UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

In response to this thread, we have reviewed the rules of the classifieds. Whilst the main change is to try and get a bit more info in thread titles and within the adverts themselves, and remove a bit of the mystery, there are a few other tweaks/clarifications so if you're intending on making any use of the classified section please familiarise yourselves with them.

Classified Section Rules wrote:

Advert titles should follow the format: [Item (Model/Year, etc)] [Location] [Price] eg. "1999 9-3 SE, Glasgow, £800"
All adverts are for buyers and sellers only to communicate.
This area is for private advertisers and approved UKS Traders only.
Adverts must be for cars or items actually available at the time of posting.
The item(s) advertised must be owned by the seller/advertiser.
Advert descriptions should be truthful and where possible photos added.
All adverts should contain an asking price.
If the item cannot be posted please state your location.
No links or references to eBay auctions unless the item has already been offered for sale here for a period of 14 days.
No 'Bumping' of topics.
No more than 5 threads per user.

Anybody breaching theses simple rules will have their adverts removed, and may be restricted from posting both in the classified section and on all other parts of the site. UKSaabs take no responsibility for transactions entered into as a result of these adverts. Any questions (or if you believe you have a case for an exemption to the above rules) please contact one of the moderators or Tech-II

Note: New Users (under 5 posts) will not be able to respond to PMs.

This forum now has a 30 day auto prune running. Any post/thread that has not been active for 30 days will automatically be removed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
what constitutes bumping?

would adding an extra picture a few days later be in breach?

05 Smart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
mossypossy wrote:
what constitutes bumping?

would adding an extra picture a few days later be in breach?

Not necessarily, an extra photo after a few days would be fine, an extra one every day would be considered bumping. We will try to use common sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2003 9-5 aero wagon stg3+
so are the rules different for uks traders then, because i notice that some private advertiser are reminded of forum rules ,ie advert showing prices , but not certain members of the uks traders fraternity aren,t and insist on only disclosing prices via pm,s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
cptpaul1968 wrote:
so are the rules different for uks traders then, because i notice that some private advertiser are reminded of forum rules ,ie advert showing prices , but not certain members of the uks traders fraternity aren,t and insist on only disclosing prices via pm,s

The same rules apply to traders as they do private sellers.

When spotted they will also be asked to include a price.

I have just had a quick look and I cannot spot any, if you would like to report the ads that you refer to we will happily post a reminder.

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 pm 
UKS Addict

let's be honest here there's one advertiser that gets away with only disclosing prices via pm,s, and when US members that were interested in product being sold complained about forum rules being broken, What happened? all our comments regarding it were moderated out, but unlike the few that you reminded off forum rules that day he was not reminded of rules.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:50 pm 
Arkwright.

cptpaul1968 wrote:
let's be honest here there's one advertiser that gets away with only disclosing prices via pm,s, and when US members that were interested in product being sold complained about forum rules being broken, What happened? all our comments regarding it were moderated out, but unlike the few that you reminded off forum rules that day he was not reminded of rules.

I think I know which one you are referring to now.

If you care to look at that thread you will see that prices are now quoted, the seller was asked just like everyone else to include a price which he has now done.

The thread was moderated (tidied up) because it also states in the forum rules that 'classified threads' are for buyers and sellers only to communicate. Which of course means it was the wrong place to be airing a string of comments about the rules.

If you spot a classified that is not posted in accordance with the rules there is a report icon. As previously stated if we spot them the poster will be reminded, but we cannot check every single post 24/7. So if you spot one please report it.

As has also been previously stated the price to be displayed rule was only introduced recently (end of Nov), so those ads posted prior to that were not breaking the rules at the time.

The posters of ads submitted prior to the new rule being introduced will/have been asked to comply where there has been activity on the thread since the new rule has been introduced.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Ok yes it is , but in thread, I was enquiring because i,m after some of that type , so think i,m entitled to ask , i don,t want to be pm~ing and did say in thread before it was "tidied" up, and thanks for your comments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:45 pm 
Arkwright.

cptpaul1968 wrote:
Ok yes it is , but in thread, I was enquiring because i,m after some of that type , so think i,m entitled to ask , i don,t want to be pm~ing and did say in thread before it was "tidied" up, and thanks for your comments

So he has also now complied with the rules as requested and looking at the date of the initial post it was initially submitted prior to the new rules being introduced.
Quote:
let's be honest here there's one advertiser that gets away with only disclosing prices via pm,s,

I think you will now agree if spotted nobody is 'getting away with it'.

However we cannot apply the rules in retrospect, so if that is how that trader did his business in the past we obviously cannot do anything about that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm 
UKS Addict

yes you can,t monitor everyone agreed , think it,s good business too be open though because everyone,s got a budget , and whats the point of asking if nit,s above your ceiling, hopefully save a lot of people pointless messaging know this new rule is out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Do these new rules apply to everyone?

Too many numpties, not enough ammo!

Gyl 1993-2009 So long old girl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Admin

GirlySaabFan wrote:
Do these new rules apply to everyone?

Yes, please let us know if you spot one we have missed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:22 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Espin99 wrote:
However we cannot apply the rules in retrospect, so if that is how that trader did his business in the past we obviously cannot do anything about that.

To be fair to cptpaul1968, Malc, the trader's rules have always (as far back as I remember) been slightly different from the non-trader's rules in that price AND availability have always been required to be quoted in any adverts or any replies to requests. The stated aim, and a fair point, is to encourage competition for the benefit of all members, in the best Maggie Thatcher tradition :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 am 
UKS Addict

which was the point I was trying to make as it,s a traders business, whereas a member is selling items he no longer requires and is just trying to recoup money they have spent and not be in fact making money

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Arkwright.

Quote:
whereas a member is selling items he no longer requires and is just trying to recoup money they have spent and not be in fact making money

Not always the case though and it was usually those that were hoping for a profit that tended not to state asking prices :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 am 
Arkwright.

BillJ wrote:
Espin99 wrote:

To be fair to cptpaul1968, Malc, the trader's rules have always (as far back as I remember) been slightly different from the non-trader's rules in that price AND availability have always been required to be quoted in any adverts or any replies to requests. The stated aim, and a fair point, is to encourage competition for the benefit of all members, in the best Maggie Thatcher tradition :lol:

Your probably correct but it was not laid down anywhere and it certainly did not differentiate between private sellers and traders in the previous rules at the top of the classified sections. Thats why some previously 'unwritten rules' were incorporated within the recent rule changes.

Quote:
The stated aim, and a fair point, is to encourage competition for the benefit of all members, in the best Maggie Thatcher tradition

:D I could not agree more.

However be careful Bill, there are certain people who will label you a fascist for even mentioning her name :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 am 
UKSaabs Trader

The trader's terms and conditions are completely separate from the Classified Ads rules and were modified a few years ago to allow traders to place and answer wanted ads in the Classifieds and general enquiries in other forums but the requirement to state price and availability was added.

Quote:
No replying to adverts with PM me or similar – only replies confirming availability AND price will be acceptable.

Not quite as I remembered it - that only appears to apply to replies outside the trader's forum but I have always quoted price and availability in all trade advertising.

It wasn't my intention to start a political discussion as I know that particular subject can be very emotive. I was simply referring, in a light-hearted way, to Mrs. Thatcher's (and others') well-publicised belief that free competition is good for consumer choice :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:14 pm 
Saab Nut

TFatC wrote:

I did, it's still there.

Too many numpties, not enough ammo!

Gyl 1993-2009 So long old girl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

GirlySaabFan wrote:
TFatC wrote:

I did, it's still there.

PM me with the info please, I am away from home so do not have access to everything I usually do, but will have a look and see what is what. Ta.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
GirlySaabFan wrote:
TFatC wrote:

I did, it's still there.

I understand this was related to a post I made in response to an ad by Ian at M5 Saab Centre, asking how he was. I was late, I'd had a glass of wine, and it was supposed to be a PM but I hit the wrong button and didn't realise. Of course had I been told or had I noticed I would have rectified it (as I have this evening), it was never intended for public eyes (not that there was anything particularly interesting in it). Nothing more sinister than that I'm afraid!