UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: REMAINING UNFAITHFUL TO FACTORY STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS SINCE 1988
Car Model: OLD SAABS....NUMEROUS
ELLO ROB,OBSERVANT LITTLE SOD AREN'T THEE :wink:

RIDE HEIGHT IS EXACERBATED BY THE 205 50 15 TYRES AT THE MOMENT..........IT IS ALREADY DROPPED 40MM.......
BUT IT STILL DOES LOOK HIGH,COMPARED TO OTHER CARS....AS DOES ME N/A 99EMS WHITE RALLY CAR....

I HAVE CONSIDERED DROPPING IT MORE,ESPECIALLY IF YOU LOOK AT THE QUATTRO RIDE HEIGHT,OR OUR MINI :shock:

RATHER TORN,AT THE MOMENT......AS IT IS EITHER, GO ALL THE WAY,AND COMPLETELY GO FOR THE RACE CAR GEOMETRY....WHICH WILL MAKE THE RIDE UNBEARABLE FOR 'LEISURLEY' DRIVING ON THE ROAD.....AND WEAR ME TYRES OFF :twisted:

AND I KNOW,ONCE I START ON THAT ROUTE,I WILL START CHOPPING THE DOORS OUT,PERSPEXING EVERYTHING,DRILLING MORE HOLES IN EVERYTHING ETC ETC.......
WHICH IN TURN, MOVES ME INTO 'MODIFIED PRODUCTION' CLASS,THEN I NEED TO FIT THE ROLL CAGE ETC,AND GET AN RACMSA LOGBOOK.....

WE ARE STILL RUNNING THE TOE SETTINGS MADE BY A LENGTH OF STRING,AT THE MOMENT........

WHICH WAS A BIT LONGER THAN A SHOESTRING,BUT THEN AGAIN THIS YEAR, THE CAR IS REALLY BEING RUN ON A KNIFEDGE.......

TO BE HONEST,I HAD WELL EXPECTED THE ENGINE TO BLOW BY NOW...........SO IT IS RATHER BENEFICIAL,EVERYTHING IS MAINTAINING RELIABILITY SO FAR......BELIEVE ME,I HAVE TRIED TO BREAK IT !

TEN YEAR OLD GOODYEARS ON THE FRONT AIN'T HELPING TURN IN,BUT IT IS LITERALLY ALL I HAVE AT THE MOMENT.....BLACK, ROUND WITH AIR IN 'EM......

WHILST ME 99 TURBO WAS WITHIN A WHISKER,OF THE N/A 99 EMS AT AINTREE(FAST LONG STRAIGHTS).........THE EMS WOULD HAVE IT FOR BREAKFAST AT THREE SISTERS....GOT THE POT TO PROVE IT :wink:

IT IS AGONISING ,HAVING TO WAIT BEFORE YOU CAN PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL....EVEN THEN, THE TURBO STILL WANT'S TO UNDERSTEER.....

IN THE 99 EMS,THE NEGATIVE CAMBER ALLOWS IT TO BITE,TURN IN......ALLOWING FULL THROTTLE.THE EMS SUITS THREE SISTERS VERY WELL.......

BUT I HAVE SPECIFICALLY TARGETED CIRCUITS THIS YEAR,I HAVE COMPETED AT, WITH THE 99 EMS,TO DRAW A PARALELL,WITH THE TURBO........

THREE SISTERS WAS £100 ENTRY FEE,£20 IN PETROL.........AND DAMNED GOOD FUN TOO,ONLY 18 MILES DOWN THE ROAD

INTRESTINGLY PHIL SHORT WAS DOING THREE SISTERS, IN 48.5 SECS LAST YEAR IN HIS CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MINI.........3 SECS FASTER THAN HE COULD IN THE QUATTRO....

ANYHOW,THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.....THE CAR IS VERY MUCH STILL IN DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES........THAT IS WHAT, WINTER TIME IS FOR :corn:

SO HERE ,ARE ALL OF OUR THREE CARS IN VARIOUS POSES.......IT TOOK TEN YEARS TO GET THE 99 EMS AND MINI,WITHIN SIGHT OF A PODIUM......
I AIN'T ABOUT TO GIVE UP YET....

Attachments:
THREE SISTERS AUGUST 9TH 09.JPG
THREE SISTERS AUGUST 9TH 09.JPG [ 63.93 KiB | Viewed 5323 times ]
3 WHEELS.jpg
3 WHEELS.jpg [ 51.98 KiB | Viewed 5323 times ]
gt9m0292_whatnonegatives_std AINTREE 24 JUN.jpg
gt9m0292_whatnonegatives_std AINTREE 24 JUN.jpg [ 37.31 KiB | Viewed 5323 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm 
UKS Addict

HERE ARE A FEW PICS TO SHOW YOU HOW TIGHT THREE SISTERS IS.... A KARTING CIRCUIT IN FACT.........AND I'VE DONE HUNDREDS OF LAPS OF IT,IN THEM AS WELL :mrgreen:

Attachments:
THE FINAL STRAIGHT.JPG
THE FINAL STRAIGHT.JPG [ 71.83 KiB | Viewed 5321 times ]
YEP THE SKIDMARKS ARE WHERE SEVERAL CAR LOST IT.JPG
YEP THE SKIDMARKS ARE WHERE SEVERAL CAR LOST IT.JPG [ 74.85 KiB | Viewed 5321 times ]
KARTING CIRCUIT.JPG
KARTING CIRCUIT.JPG [ 70.78 KiB | Viewed 5321 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 am 
Carpin' On

Car Model: SAAB 900S/SCIROCCO GT
ELLO ROB,OBSERVANT LITTLE SOD AREN'T THEE Aye! Suppose I am really.

RIDE HEIGHT IS EXACERBATED BY THE 205 50 15 TYRES AT THE MOMENT..........IT IS ALREADY DROPPED 40MM.......Can’t remember without looking back now, what springs are they, are they chopped TBO springs? I wonder if ABBOTS (cough) would give you a set if you put some stickers on yer car, I bet they cost sod all to make, I know they are made in Sheffield, might be worth asking around, don’t know who you ask though.

BUT IT STILL DOES LOOK HIGH,COMPARED TO OTHER CARS....AS DOES ME N/A 99EMS WHITE RALLY CAR....That’s a rally car though for clearence, they also look higher without the bumpers ‘n’ all.

I HAVE CONSIDERED DROPPING IT MORE,ESPECIALLY IF YOU LOOK AT THE QUATTRO RIDE HEIGHT,OR OUR MINI How about dropping the wheel size to 14”, I used to use TVR Vixen wheels, these were very offset and from memory were 7 inch, it did look rather good though,

RATHER TORN,AT THE MOMENT......AS IT IS EITHER, GO ALL THE WAY,AND COMPLETELY GO FOR THE RACE CAR GEOMETRY....WHICH WILL MAKE THE RIDE UNBEARABLE FOR 'LEISURLEY' DRIVING ON THE ROAD.....AND WEAR ME TYRES OFF

AND I KNOW,ONCE I START ON THAT ROUTE,I WILL START CHOPPING THE DOORS OUT,PERSPEXING EVERYTHING,DRILLING MORE HOLES IN EVERYTHING ETC ETC.......No you won’t, leave it alone or I’ll be up the road to steal it.
WHICH IN TURN, MOVES ME INTO 'MODIFIED PRODUCTION' CLASS,THEN I NEED TO FIT THE ROLL CAGE ETC,AND GET AN RACMSA LOGBOOK.....Sod that, enjoy it how it is

WE ARE STILL RUNNING THE TOE SETTINGS MADE BY A LENGTH OF STRING,AT THE MOMENT........

WHICH WAS A BIT LONGER THAN A SHOESTRING,BUT THEN AGAIN THIS YEAR, THE CAR IS REALLY BEING RUN ON A KNIFEDGE.......and a bootlace!

TO BE HONEST,I HAD WELL EXPECTED THE ENGINE TO BLOW BY NOW...........SO IT IS RATHER BENEFICIAL,EVERYTHING IS MAINTAINING RELIABILITY SO FAR......BELIEVE ME,I HAVE TRIED TO BREAK IT ! Not trying hard enough in my opinion, yer brother looks like he is though, Tee, Hee

TEN YEAR OLD GOODYEARS ON THE FRONT AIN'T HELPING TURN IN,BUT IT IS LITERALLY ALL I HAVE AT THE MOMENT.....BLACK, ROUND WITH AIR IN 'EM......How about going to a SAAB dealer who have a tyre fitting bay, they will change tyres for the sake of it, I’ll bet there is loads with a good tread on them, you never know.

WHILST ME 99 TURBO WAS WITHIN A WHISKER,OF THE N/A 99 EMS AT AINTREE(FAST LONG STRAIGHTS).........THE EMS WOULD HAVE IT FOR BREAKFAST AT THREE SISTERS....GOT THE POT TO PROVE IT

IT IS AGONISING ,HAVING TO WAIT BEFORE YOU CAN PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL....EVEN THEN, THE TURBO STILL WANT'S TO UNDERSTEER.....

IN THE 99 EMS,THE NEGATIVE CAMBER ALLOWS IT TO BITE,TURN IN......ALLOWING FULL THROTTLE.THE EMS SUITS THREE SISTERS VERY WELL.......You should have stuck some M & S’s in the Clarion and asked if anyone would like to compete on the inner circuit, watch ‘em all run off.
BUT I HAVE SPECIFICALLY TARGETED CIRCUITS THIS YEAR,I HAVE COMPETED AT, WITH THE 99 EMS,TO DRAW A PARALELL,WITH THE TURBO........

THREE SISTERS WAS £100 ENTRY FEE,£20 IN PETROL.........AND DAMNED GOOD FUN TOO,ONLY 18 MILES DOWN THE ROAD….and that’s what it’s all about Frankie.

INTRESTINGLY PHIL SHORT WAS DOING THREE SISTERS, IN 48.5 SECS LAST YEAR IN HIS CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MINI.........3 SECS FASTER THAN HE COULD IN THE QUATTRO....

ANYHOW,THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.....THE CAR IS VERY MUCH STILL IN DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES........THAT IS WHAT, WINTER TIME IS FOR and will that be SS1, SS2 or Kielder, you big girls blouse.

SO HERE ,ARE ALL OF OUR THREE CARS IN VARIOUS POSES.......IT TOOK TEN YEARS TO GET THE 99 EMS AND MINI,WITHIN SIGHT OF A PODIUM......
I AIN'T ABOUT TO GIVE UP YET....I told yer yer brother tried harder

I think you have done great and it is an outstanding achievment and like you say, when do you stop spending, at the moment the car is 100% reliable, but how far can you go before things start to break, bigger turbo(bigger IC) more water injection, melted piston, can you sneek some METHONOL in somewhere (COUGH) then you’ll need a stronger box, then a diff’ which will explode all over Yorkshire, then bigger brakes (who needs brakes) by then, the fun starts to dwindle away so will yer money and so will yer family life, enjoy it mate like you are doing, take the lad, slap his knee on the way home and have a good time and think to yerself, ‘What a grand day out’.

Regards

Rob

I would put more smilys in, but as usual, you’ve nicked ‘em all, THUMBS UP, SMILING, GRINNING AND EXCITED.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:30 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
I'm sure I've told you this before, but when I was a bairn at school in Chester, we used to see an early Quattro come flying past up the A483 towards the Nuffield, always going like hell, always sounding totally unlike a standard Quattro. Turns out it was the illustrious Mr Short on his way to the day job, in the somewhat tweaked company hack provided by his weekend job :lol:

Car is serving you proud Birdie, good on you!

I can't help you with 15s, I've got loads of worn 17" tyres suitable for track & sprint use in various sizes...Like Rob says though, 14" rims could be an interesting option. We used 6x14 Wolfrace slots off a Scimitar on our old Combi "The Beast". I know TR6 rims fit too, though I've only used them in 15" size, on a different 99 Combi. There is bound to be a Triumph or similar PCD pattern available in 14" in a Minilite style. Perhaps the lower gearing would help too?

In fact, IIRC Will Gollop used to compete on 14s in his rallycross car??

96V4s...

Last edited by Fliptop on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm 
UKS Addict

NOW ALL YOU NEED IS THE MODEL :D

MARK
:D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 pm 
UKS Addict

That's a 900 :P

And I'd rather have the real thing :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:53 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
And 10/10 to Nutcase for being the chap who gets this mammoth thread to 100 pages :shock: :geek: :park:

96V4s...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Nah I just broke the funkyness of the 99 pages :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:56 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 04/04 9-5 2.0t Auto Arc Estate
Fliptop wrote:
I can't help you with 15s, I've got loads of worn 17" tyres suitable for track & sprint use in various sizes...Like Rob says though, 14" rims could be an interesting option. We used 6x14 Wolfrace slots off a Scimitar on our old Combi "The Beast". I know TR6 rims fit too, though I've only used them in 15" size, on a different 99 Combi.

Yep - the Scimitar GTE ones are 14" and the right PCD, but very slight POSITIVE offset (0.105" OUT) if you're thinking of the Wolfrace (6x14). Datsun 240Z are also apparently the same...as well as the TR6 ones
Other Scimitar wheels tend to be 5.5x14 (i.e. steels/Dunlop composite), but it trying a set of steels, make sure they're the later ones with a series of round holes - much stronger than the earlier ones with just 4 slots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:19 am 
UKS Addict

I AM STILL HERE CHAPS....

OULTON PARK BECKONED THIS WEEKEND,THE 'GOLD CUP' EVENT....LOTS OF HISTORIC RACING.....NOT FOR ME THOUGH,TIME TO CHUCK A BUCKET 'O WATER OVER THE CAR.......AND STICK IT ON THE 'SAAB OWNERS CLUB STAND'

QUITE A FEW RALLY REPLICAS THERE.......

SOME REAL ONES TOO,ON THE HISTORIC RALLY STAGE.....

Attachments:
SONETT.... DAVE... IN A TWO STROKE.JPG
SONETT.... DAVE... IN A TWO STROKE.JPG [ 72.29 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
99 EMS HISTORIC.JPG
99 EMS HISTORIC.JPG [ 92.13 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
STRATOS.JPG
STRATOS.JPG [ 99.9 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:25 am 
UKS Addict

MORE RALLY MACHINERY...........

Attachments:
SUNBEAM.JPG
SUNBEAM.JPG [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 5399 times ]
SAFARI CELICA.JPG
SAFARI CELICA.JPG [ 99.12 KiB | Viewed 5399 times ]
ROTHMANS.JPG
ROTHMANS.JPG [ 79.88 KiB | Viewed 5399 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:12 am 
UKS Addict

SIMON(BONZO DOG),
WE MET ON UKSAABS AROUND THREE YEARS AGO......AND SEVERAL TIMES AFTER THAT,IN PERSON

INDEED,WITHOUT HIS COMPELLING SUPPORT FROM THAT MOMENT ON........I DOUBT VERY MUCH,WHETHER THIS THREAD, WOULD EVER HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY.HIS 'MADCAP' ECCENTRIC HUMOUR,REMINDING US,THAT THERE IS A LITTLE MORE TO IT,THAN JUST CARS....

JUST FIVE MONTHS BACK,FOR OVER AN HOUR...........HE SAT IN THE DRIVING SEAT OF THE 99 TURBO, AT CHIPPING STEAM FAIR,DONNING FLOWERY SHIRT .......DISCUSSING THE FINER POINTS OF LIFE.......FROM A YORKSHIRE MAN'S POINT OF VIEW,OF COURSE.......AMIDST MUCH LAUGHTER.....

A 'KINDRED SPIRIT',EVERY TIME I OPEN THE DOOR OF THIS CAR....

OR SAM TAKES TO HIS 'POGO STICK'

I WOULD ASK,AS A MARK OF RESPECT... IF THE 'MODS', COULD NOW PLEASE 'LOCK' THIS THREAD.......

'BONZO DOG'............YOU ARE SADLY MISSED :cry:

JULIAN

Attachments:
BONZO DOG AND BONZOOKI AT CHIPPING 2009.JPG
BONZO DOG AND BONZOOKI AT CHIPPING 2009.JPG [ 78.95 KiB | Viewed 5347 times ]

ENJOY IT.

Last edited by Nev on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked at BIRDIE'S request.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:59 am 
UKS Addict

I THINK THESE 2 LINKS REQUIRE COPYING IN HERE.......

SOMETIMES IT IS RATHER DIFFICULT TO FIND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED,WHETHER IT IS SIMPLY BEING DISCUSSED,OR FACTUAL......?

AS REGARDS 99 TURBO DEVELOPMENT,THIS IS PROBABLY 'GOLD DUST'..... :|

IT ANSWERS A LOT OF QUESTIONS,MAYBE EXPLODES A FEW MYTHS....?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=77024&hilit=99+TURBO+RALLY+MODS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=66005&hilit=MORE+POWER+FOR+YOUR+99+TURBO

BIRDIE

ENJOY IT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75