UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:26 am 
Active user

Car Model: 99. 900t16s. 9-3 2.0 FPT
Was very gratified to see such a positive response to a members question about the value of hypnosis and it got me thinking; happens occasionally. There is a huge resource within this community and there may be some 'mileage' in swapping or sharing talents. A great many people on here have particular skills, some of them being of value, some probably best left unspoken. My case in point. I have knackered my back and have two Saabs which need jobs doing to them. I'm also an ex deputy head, landlord, decorator, swimming coach and published writer. So I'm not after someone to service my cars for me, but if I'm having a problem with a particular job on the car that requires bending lifting or 'Know how' than my 'no how?' I could happily swap one of my skills for some help or advice on the car. No money needs change hands and would be mutually beneficial.
Just a thought, but if a bearded fool can make a TV show out of it, surely it's worth considering. Possibly as a separate page like the Saab-trek thread, which is slightly similar in general terms.
Anyhow, just an idea and would welcome constructive or amusing destructive feedback.
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:56 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99. 900t16s. 9-3 2.0 FPT
That's two posts in a row that have been moved to different areas of the site without any explanation. Whilst I'm prepared to admit my handbrake request was not in the correct section, and said so as much in my post, I really can't see the logic of this one being moved. From the coffee bar (for all those off topic things,) with high user traffic to the 'announcements, FAQ..' Section with very limited user traffic. The whole point of my post was to engage as many users as possible. If the consensus is that it's a rubbish idea then that's absolutely fine, but it's unfair to stifle the discussion completely by sidelining the post to the forum equivalent of the dusty attic. I wonder where this comment will end up..?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:17 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
I like this idea, although I imagine that my skills will be of limited use for a trade! As a concept it's good, just need everyone involved to be aware that people let others down sometimes. Perhaps each time someone helps a other user they could earn some kind of virtual "credit(s)" that could be traded. E.g. an hour of helping earns you a "credit" that you could spend on an hour from someone else. Everyone could start with a "credit" to get the ball rolling perhaps?

(BTW, I found this as I read the forum using the unread posts page)

Sent from my Windows Phone

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: c900i
I'd trade Noel Edmonds for a Saab...

It's a nice idea, but I have no discernible skills whatsoever except a gift for mild sarcasm. So these ideas scare me a bit...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Leaflysock wrote:
That's two posts in a row that have been moved to different areas of the site without any explanation. Whilst I'm prepared to admit my handbrake request was not in the correct section, and said so as much in my post, I really can't see the logic of this one being moved. From the coffee bar (for all those off topic things,) with high user traffic to the 'announcements, FAQ..' Section with very limited user traffic. The whole point of my post was to engage as many users as possible. If the consensus is that it's a rubbish idea then that's absolutely fine, but it's unfair to stifle the discussion completely by sidelining the post to the forum equivalent of the dusty attic. I wonder where this comment will end up..?

Unfortunately we sometimes do not have the time to message the OP when we move a thread into a more appropriate section.

More often than not the OP has inadvertently posted in the wrong section.
Occasionally it is because the OP believes their Workshop related question, Classified Ad, Meeting or Suggestion etc...deserves more attention than those of others.

The Coffee Bar is for general chat and subjects that do not fit into any other section of the forum.

From what I can see you have submitted a suggestion for a separate page/section.

As you have already highlighted, your thread has been moved into 'Announcements, FAQ......(but you seem to have missed the)......& Suggestions'.

Therefore it would seem to have been moved into the appropriate section for your thread.

As for 'the forum equivalent of the dusty attic.'

If its a topic that interests people they will contribute.

You will see some topics in this section have created some lively chat/debate, so there are some skylights in the attic.

Even topics in the Coffee Bar are occasionally shoved in the cupboard under the stairs.........

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:15 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
TwyRob wrote:
(BTW, I found this as I read the forum using the unread posts page)

The 'greater visibility' in the Coffee Bar is a bit of a fallacy, as a fairly large percentage of UKSaabers use 'View New Posts' or 'View Unread Posts' when browsing the forum.

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
I like the idea........although quite how much use info on government-sponsored drug dealing is I'll never know!

9-5 saloon - battered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
If popular belief is to prevail will we not all end up offering each other architectural advice? :wink: :wink:

Lexus LS430

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:35 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
If you weren't so far away Paul, I'd gladly help you out with anything as I tend to do with most folk roundabout me (for free)..
Maybe some others will have done or do similar and maybe you'll start a trend..
8)

Focus B234
Focus ST336
6 Saabs
2 French

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:31 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2001 9-3 Turbo Convertible
Personally, as a newcomer to the fold, I would say that the ideas is great in principle, however the value of jobs won't always be agreed upon by all, and so I can foresee arguments.

For example, My profession is a Cabinet Maker, and I would happily trade my services, however lets say I wanted my rear shock absorbers changing, it's a job that may take 3 hours (guessing) if I trade that against my skill set, I could cut perhaps 4 or 5 dovetails, so in terms of time it would take a lot of car work to equate to a modest piece of furniture, I imagine this holds true to a large number of other professions. That isn't meant to belittle the job of a mechanic, its just when you look into the world economy it does answer why the cost of said work done in a garage would be around £135 + parts, where as said small furniture piece would stretch closer to £1000.

For what its worth as previously mentioned I am a Cabinet Maker and would happily help anyone on the forum with anything I could, from general advice on anything woody to helping with making or fitting furniture, for free. This is in my mind what makes clubs/forums of any nature work best.
If I felt someone was taking the Michael I would simply tell them, or not offer my help in the future.

Chris