UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: XC70.....
Eselar wrote:
Bending and exercising judgement on the rules and deciding if you're content with it?
Looks like a new precedent is set for all of us.

I suspect pretty much everyone does this every day. We’re curious, sentient beings capable of exercising judgement. My attitude towards speed for example is one of assessing the environment and making a decision as to how hard (or not) to press on the pedal on the right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: XC70.....
melle wrote:
I hope so!

Where’s the ‘like’ button?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
melle wrote:
I hope so!

Yes and we will continue to ensure the forum rules are adhered to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
Eternal optimist wrote:
melle wrote:
I hope so!

Where’s the ‘like’ button?

I have asked this question many times, a simple addition that adds to the forum experience.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 am 
Arkwright.

Its not something we are keen on, plus its not known if its possible with the forum software.
If it is, its someone having the time or inclination to sort it especially when there is an equal amount of members that are not keen on the idea.

We do not really want to be a Faceache clone, before long we will be posting pictures of what we are eating, what we are drinking and what we are watching on the telebox..................... :wall:

Anyway a post with ''Nice 8) '' or ''I like that :D '' is far more personable than a thumbs up at the bottom of the page.

''Likes'' just cut out actual written conversation :corn:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
Eternal optimist wrote:
Eselar wrote:
Bending and exercising judgement on the rules and deciding if you're content with it?
Looks like a new precedent is set for all of us.

I suspect pretty much everyone does this every day. We’re curious, sentient beings capable of exercising judgement. My attitude towards speed for example is one of assessing the environment and making a decision as to how hard (or not) to press on the pedal on the right.

There's a difference between a rule and a law, if you don't like the rules imposed on you by a company, business or forum you can move on or use somewhere else, a law applies to all of us without that choice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
Espin99 wrote:
[...]we will continue to ensure the forum rules are adhered to.
I bet that's for own good? :wink: The fact that moderation on UKS is pro-active and very visible makes this forum feel much less relaxed than RR. Law and order and zero tolerance enforcement are en vogue again these days, so there you go...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am 
Arkwright.

melle wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
[...]we will continue to ensure the forum rules are adhered to.
I bet that's for own good? :wink: The fact that moderation on UKS is pro-active and very visible makes this forum feel much less relaxed than RR. Law and order and zero tolerance enforcement are en vogue again these days, so there you go...

That is your opinion which your entitled to, it might not necessarily be the opinion of others :wink:

Zero tolerance etc... may be as you say en vogue these days, although (my personal opinion rather than the UKS opinion) that is just something spouted by those who see nothing wrong in breaking rules unless of course its rules they agree to or impose themselves.

Another opinion that is en vogue these days is that the minority are always trying to force their views on the majority.

Quote:
I bet that's for own good? :wink:

Would you like to expand on that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 am 
Arkwright.

Eselar wrote:
There's a difference between a rule and a law, if you don't like the rules imposed on you by a company, business or forum you can move on or use somewhere else, a law applies to all of us without that choice

Very true.

RetroRides say the same.

Quote:
Retro Rides Forum Rules:

14) Yeah you’re a rebel I'm sure, but I'm still in charge
It is natural to rebel against rules and guidelines, but do it too much and you'll end up annoying me, I reserve the right to disable your ability to post, sorry.

15) HAVE FUN!
Despite rules, moans, whines, grumbles, stresses and strains, really we're all here to have fun with older cars, never ever forget this is supposed to be fun.

And if you don't like all this, then you are invited to go elsewhere, I love my forum, and other people do too, if you aren't one, then so be it, don't try to make it something it’s not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:19 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Espin99 wrote:
before long we will be posting pictures of what we are eating, what we are drinking and what we are watching on the telebox..................... :wall:

You know you really enjoy it.
:o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am 
UKS Addict

melle wrote:
....... Law and order and zero tolerance enforcement are en vogue again these days, so there you go...

I hope so.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am 
Saab Nut

Espin99 wrote:
That is your opinion which your entitled to, it might not necessarily be the opinion of others :wink:
It's not an opinion but an observation.

Espin99 wrote:
Quote:

That's what nannies routinely say.

Espin99 wrote:
RetroRides say the same.
Yes, but their rules are enforced in a completely different fashion, i.e. very sparsely and reactive instead of pro-active.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:56 am 
UKS Addict

Get yourself onto the mig welders forum to experience dacronian moderation.
Maybe you and Grahamhr could start your own, less stringent forum with no rules and moderation just like some former equally disgruntled members of UKSaabs did?
I'm sure loads of us would flock to it....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm 
Arkwright.

melle wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
Quote:

That's what nannies routinely say.

And that's the sort of evasive response nannies would receive from their charges :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm 
Saab Nut

Eselar wrote:
Get yourself onto the mig welders forum to experience dacronian moderation.
I’m on there, but not much because of the moderation.

Eselar wrote:
Maybe you and Grahamhr could start your own, less stringent forum with no rules and moderation just like some former equally disgruntled members of UKSaabs did?
I'm sure loads of us would flock to it....
I’m not disgruntled and I’m not against rules or moderation. I just disagree with some of the rules and how they are enforced, so I try navigate them in the way I feel most comfortable with. Since I don’t live in the ideal world I’ll have to compromise from time to time and that’s fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
Would you believe there are some rules/regs on UKS that I do not like or agree with? There are, I am not giving examples. As the owner I could easily change them, but then UKS would not be what it is, but just "my forum". After many years, the rules we have, and how they are enforced is what the majority of the users want, many of which are in the silent section of the majority. The proof of that is UKS is still the worlds busiest Saab forum, not as busy as it was certainly, but still busy. Many of the alternatives are no longer around, and others seem to exist solely for the advertising revenue they generate.

We are always happy to receieve suggestions, and indeed have debates like this thread. As long as it stays friendly and the majority like it, that is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:29 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Regardless of the specific rules on specific websites I always find it useful to remember that my online presence is easily linked to my real world self. Therefore, I follow just one rule that seems to cover most others on websites and forums:

I write things that I would have no problem with my 5yo daughter, wife, boss and students reading if they stumble upon it.

On here there is also the contents of the big yellow box etc if selling or asking for help and that's OK with me.

I have been moderated on here before, sometimes that has felt unjustified (like an assumption made about the purpose of a thread relating to scrapping a car - mod: "It's a veiled ad" me: "not really as I'm not selling stuff") and sometimes I have just made an error with a post in terms of the yellow boxes etc. That's OK, it's not personal and I don't take it as such.

Without moderation this forum would quite quickly descend into abusive comments and all of the rubbish that I hate about social media, as the 'other' Saab forum proved. Also, that other Saab forum didn't take their responsibility seriously regarding protecting the users and wider audience from online abuse etc, which isn't exactly in the spirit of the law. The current set up is good. Also, retro rides may appear less proactively moderated simply because people complain less when it happens and follow the rules more. For example, the pit lane here is a direct copy of their purgatory section.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:12 am 
Arkwright.

TwyRob wrote:
I have been moderated on here before, sometimes that has felt unjustified (like an assumption made about the purpose of a thread relating to scrapping a car - mod: "It's a veiled ad" me: "not really as I'm not selling stuff") and sometimes I have just made an error with a post in terms of the yellow boxes etc. That's OK, it's not personal and I don't take it as such.

Touching on this comment.
As admitted on this thread some members are constantly looking to bypass or bend the rules. Therefore as mods we sometimes take a somewhat cynical view on such posts as you mention.

An example of the type of post we have had in the Workshop & Coffee Bar (not Robs).

Quote:
I'm now breaking this car, it has this, this and this on it with this being only 3 months old, interior is in good condition and is difficult to get hold of. It would be a shame if it all went to the scrap man :wink:

Many are not even as subtle as the above.

Taking ''What's it worth'' threads as another example.
I'd estimate 90-95% of such threads are veiled ads, looking to highlight the fact they have a car or item for sale rather than genuinely not knowing what they are selling is worth. But you will find they all know what amount they are not willing to let the car/item go for, therefore they obviously have an idea of its worth :wink:

They just believe the Coffee Bar or Workshop etc...is a better platform to draw attention to the sale than the classifieds.

As Rob has said, non of the moderation is personal, we are just ensuring the rules that are in place are adhered to. The rules are applied to all and that includes those I would consider friends.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I think its easier to have a set of rules to follow and the Mods do a pretty good job of keeping it together. At times we all fall foul of the rules (like speed cameras!) and have to deal with it. If there was 'bending' of the rules it would lead to more arguments of the 'You bent the rules and allowed XYZ but not my post' nature. Keep it black and white. This is the most interactive forum I belong too (OK, I only belong to a couple) but it is almost always easy going, friendly, helpful and informative.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:03 pm 
Saab Nut

TWSaab wrote:
If there was 'bending' of the rules
Believe me, there is.