It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sub sections in Workshop
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:34 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2005, 9-5 Aero
would this be a go or no go?
Maybe divide it up by model then power and trim level e.g:

9-5, 2.3ltr, aero, big T, little T, etc.

9000, 2.3ltr, CSE, Aero, Anniversary, etc

Would take a lot of work initially but would create a very orderly and efficient database.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s, five of 'em
God's Teeth, have you any idea of the number of combinations that would be. I don't disapprove of the suggestion but where to start and stop.

The 9-5 has 3 generations, Original, face-lift and DE. The two "normal" engine sizes of 2.0l and 2.3l plus some odd ones that had more moving parts and holes. The T is basically an Aero but not in Aero trim and I have a 2.3t that has a Sports Pack and so is more Aero in the suspension than a regular 2.3t but lacking in the turbo department.

:wall:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:44 pm 
Saab Nut

I realise that and don't suggest taking it to that degree but to quickly reference by model and power plant would be feasible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:17 am 
Active user

Car Model: '01 93 SE Vert ST3 Noobed
Where this would be useful as to referencing previous posts, I feel the amount of help offered would be reduced.
Add to the fact that quite a few help requests can be very generic exacerbates the situation.

For instance, someone such as myself, who has competent knowledge of cars and their workings would not trawl though every section to find and answer a question on a post facelift 95 1.8t comfort pack car with tyres wearing too much in the middle.

Plus, I read most workshop posts to learn more about Saabs in general, as I would imagine many others do.
Then, if the same answer is asked in future, the knowledge has already been shared with everyone and more people can then answer.

Thus I conclude, where it is more convenient to find solutions for previous issues, it would reduce the amount of shared knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:37 am 
Saab Nut

I don't see how shared knowledge would be affected, in fact it would be easier to find.

If I am looking for a problem for my particular model/engine (2.3, 9-5) then rather than trawl through and read each title of 99, 900, 95, 9000, 9-3, 1.8, 2.0, 1.9 etc. I could just instantly jump to the 'Unread posts' of the relevant sub forum.

You can argue the pro and cons, the necessity or lack of the idea until the sky falls in, ultimately it's up to Admin and the Mods, this section is headed, 'Announcements, FAQ's and Suggestions', this is mine. Food for thought, nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:10 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
Nice idea in theory but no one is going to go into every forum looking to see if they can help, so threads would go unanswered. It has to be user friendly for all.

Plus model is a very crude tool for grouping queries - a query on t5 management or a b204 spans 9000/gm900/9³, whereas a c9³ has numerous irrelevant engine and engine management setups associated with it. So unless you do get ridiculous about how detailed you go (ie splitting all body shapes/engines/years/engine management) the splits may do more harm than good- and if you do get ridiculous we'll have masses of sub forums that will be a right pain to navigate.

Fair play to you for thinking about the issue, but this idea doesn't have any legs I'm afraid.