:
Perhaps we could hold 'mini-meets' across the country on the day of his funeral or soon afterwards to celebrate his spirit within this community.

I agree :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:15 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

I met David for the first and only time two weeks ago. He came round to my house to help me with my car. I can only echo all the sentiments above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:29 am 
Could I respectfully suggest you take a look at this thread

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:09 am 

Car Model: 06 9-3 Aero SW, 05 Merc SLK350
Naranto wrote:
Could I respectfully suggest you take a look at this thread

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Naranto, donations to a charity as chosen by David's family has already been suggested (page 4) and appears to be already in hand by admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: T16s Flatty, 9-3 Viggen Vert
I personally never had the opportunity to meet David! or even correspond with him.

However, I have been through a similar experience with a close family member and my thoughts and prayers go to David!'s family now.

I have read posts about taking the site offline for the day in respect etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but would it be possible to have a "Saab" guard of honour to follow the funeral procession or to line the entrance to the funeral home? This was done for my cousin and is one of the memories I look back on with much love and fondness, that so many people turned out to pay their respects, and yet not to intrude on the prceedings. There is so much love and regret being exhibited here that I thought it might be fitting.

RIP David!, I hope you have found what you were looking for.

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:49 pm 

I never met David, but like so many here I read and enjoyed his posts. If David's family ever visit UKSaabs I hope that they take comfort in the fact that David touched so many people's lives directly and like me, indirectly.

I am so sorry for this tragic loss.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:52 pm 
Ooop sorry Jim and Admin, really didn't mean to create a problem - just like many here maybe, really want to do something positive for Davids memory. Apologies :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:27 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: TTid's only now :-(
Truely saddening.
I'd met David on a few occations, Soc Nationals, Trackdays etc and he was always a pleasing Saab chap.

We were only conversing 2 weeks ago...

It's a loss to the world. We need to make the best from the memories we have of him.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:59 pm 
UKS Addict

i never met david, but enjoyed his posts.will be greatly missed. a great loss to saabers everywhere. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm 
Sorry for not posting sooner.

David was my best mate for 30 years, we lived next door to each other growing up. We had lots of fun and laughs over that time and he really never did forgive me for getting him into Saabs, I took him for a spin in a 9000 and he bought one within two weeks and never looked back.

He always went out of the way to help me (and you lot :-) ), I don't think I could have had a truer friend.... bugger, that's set me off again: cry: .

So to that end UKSaabs will continue in the spirit in which it was created by David. A little corner of the cyberspace where UK Saab heads can get together and have a chat about the cars and all things good.
------
I have spoken to David's family again today, they will let us know as soon as they can about the arrangements.

I did ask about donations to a charity, again they will probs let me know tomorrow.

Richard

Last edited by starfish on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: David
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:26 pm 
Active user

The association of the The Saab Owners Club with David was very recent and his contribution towards the success of the new web site was invaluable.

I personally met David in June and subsequently again at the National. He was very amiable and a complete Saab man with endless enthusiasm.

I am saddened by the news and, on my own behalf and that of The Saab Owners Club, I send sincere condolences to David's family and friends.

Peter Turner
Secretary/Vice Chairman, Saab Owners Club GB Ltd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:08 pm 
Saab Bodger

I've been away for a few days and just heard from Nev about this terrible news.

As Pete Tandino has remarked, I also feel that I should and could have done more. I was in the position to. I knew about many of his problems and I could easily have given up the time. Nev did give up so much of his time and energy and it is regretful that he must now take such a heavy blow.

David was a unique personality: always full of life - an ethusiastic doer - who was always able to act calmly and with perseverance to deal with difficult situations. He was also a bright, original and practical thinker. I realised this summer just how knowledgeable and skilled he was about Saabs. This speaks of a man who has a love for life and knowledge.

Finally, it was his generosity that stood out on a number of occasions. Earlier in the summer he simply picked up Nev's hoover and spent an hour or more cleaning out my car. I was amazed by this gesture. The last time I saw him, my car had just sprung a fuel leak and, guess who put down his tea to fix it (in half the time I could)?

A deep loss to his family, the Saab community and individuality.

Alanb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next