UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SAAB Festival 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
When we came back from the Saab International in 2016, the motorway south had roadworks and an accident. We drove down from Kolding to the German border on the ordinary roads - limit of 50 mph - but they were absolutely deserted. In over 50 miles, we overtook one vehicle and saw about six coming the other way.

If I were driving an older Saab, I would consider this and go all the way up to Frederikshavn and take the ferry to Gothenburg.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1972 96 V4, 1987 900 T16 Cabrio (LHD)
sgould wrote:
If I were driving an older Saab, I would consider this and go all the way up to Frederikshavn and take the ferry to Gothenburg.
Or possibly, ferry from Grenaa to Halmstad (saves going to the north of Denmark and having to drive south from Goteborg) - similar crossing time (3h20m).

Last edited by deggsie on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:47 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

The Saab Festival is in Trollhattan. That's 50 miles north of Gothenburg...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: SAAB 96/MGB/Classic Twingo/Niss Figaro
Deggsie
Aberdeen to Bergen?

Never realised that there was such a thing.
When did that stop running?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1972 96 V4, 1987 900 T16 Cabrio (LHD)
sgould wrote:
My mistake, put it down to rusty Swedish geography (or the bottle of Black Isle Hibernator that I was drinking at the time) ... no benefit in going from Grenaa then !!

The Troll wrote:
Deggsie - Aberdeen to Bergen?
Andy - as I recall, the Aberdeen/Bergen ferry went via Shetland (I think) but ceased running ages ago (I can find references to it having existed, but not when it stopped). It may have been a drop-off/pick-up (?) on the Newcastle route to Bergen/Stavanger which ended in 2008; there were moves to reinstate that about 8-9 years ago, which came to naught - shame, that would be useful too
The Shetland/Bergen leg was also operated by Smyril Line (who served Scrabster too), but those routes also stopped around 2008 (a bad year for getting to Scandinavia from Scotland/NE England).

PS I'm not the 'ferry anorak' that this would seem to suggest, just had family who worked for Hall Russell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 99 turbo
The Troll/Andy,

I see your point regards hours driven. No need to push on if you really don't need too.

We were thinking of getting to Sweden fairly sharpish, spend a few days there then take our time coming back. Probably spending a week or so stopping off on the way back through. Just bouncing ideas around really at this stage.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:21 am 
Saab Nut

Michael
Aye, we've got plenty time to think about it.

Deggsie
I knew there was once a Stavanger - Newcastle ferry once.
I worked in offshore Stavanger a few times in the 1980/90s, and remember seeing signs in town for the Newcastle ferry.

I've just checked Google maps. Bergen or Stavanger to Trollhattan is around 9 hours, so 11 to 12 hours with stops, so one overnight stop I guess, unless you're a masochist, or two people, aged around 25, driving a modern swish SAAB!
An old codger chugging along in a 96? Na....

I just found something on the internet, from 2015, where Holyrood was debating the possibility of resurrecting a Scotland - Scandinavia service.
They talk about Rosyth as the Scottish end, well that would be just grand, Rosyth is about 25 minutes from ma hoose!

Perhaps post Covid 19 there won't be same appetite for flying everywhere, and overland travel might have a resurgence, which in turn might increase the chance of a reinstatement of a Scandinavian ferry from the UK.
Link below.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/sp/?id=2015-01-13.9.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
deggsie wrote:
sgould wrote:
My mistake, put it down to rusty Swedish geography (or the bottle of Black Isle Hibernator that I was drinking at the time) ... no benefit in going from Grenaa then !!

The Troll wrote:
Deggsie - Aberdeen to Bergen?
Andy - as I recall, the Aberdeen/Bergen ferry went via Shetland (I think) but ceased running ages ago (I can find references to it having existed, but not when it stopped). It may have been a drop-off/pick-up (?) on the Newcastle route to Bergen/Stavanger which ended in 2008; there were moves to reinstate that about 8-9 years ago, which came to naught - shame, that would be useful too
The Shetland/Bergen leg was also operated by Smyril Line (who served Scrabster too), but those routes also stopped around 2008 (a bad year for getting to Scandinavia from Scotland/NE England).

PS I'm not the 'ferry anorak' that this would seem to suggest, just had family who worked for Hall Russell.

The Newcastle-Bergen ferry (DFDS) went via Kristiansand. IIRC the stop there was around breakfast time, followed by a nice scenic trip up the coast to Bergen. Most civilised.

I took that trip in ~02 and again in 08.
I did Harwich to Hamburg in '89
Harwich to Esbjerg in 98/99 IIRC
Newcastle to Gothenberg in '92 and 05(?)

I miss those ferry trips. DFDS had style, such as playing "Anchors Away" over the outside PA when setting sail.
And on the 2008 trip I got a tour of the engine room.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2008 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; 1971 VW Beetle 1300; 2013 VW Shuttle (T5) WAV
beardydave wrote:
DFDS had style,

DFDS were the 'enemy' in our house while I was growing up as my Father worked for NorfolkLine. However, NorfolkLine was integrated into DFDS in 2010, around when my Father left for other reasons.

I really like the NorfolkLine/DFDS Dover-Dunkirk route but that may be too southerly for this trip.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:34 pm 

Car Models: 1964 GT850
Might be interested in this, especially if a more direct ferry came online. Just a bit reluctant to add all that mileage to car.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am 
Saab Nut

Crocs
I agree, it is a looooong way.
I've been to continent twice with my 96, once to Sweden and once to Austria.
Each trip was around 2500 to 3000 miles.
Though to be honest, I love driving for the sake of driving, so it doesn't really phase me, I guess it's the wear and tear on a very old car, that's the issue.
In my case anyway.

I think we all hope and pray, that someone will re-instate some sort of UK to Scandinavia ferry route soon.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:06 pm 

Car Models: 1964 GT850
Yeh, like you, I don’t mind the drive, it’s the wear and tear on the car. Could always trailer it I suppose.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 pm 
Saab Nut

Trailering wouldn't be the same. Plus it would hugely increase the ferry fare, on the long North Sea crossings, that are best if going to Scandinavia. (though I suppose that does depend where you live in the UK).

It might cost a bunch more in fuel as well I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:26 pm 
Saab Nut

For planning purposes.

I've been looking at the distances from Ijmuiden (Eye-mou-den, "mou" as in "mountain".) (Ferry from North Shields/Newcastle),
Zeebrugge, (Ferry from Hull),
Hook of Holland Ferry from Harwich, and
Calais. (ex Dover.) to Trollhätten.

All routes involve taking the ferry from Putgarden in Germany to Rodby in Denmark., and going over the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo. The toll on the bridge is not cheap. I seem to remember it being something around the equivalent of £30 or £40 in 2015.

Assuming a "ball park" 1.5 euros/litre for fuel.
I seem to remember petrol being cheaper in Sweden than the UK, with an exchange rate of nearly 13 kroner to the ££ in 2015.

Distances and costs are very approximate. (Obviously very dependent on the fuel consumption of your car. I've used an arbitrary 35 mpg):-

From Ijmuiden to Trollhätten - 1200 km one way, 2400 km return, 1490 miles.
35 mpg= 42.6 gallons=circa 195 litres of fuel, ie circa 293 euros. (Return).

Hook of Holland to Trollhätten - 1230 kms, 2460 kms return, circa 1530 miles. 35 mpg, = 43.7 galls= circa 200 litres = 300 euros. (Return)

Zeebrugge to Trollhätten, 1350 km one way, 2700 kms return, circa 1680 miles. 35 mpg= 48 gallons= circa 220 litres of fuel, ie circa 330 euros (return)

Calais, to Trollhätten, 1460 kms one way,2920 kms return, circa 1813 miles, 35 mpg = 52 galls = 236 litres = 353 Euros (return)

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

I have found that, under normal circumstances, the shortest ferry crossing makes the cheapest route. Overnight ferries seem expensive. but when you have to travel to Dover from Scotland it may make the equation a bit different.

We are only 120 miles from the Channel Tunnel. We have tried Harwich- Hook, but it doesn't save many miles for us and the crossing was costly.

We did the Hull Rotterdam crossing once, when we went via York to drop off our son at uni., but it didn't appeal much, and we never repeated it.

I don't understand the desire for the Puttgarten-Rodby crossing. It's quite expensive and only saves one of the two big bridges. If I was going to use a ferry from Germany, I would look at the ones that go direct to Sweden. Keil-Gothenburg, or Sassnitz-Trelleborg. There are others from Travemünde.

If we decide to go to IntSaab in Sweden, there is an even bigger bundle of options!! :o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:19 pm 
Saab Nut

Sgould.
These were just the suggestion from Google maps.
As you've pointed out a lot does depend where you live in the UK.

I have relations on Insel Rugen, and passed that way in 2015.
Stayed a couple of nights with the rellies, and then took the Sassnitz to Trellborg ferry, which was quite a good crossing.

Your right about Dover Calais, for folks like us way up north, it's a pain to get to Dover.
I'd rather eat worms, than go to Dover....!
We actually love the long North Sea crossings, but they are not cheap, as you say.

Keil - Gothenburg also sounds like a good option. It would cut a big chunk from the amount of driving, but it is a 14 hr ferry. Just had a quick look, and it's around 700 euros return, for summer 21. Car, cabin, 2 people.

We just need a reinstatement of the Newcastle - Gothenburg ferry. That would make it very simple!
3 1/2 hours to North Shields, and about 1 hour from Gothenburg to Trollhattan!

Andy