UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:45 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

I understand the "Car Model" field was added some time ago more as an anti-spam measure than anything else, to try to differentiate between real Saab enthusiasts and random spammers. However, people forget to keep it up to date and if they rely on it for people to figure out what model they're talking about in the Workshop it causes confusion.

I've seen plenty of people ask technical questions in the Workshop without saying what car the question refers to. I know "the rools" say they should list the car model and year but if they can post without doing so then they often will. I write a long, hopefully helpful reply, only to find out that they have changed their car (or have an additional car not listed on their profile) and my reply is completely wasted.

So now I ask what car the question refers to. Some people reply to clarify and some people get the right bottom.

And what happens when they *do* update their Car Model some time in the future and it no longer tallies with the question (and answers)? What does someone doing a forum search for their own problem make of it? Many people don't think beyond getting an answer to the problem they have today but the Workshop should be a useful archive of knowledge that people on tee Internet can find.

Does the "Car Model" field really provide nett benefit?

At the very least, keep it as an anti-spam measure and simply don't display it next to posts?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I would like to see the Location field made compulsory and a valid geographical location put in there. A County would do. I have made many "Whereabouts are you?" posts.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:53 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I thought, and try to adhere to, that the posts in Workshop (for example) should include Model & Year in the Post title. "9-5MY00 Broken Again" would be typical. When I am musing on more general problems, car related, it may be "What Turbos are there?"

I joined pre-car model IIRC and only some time later completed it. But the box is too small for my collection of toys and I can't split the 9-5 models.

I'd find the location a more useful field to be completed. Even if it's only a general area. That'd help when looking for bits and being interested but then have to enquire where the bits are located. Having typed that, the location is supposed to be in the thread title too.

Moving on to the Coffee Bar, it'd be useful for the Location, just to get a feel for if someone is in your area and can perhaps pass on some handy local knowledge. Or I can perhaps return the favour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:00 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

I think the same would go for the location - it can be out-of-date or simply inaccurate and then you have the same problem. You rely on it when responding to an advert, say, or recommending a garage and find you've wasted your time.

Many people might not want to make their location public if there is no need to and resent being made to do so. If you need to give your location, do so. You help people to help you or help them buy what you are advertising. If you need to say what car you have, when asking technical questions, then say. There is then no ambiguity.

The requirement to put all the relevant info in the subject line - that's common sense but if people don't do it and don't get the response they need as a result, then that's their lookout. Nagging people about the rules just gets their backs up. Enforce it all the time or not at all. Many people simply forget in their haste to post. Far preferable, to my mind, a simple update to the forum so that it is impossible to post without filling in a field containing the model would remind them and make everyone's life easier. Likewise with any info deemed necessary for adverts (I don't agree location is always a requirement when the advertiser is prepared to send an item by post).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
To be completely honest I have no problem with the current set up. It makes sense to insist on the info as stated in the yellow rules box at the top of classifieds, workshop etc.

Retrorides has a "purgatory" section that threads get moved into when they fail to follow the rules as stated. Couldn't be too hard to do the same here, moving them back when sorted. That way the post is visible (but perhaps locked) and the OP is compelled to fix it before it is opened up again.

People get annoyed with those in authority when they are pulled up for not following rules, goes with the territory. If every contravention is treated the same they will get the picture. You have had a bit of stick recently, I think the majority support the efficient moderation though. You are insisting on useful info where necessary, nothing unreasonable.

Sent from my Windows Phone

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:15 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

TwyRob wrote:
Retrorides has a "purgatory" section that threads get moved into when they fail to follow the rules as stated. Couldn't be too hard to do the same here, moving them back when sorted. That way the post is visible (but perhaps locked) and the OP is compelled to fix it before it is opened up again.

Too much workload for the moderators. It's obvious they can't keep up with it already since posts are made all the time that don't conform to the prescribed format and are only occasionally pulled up on it.

People don't read the boxes. They post the question they want to post and forget to add the required bits of info. Nothing prevents them from doing this so they don't get any reminder that they have forgotten something until, occasionally, a mod comes along and enforces it seemingly at random.

If you require certain information for certain types of post then make it easy for people to remember to do so. For example, in the Workshop, have a mandatory field that has to be filled in to contain the car model. You can't post without filling it in so people won't forget. You could do the same thing with any info you decide is mandatory for adverts. Don't get me started on using the thread format for adverts - I've been saying for 12 years now that a proper classified ad format would give the mods a much easier life.

The less the moderators have to do the fewer the inconsistencies in moderation and the less likely people will have problems with it. The less the posters have to remember about what they should and shouldn't put in the boxes, the happier people will be and the more smoothly the forum will run.

I'm happy to take a look implementing it if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
I've always kept the "car model" field (and other details) up to date. The big problem is that it's not big enough. It's fine for one or two cars but by the time you get to four or five, it's hopelessly inadequate!

I see your point Bill but if the model is not in the OP I'd ignore the question but if I was a more helpful sort of guy, like you, I'd ask the poster for the model before answering the question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
We are not ignoring this thread :lol: just no time at the moment due to getting ready to go offshore. Please keep the suggestions and comments coming, I will look into it and discuss with the other mods over the next few days when things settle down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:36 am 
UKSaabs Trader

TFatC wrote:
just no time at the moment

Exactly :wink:
I'm trying to propose some changes that will reduce the workload of the mods so they can concentrate on moderating the content of the forum posts rather than wasting precious time policing their format, and still leave time to live their everyday lives. Format can be dealt with automatically in software, which can help people to see what information they need to provide with their question, advert, etc. In my experience people don't mind this. What they do mind is someone coming along afterwards and telling them they should have done it a different way. Especially if you haven't got time to deal with all posts in the same way and they feel they are being singled out.

As I mentioned above, I'm happy to look into ways to do this if you like.

Have a good trip! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:51 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I quite like the idea of having a couple of "Info" boxes to be completed depending on the forum the New Post is being posted to. Title, Model, Year, Variant for the Workshop. I'd favour the extra bits not being compulsory as that is a shortcut to insanity and overload of work for the Mods.

It'd also free up a bit of welcome extra space for the thread title.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
It would be great if the workshop section were subdivided; roughly into three main sections (e.g. two stroke/ V4, 90/99/C900/9000 and later models) or even further narrowed down. I know there is overlap between models, I think it would be a major improvement though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9000s
Agree. Be good to subdivide workshop into a few categories if that is possible.... (sorry late to the party ressurecting an old post!)....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
melle wrote:
It would be great if the workshop section were subdivided; roughly into three main sections (e.g. two stroke/ V4, 90/99/C900/9000 and later models) or even further narrowed down. I know there is overlap between models, I think it would be a major improvement though.

Good luck with that, similar suggested some time ago...........viewtopic.php?f=6&t=172851 and here...... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103833

TwyRob wrote:
........Retrorides has a "purgatory" section that threads get moved into when they fail to follow the rules as stated. Couldn't be too hard to do the same here, moving them back when sorted. That way the post is visible (but perhaps locked) and the OP is compelled to fix it before it is opened up again.

We have the Pit Lane.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:38 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Thanks for reminding everyone of that fateful post. :?

I sill like it but I suspect that some on here would like to see me burned for the suggestion! :shock: :)

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:10 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
:) :lol:
Sorry about that, I didn't even think to look at the post date! :bag:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
Are you a regular forum user? ;) The workshop section has been split into two useful categories some time ago, although if it were up to me the classic workshop would be split again into two stroke/ V4 and 90/99/900/9000 sections.

I think there is way too much "posting bureaucracy" on this forum. There is a "report" button, so if people accidentally post in the wrong section their post could be moved if someone notices at all. I'm a big advocate of clarity, but I find posts going to the pit lane because there is no model year in the title simply childish/ bureaucratic. If people give there threads poor titles and no one reads them that's their own problem alright?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:03 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9000s
Maybe the 9000 could be moved to classic workshop... now that the youngest of them are nearly 20 years old! Or maybe a 20th birthday present for the 9000 in a year or so's time...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Eselar wrote:
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103833

Just for the record, I'm no longer opposed to splitting the Workshop by model if that's what the majority of people want to do (of those who haven't already quietly dropped the forum because of the Pit Lane and related issues :wink: )

Since I'm probably the only member left of the moderating team who originally decided against splitting the Workshop by model, while I still think it was a good decision I won't try to hold back the tide of popular opinion. There are a lot of new people who have joined since then. However, splitting them up now, as Jules mentioned in the other thread Eselar quoted, would be a huge task. Not least because of all the posts that don't mention the model of car they relate to...

My original rant that started this thread was never intended to result in increased bureaucracy and moderator workload.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

EmpingSaab wrote:
Maybe the 9000 could be moved to classic workshop

I think if that were to happen I would find, since my time is short at the moment, that I'd neglect to scan through the "GM Workshop" (as it could then be renamed) and just scan the "Classic Workshop". Shame, as I still find myself answering questions about GM Saabs, despite never having owned one. There are a lot of similarities between parts of the 9000, GM900, OG9-3 and 9-5 (and even C900) that mean experience of one model is useful on another.
That was the original idea behind lumping all models together in one Workshop forum.

If anything, give the 9-3SS and NG9-5 their own Workshop forum since they're related to each other and completely unrelated to anything else.