UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm 
Could I suggest making it compulsory for advertisers to put an asking price for cars for sale in the classified sections?

I'm sure the Mods are fed up with having to "tidy" threads where prices are debated and it's so frustrating for buyers having to guess what sort of money "offers" might mean not to mention insulting for sellesr to be offered £1000 for a car worth £3000.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm 
UKS Addict

I agree with the above.

(Only a short post as at work, but it would make things a lot easier for all concerned)

Cheers

- Dave -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 T16s X2
Agreed.
On another forum I use prices have to be stated, no 'offers' etc, or the ad is pulled by the mods

Ex NG9-5, c900 vert, 9K track car, 93 9KAero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: saab 9-3 se turbo convertible
I thought it already was?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 234r 9-3 nail
Agree its a pain in the rear when its got no price

Sent using hypnotoad

Corsa 1.5 "turdo"!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:57 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Gentlemen, check the announcements :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128552

You see good suggestions are noted and implemented :D

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 pm 
Active user

Car Model: '91 T16S 'vert & 9-5 Aero
Whilst you're at it, another forum I'm on which uses phpBB had very similar issues. The mods created a simple template which utilises drop-down lists for Make / Model / Year, etc and mandatory fields for Price and Location. It makes it SO much easier for everyone. All ads are listed in a standard format, so it's very easy to search what you're looking for. Don't think it took them long to set up at all. Worth a go?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:22 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

beinghuman wrote:
Whilst you're at it, another forum I'm on which uses phpBB had very similar issues. The mods created a simple template which utilises drop-down lists for Make / Model / Year, etc and mandatory fields for Price and Location.

The lack of information we're still complaining about now has been a problem right from day one. Most of the time, I'm sure people simply don't remember to put all the information into the advert. Ten years ago (when I was a moderator) I looked at this problem on UKS and intended to try to implement a form like the one you mention but in the end I never found the time. Even the optional fields on the form would jog people's memories so, for example, they don't forget to say whether it's manual or automatic transmission.

I agree that a fixed format for adverts would make the Classifieds easier to browse effectively.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Thinking about it more, I have to say that a fixed form for entry of adverts including mandatory fields (disallowing "Offers", "?", etc. for the price, of course) would certainly be more effective and would avoid moderators looking like "jobsworths" when trying to enforce the rule in retrospect, cluttering the advert thread while doing so. I've never been a fan of using the forum format for adverts - most of the perceived problems that arise do so because people can treat an advert just like any other thread (because it is). It would be so much easier if it were a dedicated Classifieds feature, a number of which I believe are available for PHPBB. Responses could go through the PM system and if the seller wants to update or add any details as a result of a PM then they can do so without losing control of their advert, as currently happens when a thread goes off the rails.

Different formats would be required for different items for sale. According to the current Classified Ad rules, a car for sale would require a price, as would a single part for sale. However, an advert for a car being broken could not list all the prices for all the parts and would have to invite enquiries (by PM) for whatever part the potential customer is interested in. This in itself would require some thinking through.

A bit of work to implement it, obviously, so it might never happen. If we're looking for a big improvement in the quality of the Classified area then I would say that doing away with the forum format is the only real way.

Whether we could fit the trader's section into a dedicated Classifieds add-on, or if we would even want to, is up for debate. Personally I think it works fine as it is, largely because it doesn't allow public responses yet is flexible enough to advertise any kind of product or service in any format the trader chooses.

My thoughts, anyway...